• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Handling Question.

Razorblade Jinx

ok, so just out of curiosity, how much do you all handle each snake? time wise? by the way, i got a digital camera and finally got a nice pic of my two babies... (my avatar). cute hah?

I handle silas every day for AGES, probably cos i have nothing better to do (hwk etc can wait LOL)

BTW your snakes are really nice. I really like the colours of your chocolate the contrast is amazing.

P.S what are the genetics behind a chocolate, and what do you have to x to make them

I've only had seether for about 3 months now but I hold him at least 10 minutes every day. Except for 48 hours after he ate, Or during blue phase "sheding". when he's older I'm hoping he'll like to just hang out on my arm while I watch TV or go out side with me. :)

It varies. My python I handle when I want to sit down and watch tv, and the cornsnake I handle when I'm doing house chores. Can't sit still with him... he won't let me! lol

Every day (except for 48 hours after feeding) for at least 20 mins each, but 9 times out of 10 it's usually more like 30-45 mins EACH.

Although some people handle them all the time, i suppose some big breeders would find it difficult to find time to handle all their snakes, so they won't handle them as much.

It all depends of personal preference and time availability

Chocolate is what I called it because I wasn’t sure what she was. August is actually some sort of anerythristic… I am not sure if she is “a” or “b” though. On the one hand she has no yellow anywhere, very white bottom, and bluish background with dark chocolate brown dark spots. It’s hard to pin point. In some lighting she looks lilacy purple… also, Circe may be Ocatee, I am not sure.
http://www.reptimania.co.uk/cornmorphs.htm

I'm the oddball here, I don't handle my snakes all that often. Maybe twice per week. I take them out to feed and to clean the viv's. Occasionally someone will come over and want to see one and I'll take it out. Old habits are hard to break, I read in a Chris Mattison book once that you shouldn't take your snake out "just to play with it" and it kinda stuck. I kinda think it helps keep the stress levels low with the minimal handling.JMO

Um... but why get a pet snake if you "shouldn't play with it" ? :shrugs:

I mean, ya might as well just get a fish .....

Or a plant...

No offense, but I mean? seriously :eek1:

SeethersWind said:
Um... but why get a pet snake if you "shouldn't play with it" ? :shrugs:

I mean, ya might as well just get a fish .....

Or a plant...

No offense, but I mean? seriously :eek1:
Good point, but I don't think of my snakes as pets. I have a few that I don't intend to breed and I handle these more than the others

i myself breed chinchillas, and i can for sure understand the not handling thing. My chinchillas get snuggles once a week if their lucky, even less when the females are preggers. The only ones that really get much attention are the kits, which have to be socialized to sell as good pets.

I agree on the "what's the point if you cant handle it" though. I allways descrve the care needed with my baby corns as "like fish, only you can hold them!"

Some of my snakes get handled almost DAILY (especially in the warm months when I can take them outside...gives me something to do while supervising the kids!!)...but a portion of them get handled rarely...I usually try to handle ALL of them at least once a week...for ten minutes or so...
But I still have my favorites and they get most of the attention...

This is kinda off topic...but I used to play with my fish, lol. I used to take them for walks in my Minnie Mouse fanny pack, and then come home and flush 'em, I also used to push my guinea pigs in a baby stroller.

I handle my teacher's snakes (the ones having the babies) if I stay after school.

can you handle to much?

with my eastern milk and corn i use to handle them for a whole movie (not both at once) after mabie 45 mins i notice they whould curl up and i use to take my hands and cover them like a cave and the after 5 mins of doin that they stick there head out flick there tounge come on top on my hand and the go back in then i would put them back in there vivs. will handle for that leght of time stress them, would that explain there behavior?

Once a week when it's feeding time. Maybe twice if their tub needs attention.

Last edited:
We have 18 right now, so I try to handle at least one snake every day. Sometimes I spend hours in the snake room, holding them one at a time. I really want to work with the babies to get them well settled so they aren't out of control as adults. I have one or two faves and a few that are more entertaining than others and really like to be out, others don't care if they ever come out. There are a couple that I almost never take out, for reasons of personality conflict (they don't seem to care for me, but they like other people). On the other hand, because I am the primary care person and handle them more often, some of them get nervous when my husband holds them. That just means like they like me better!! LOL

Spot lives in my classroom, so he gets held Monday - Friday unless he's just eaten. The woman I inherited him from had an elementary classroom and he was used to being held by children constantly. I worried this would be an adjustment for him, but he seems content to hang out around my neck and join me for yard duty once in awhile. He's happy and has gotten used to his new environment. The majority of my students enjoy him and those that are hesitant sit far away from him, but they stop by his tank for a close look every once in awhile. :wavey:

Spot's mama said:
but he seems content to hang out around my neck and join me for yard duty once in awhile. QUOTE]
You ought to tell them how little Spot is... *giggle* :cheers:

Back