• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Confused

merlin3365

I'm a little bit confused.
I know that i need to get an under the tank heat mat so that a snake can regulate their body temps.
i also under stand the need for a thermostat to make sure the temp is right in the tank
Is that all a snake needs as far as heating goes or am I missing something.
Because when i had my first snake I used a low wattage Day light and a night light, because i wasn't aware that an under the tank heat mat was an option.
I have been looking around the Forum and i keep seeing mentions of dimmers
I just was wondering what is exactly needed to set up my future new snakes home the best way possible.

Well as far as heating goes, yes a under tank heater(UTH) is one of the best and most convenient options out there as far as heating goes. As for the thermostat I would highly recommend that, it's purpose it to keep the heat at a desired level, if the heat goes above that setting the thermostat will shut the UTH or any other heating device off until the desired setting is reached again. As for measuring the temperature that would be a thermometer, I would still get one just to make sure the heat is at the desired level just in case something happens to the thermostat. As for dimmers, also called rheostats, only decrease or increase the wattage going into the heat device you are using, they are not as accurate as thermostats which can cause the heat to fluctuate, basically with a thermostat you put your desired setting in and you don't have to worry about it, but with a dimmer(rheostat) you have to constantly go back and adjust the amount of wattage, so you can get the desired heat. An under tank heater and a thermostat are all you need to maintain the heat in the tank, but you must make sure that the UTH is for your size of tank, it should say on the box. If you have any more question or you need me to explain in more detail just PM me or post back on this thread and I will answer your questions as soon as possible.

Great summary, and I agree with the conclusions. UTH + thermostat is probably the most reliable combination, although I may be a bit biased as it's the setup that I have for all of mine.

Having said that, there are plenty of folks here who use other methods successfully. There's always a range of opinions/options available to confuse matters!

Sorry about that look what happens when you leave your computer on while you go to work with your housemate in.

Back