• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

baby snake and young girl!!

Snakebite001

hi im a new person here on this website so i better introduce myself....
im lizzy and i am 13 years old and have a Baby corn snake called Sidney!
Sidney is very gentle and wouldnt hurt anything..*except his food*, by recently hes been gripping my hand really tight and curling around it tighter and tighter.And since i havent had himn 4 long i get scared REALLY easily!
so i have 2 questions actully!

1) how can *if i can* stop him from tightin aroung my hand?
2)how can i get more conferdence??

Lizzy and sidney xxxx

Don't Worry,

Little Sidney is holding on the best, and only, way he can. He's just as frightened, maybe more so, than you. Make him feel secure and he will ease up on the constricting. He will never be able to constrict you so tight that it hurts, so relax and enjoy the little bugger.

As Gregg says. As for your confidence, that will come only with spending time with your snake. It comes quickly as you get to know each other. Enjoy it

Hi Lizzy,
I can totally understand where your coming from. If you have a reptile for the first time, especially a baby, it may be difficult to inturpret snake's killer instinct to trying to grip on for dear life.
I think maybe you would have gained more confidence getting an Adult first rather than a young'un. I've recently had my cornsnake eggs hatch and I've had to handle them into boxes and move them about and stuff.
You just need to realise that being as young as they are they've not had much handling or climbing experience (And your this weird big species that they don't understand). So when they're wrapped around your fingers and squeezing you like you're food, don't worry, they're just exercising and getting used to your fingers. I'm sure that most snakes do these sort of things and guage your warmth when your scared or laughing, something that increases your heart-rate and makes you warmer and more desireable to the snake.

All I can say about your confidence is; to trust the snake. 99% of Cornsnakes (plus my 12 hatchlings and my 2 Adults) are very docile and don't won't to bite, strangle or harm you in anyway. The worst they do is deficate on you. Just let the snake have a feel of you and how to cope with being handled.

It'll learn as it grows. Out of interest do you know whether its male or female?

P.S the little pic is my 2 Adult snakes, Ruby (red-albino female) and Lord Diamond (Snowcorn male)

Attachments

• diamond&ruby.jpg
    diamond&ruby.jpg
    53.8 KB · Views: 170
hi lizzy
hopefully all the advice given will let have a bit more understanding of whats going on ,with you an your baby snake
if you go to your local herp show ,they may let you hold an adult...good luck

to jayde,
do you have any pic of your hatchling 's
cheers

Hahaha, now funnyly enough 5 mins ago I was trying to take a pic of my hatchlings but somethings wrong with my camera and it makes all my images orange which isn't too good when the hatchlings are red, orange and white!
I think it's a low-battery power thing! :confused:
They are red-albino like their mum and they have her unique saddle split halfway down the back like a heart shape.

Once the camera works properly I'll post some pics of them and better ones or Ruby & Lord Diamond.

Hi Lizzie, just as everyone has said you have to get used to each other you'll be fine. I have two corn's Wilma is nearly two years and she just glide's away, never hold's on too tight but Tango is a year old next month and she cling's on for dear life , the difference of snake's. Your's will be holding on tight because it is all new to him,especially if he is a baby.

Hey Lizzie

I know what you mean. My
friend said that his cornsnake used
to squeeze around his wrist whenever
he picked him up. But one day he just
stopped. So my advice is to, just wait
for a while until he gets used to you.
Bye.

Hi ya' Lizzy!
I got a pic of one of my hatchlings. Now there were 12 like that! hahahaha. And they all squeeze when you handle them.
Hope you like the pic. They all look like their mum, Ruby!

Attachments

• jun12_04.jpg
    jun12_04.jpg
    37.8 KB · Views: 127
Hi Lizzie,

My daughter is 8 years old and she has two corn snakes; pumpkin a normal male and princess a ghost female. Pumpkin has always been relaxed from the day we bought him. He's sorta like a wet noodle and just sits there draped over my daughter's hand. Princess on the other hand would wrap around her hand with a vice like grip. We've had her for a bout 2 months now and she has started to relax. The more you handle Sidney, the more comfortable he'll be with being handled. He may not completely grow out of feeling like he needs to hang on for dear life, but he will get a bit more relaxed in time.

Peter

Back