• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Dedicated snake room?? (small breeders)

Gralena

Corn Snake Diva
I know some of the breeders on this forum have a relatively small setup in their homes....maybe a dedicated room in their house, or a snake "shed" out back. For those that do, do you keep the whold room a steady temperature? Or do you still use a heat source (like heat tape or uth)?
Is there anyone that lives in Florida that has a room/shed outside set up? If so, how do you keep it cool/warm...

Anyone have pictures?

(I'm just trying to get ideas because I am moving to Florida in July and my hubby says I can have a dedicated snake "place" and am trying to get some ideas)

Thanks!! :)

0.1 SQ Ghost "Cleo", 1.0 Hypo "Big Mac"

With only two snakes, I wouldnt worry about it right now, but if you are planning on having 20 or more adult breeders, it is not a bad idea. Personally I use the back room of my house. I keep it between 78 and 84 right now. In brumation I get it to just below 60. I use no under the tub heat at the moment, I am set up for it, but I live in an older home and do not trust the wiring so much. When/if I move I would keep the room temps slightly cooler, and use the belly heat. I have three racks that hold 18 adult corns/kings each (31 qt tubs). They are not completely full, but will be shortly. Right now I have 16 clutches (210 eggs) with a few more on the way. When everything I currently have/am keeping is an adult, I will definitely need an insulated shed out back.

With only two snakes, I wouldnt worry about it right now, but if you are planning on having 20 or more adult breeders, it is not a bad idea. Personally I use the back room of my house. I keep it between 78 and 84 right now. In brumation I get it to just below 60. I use no under the tub heat at the moment, I am set up for it, but I live in an older home and do not trust the wiring so much. When/if I move I would keep the room temps slightly cooler, and use the belly heat. I have three racks that hold 18 adult corns/kings each (31 qt tubs). They are not completely full, but will be shortly. Right now I have 16 clutches (210 eggs) with a few more on the way. When everything I currently have/am keeping is an adult, I will definitely need an insulated shed out back.

Thanks for the info. I know I would not need a "room" for just my 2 snakes...:)...I am planning on expanding my collection and ultimately breeding as well. Just wondered what others did about temps and such.

I have 12 snakes in my living room and this past winter the whole house was kept at 80 degrees and UTH were used on the ones that needed it. I am moving them into the room off the living room and each one will have heat supplied to them as needed so we can reduce the temp of the house this coming winter to where it was last year - 74.

I am actually thinking about using a wine celler like they sell in Lowes for a brumation chamber. I will be doing small scale breeding and the wine celler temps can be requlated between 65 and 35 degrees. This was I can get them at a constant temp and not have to worry about outside and room temps.

I know some of the breeders on this forum have a relatively small setup in their homes....maybe a dedicated room in their house, or a snake "shed" out back. For those that do, do you keep the whold room a steady temperature? Or do you still use a heat source (like heat tape or uth)?
Is there anyone that lives in Florida that has a room/shed outside set up? If so, how do you keep it cool/warm...

Anyone have pictures?

(I'm just trying to get ideas because I am moving to Florida in July and my hubby says I can have a dedicated snake "place" and am trying to get some ideas)

Thanks!! :)

Not a breeder but I have a snake room...I did it up in a Jungle Theme

ca2.jpg

room.jpg

The room is slightly warmer then the rest of the house at 74 degrees...I dont heat the room, I heat the tanks.

We have a snake room for established animals. I think that we currently have around 50 adult/sub adult corns, 50 ball pythons, etc. in that room. The room itself is kept at a constant 80 by a room heater. The bps also have heat tape under their racks which bump them up a few more degrees. If you were just doing colubrids, keeping one room heater would probably be easier. We also always have a backup heater in the closet just in case something goes wrong.

some day..maybe someday....

right now I have a snake closet :)

Not so glamorous, but it works and keeps the cats out!

Good thread idea though....I would love to have a room dedicated to them in the future!

Back