• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Will my snake be ok?

yellowbellyhippy

PaganVeganHippie!
Grrr.... My husband took Sid (my very large corn) and took him in the bedroom (he was mad at me)

Well, he left the snake in the room and came out here (living room) and when he went back Sid had crawled up the dresser through the handles and was stuck!

We couldn't unscrew the handles because we have no tools and they are very old...painted over and over into the wood.

So oil was our only option. Im a health junkie and only have the very best oils in my house. It was unsulfurated organic coconut oil (I use it for all frying and add it to my smoothies.)

Well, after we slowly got him free, I was concerned about the oil on his skin. I filled the tub with cool water and tried to rinse it but you know how oil is without soap. Obviously Im not going to soap the poor guy up.

I patted him dry and put him back in his viv. Im sure he is stressed, everytime my husband gets him out something bad happens! Very frustrating.

Anyways, do you think he will be ok?

I think there may be a safe soap to use. I've heard of people that do reptile shows giving there snakes a light bath with soap so that they don't smell for the show. Don't know what to recommend or even if this is common practice. Just something I've seen done.

I think there may be a safe soap to use. I've heard of people that do reptile shows giving there snakes a light bath with soap so that they don't smell for the show. Don't know what to recommend or even if this is common practice. Just something I've seen done.
You'd have to be damned meticulous about the ingredients and amount of soap. It'd be easier to simply wash him in the cool water.

Tara, you did the right thing and he should be fine. Give him a few days to relax before handling again maybe? And consider investing in a locking lid, if you husband is fond of using animals as ransom in an argument.

If you're really worried about the oil, a little dilute vinegar might be useful for getting it off harmlessly. I don't think a little coconut oil is going to hurt him though.

Maybe even use a very mild dish soap solution to break up the oil. I suggest it because it's a suggestion to help remove mites. So if it's safe to remove mites, then it's got to be safe to use on removing oil.

Wayne

Forget washing him, Tara. Dust him off with some cornstarch. It will absorb the oil and it won't harm him, nor should it really stress him all that much. Then give your spouse a light tap upon the head for walking out on the snake! ;)

Forget washing him, Tara. Dust him off with some cornstarch. It will absorb the oil and it won't harm him, nor should it really stress him all that much. Then give your spouse a light tap upon the head for walking out on the snake! ;)

You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to LBoz again.

I was going to tell you,your being to kind with the "light" tap....lol

Good advice and well said, lol.

I was going to tell you,your being to kind with the "light" tap....lol

LOL! If it was MY s.o., it would be multiple "taps" about the head and shoulders, but Tara is a peaceful type, so I didn't want to be a bad influence. ;)

Last edited:
I don't think I would worry about it at all Tara. If you feel you really need to do something Lori's idea of cornstarch is a good idea.

Tell you husband to quit taking his snake out.

I'd probably be inclined towards moderate spousal violence, personally. What sensible adult puts a pet at risk, and why? To get at you through the animal? Get a lock for the viv.

Yep. You need locks.

My dude asks permission to do anything near the snakes. Let alone take them out. Its about respect. They're not his, and he doesn't know what's best for them...I do. This is why he asks permission first. I hardly ever have a reason to say 'not right now' but if I ever do, he respects my wishes. He gets the same sort of respect with his projects.
To me, any thing less would be unacceptable.

I'd probably be inclined towards moderate spousal violence, personally. What sensible adult puts a pet at risk, and why? To get at you through the animal? Get a lock for the viv.
I agree! Personally, I find it slightly alarming that someone would use an innocent creature as leverage in an argument, and to add to it, leave the animal in a predicament to get injured or even killed.
I have no spouse, but if it were a friend, other family member, etc... I would absolutely go ballistic. And to add that the snake got injured (as minor as the injury was), that would be it... gone, see ya, don't let the door hit you in the @$$ on the way out.

Agreed. My hubby hates my dog with a passion, but would never bring him into an argument.

Back