• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

To all the Burmese owners!

Snake Dave

Schrödinger's cat
Hey everyone

Just a couple of questions here for all you Burmese Python owners.

1) Where do you keep him/her? If you could show me some pictures that'd be great.

2)Handling? I'm guessing that when they get above 7 feet they get hard to handle alone. If so, then what do you do when you're alone, can you stroke him/her?

That's all for now lol

Thanks

David

Hi Dave.
Ive never owned one, and at 16 I dont think you should consider it just yet.
Just my opinion. :santa:

Dave, I don't think a snake too big for 1 person to handle safely would be a good snake for 'stroking'. If you were alone and opened the viv you'd be putting yourself in danger, surely?

LMAO! Guys I know! Don't worry I'm not considering getting one at all, ever. They're far too big and I wouldn't want an animal that could kill me as a pet lol.

I simply made this thread to ask those questions to people who do own them, just out of interest as I like learning. :)

Never owned a large burm but used to have retics. So speaking of large snakes in general...
The cages were hand made super sturdy wooden cages with plexiglass fronts. Sorry, no pics as this was in the day before digital cameras. ;)

Handling, it's never safe to handle or even stroke a large snake while alone. During cleaning we always had me, my husband and two other guys to help move the snakes around. Once they get so big, they are more a piece of furnature than a pet. Though we used to take them out for exercise from time to time. HTH.

Snake Dave said:
Hey everyone

Just a couple of questions here for all you Burmese Python owners.

1) Where do you keep him/her? If you could show me some pictures that'd be great.

2)Handling? I'm guessing that when they get above 7 feet they get hard to handle alone. If so, then what do you do when you're alone, can you stroke him/her?

That's all for now lol

Thanks

David

I dunno how I missed this thread before. OH wait, yes I do. I've been reading that fricken cohabbing thread too much.

Anyway, here's my situation. I live alone, but my girlfriend is over a lot so that helps with the burm stuff. I don't think there's a magic number when it comes to length where a snake is no longer safe to handle alone. I think it's a rather vague idea brought about by length/weight and attitude. I don't own a retic, but I take care of one at the zoo and given a 10' retic and a 10' burm, I'd more readily handle the burm myself in most cases. They're both big enough to do some damage, but a lot of times the attitude is totally different.

Anyway my burm's cage is posted here - http://www.cornsnakes.com/forums/showpost.php?p=491495&postcount=3

The cage is homemade (by the previous owner, not by me... I'm in the process of planning one that isn't so tall and looks nicer :). It's 8x4x4 (again it doesn't need to be that tall), and it has 1/4" plex sides. Realistically, a big snake will have no trouble going though 1/4" plex if it really wants to hit hard, so that's one thing you have to plan for. Anyone wanting to own a big snake needs to understand that it will eventually need its own room. You can't exactly put a cage or snake that big in the middle of your living room and not have it get in the way.

My burm is around 10'5" and 50 pounds or so, so she's still fairly small for a burmese, but I have no less respect for her power than one twice her size.

And to put it in a little different perspective, you know that vague idea of "how dangerous is the snake" I mentioned above? I think it has something to do with the handler too. Not that any amount of muscle is going to get an 18' burm or retic off of you by yourself, but obviously a 6'6", 300 pound football player might stand a better chance than a 10 year old kid.

I'm a 24 year old zookeeper so I'm supposed to be a professional, but beyond that I'm also 5'8" or 5'9" and 130 lbs, and I never let myself forget that when I go in with a large snake or gator, even with another person.

I used to keep a 14 ft burm, and I handled it alone. I'm not saying it's safe to do so but it's not as dangerous as some people say. I never let it wrap around me, I always gauged its mood and never got anywhere I couldn't get out of. These snakes don't move as fast as some people think ,and keeping a towel with you helps confuse the snake if it goes pear shaped.
It's something you get used to as the snake grows .
It's called experience
MIKE

TrpnBils said:
I dunno how I missed this thread before. OH wait, yes I do. I've been reading that fricken cohabbing thread too much.

Anyway, here's my situation. I live alone, but my girlfriend is over a lot so that helps with the burm stuff. I don't think there's a magic number when it comes to length where a snake is no longer safe to handle alone. I think it's a rather vague idea brought about by length/weight and attitude. I don't own a retic, but I take care of one at the zoo and given a 10' retic and a 10' burm, I'd more readily handle the burm myself in most cases. They're both big enough to do some damage, but a lot of times the attitude is totally different.

Anyway my burm's cage is posted here - http://www.cornsnakes.com/forums/showpost.php?p=491495&postcount=3

The cage is homemade (by the previous owner, not by me... I'm in the process of planning one that isn't so tall and looks nicer :). It's 8x4x4 (again it doesn't need to be that tall), and it has 1/4" plex sides. Realistically, a big snake will have no trouble going though 1/4" plex if it really wants to hit hard, so that's one thing you have to plan for. Anyone wanting to own a big snake needs to understand that it will eventually need its own room. You can't exactly put a cage or snake that big in the middle of your living room and not have it get in the way.

My burm is around 10'5" and 50 pounds or so, so she's still fairly small for a burmese, but I have no less respect for her power than one twice her size.

And to put it in a little different perspective, you know that vague idea of "how dangerous is the snake" I mentioned above? I think it has something to do with the handler too. Not that any amount of muscle is going to get an 18' burm or retic off of you by yourself, but obviously a 6'6", 300 pound football player might stand a better chance than a 10 year old kid.

I'm a 24 year old zookeeper so I'm supposed to be a professional, but beyond that I'm also 5'8" or 5'9" and 130 lbs, and I never let myself forget that when I go in with a large snake or gator, even with another person.

Thanks for the great post mate.

And thanks Mike for yours, you never told me that before!

What did you do with it in the end?

Snake Dave said:
Thanks for the great post mate.

And thanks Mike for yours, you never told me that before!

What did you do with it in the end?
I had a very large Yellow anaconda 9ft (LOL)
A 10ft retic, the burm and a large Boa at the time as well as a spider, stick insects, corns and a garter snake. Then my landlord said "hey Mike your gonna have to move, I'm selling the house" I found homes for them all and had to move,simple as that. I do have a few photos though.
Thats when I realised I needed to own my own property to have a zoo..LOL
MIKE

Back