• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

I have a question.

thrawn

So, for maybe 3 weeks, one of my baby snake spend most of his time in his water bowl. I know it help to lost their skin, but it's the first time he do that.
I know i've put another snake with him, the same age and all. Do you think it's because he is sick or the other snake beat him? Sorry, if there is mystake, my first language is french. Thanks for any answers.

Hanging out a lot in his water dish could be a sign of a number of things. You could have a mite infestation (look for small black specks in the water or on your snake), your temperature might be too hot (try to achieve a hot side of 85*), he could be stressed out from the other snake and just trying to get away, I would separate them myself, its easier to monitor your snake's health if they are alone. You are right some snakes will hang out in their water dish at shed time but 3 weeks seems like a really really long time to me.

Some of the others should be along soon too.

You have opened a real can of worms my friend.

It is a bad idea to keep two snakes together. What is most likely the case is the snake in the bowl is hiding from the other snake. Cohabitation causes a lot of stress in the snakes that will eventually lead to problems of one kind or another.

A snake may lie in the water bowl when going through the shed cycle. He may also get in the water bowl if he feels more secure in there. If it were not for the addition of the second snake I would advise you to add more hides for the snake. But in this case I think it is the second snake that is the problem.

Stress is the most likely cause. Please separate them as soon as you can.

Also, the temperature in the tank could be too high.

ok well,I'll seperate them and I'll see what will happen. His color have changed too, he seems less active. But he haven't stop to eat.

He may be going into a shed cycle. Not all snakes go off their feed while sheding.

They have their own place now. Just need to find a few things and it's gonna perfect. No one is in the water bowl now so i guess it's a good sign. Thanks for your answer.

By the way, on the mite note, there are actually more then one species of mites. You may find little red mites too, usually people say the red mites are harmless, but I know from personal expirience they can cause alot of issues also.
I'm glad seperating your snakes solved the problem. But there is also the posability your snake was just pretty inteligent. My blizzard when he was a baby used to throw himself in his waterbowl when he was shedding. If you think about it shedding off dry skin must be pretty itchy.
If your snake returns to the water again though and stays for a long period of time, you may want to check any heaters or the temperature gradient in your home. Some snakes have been known to drown themselfs trying to stay cool in warm climates. Expecialy babies.

My 2 corns are in together. They said where i bought them that this was ok. I dont seem to have a problem, in fact they are hard to seperate. They have both taken to sleeping underneath the water bowl.

in fact they are hard to seperate.

That's because they are both looking for the ideal temperature and hiding place, and it's going to be the same for both of them. It's not because they enjoy each others company.

Please do some searches here for topics on cohabbing - there are real risks involved and you need to be making an informed decisoin about whether to continue.

Back