• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Tall tank, brumation

Guy123

Hi,

I've kept garters for years but am looking to get a corn snake and a Mexican black kingsnake. I had a few questions I was hoping you could answer:

1/ I have an ExoTerra 36" long by 18" wide by 36" tall tank. Would a corn snake use that height if I put a shelf in there and climbing opportunities? Between a corn and a MBK, which would use that height the most? Or is shorter enclosure better?

2/ I'm looking to get an MBK yearling that is currently in brumation. Is it OK if I take it out of brumation? If so, how would you do that? (I have heard from the owner, but want to see what you think.)

Thank you.

Most corns will climb if given the opportunity. Babies, especially, love to climb and will often rest in a fake plant up high off the ground. Most of my adults climb as well, but they seem to prefer hiding on the ground. I haven't owned an MBK, so I can't say whether they'd be more climby than a corn or not, but I'd imagine that they're probably fairly similar?

You can take it out of brumation, although it would be best to do it slowly, increasing the temps a little over the course of a week or two and definitely not feeding right away.

Most corns will climb if given the opportunity. Babies, especially, love to climb and will often rest in a fake plant up high off the ground. Most of my adults climb as well, but they seem to prefer hiding on the ground. I haven't owned an MBK, so I can't say whether they'd be more climby than a corn or not, but I'd imagine that they're probably fairly similar?

You can take it out of brumation, although it would be best to do it slowly, increasing the temps a little over the course of a week or two and definitely not feeding right away.

Thank you for the input! Appreciate it!

Back