View Single Post
Old 08-09-2021, 08:30 AM   #4
67temp
So i plan on getting a corn snake, it will be my first tank! So I figured ide come here and get more information on everything before I just go and get one.

I plan on housing him in either a 65 or 75 gallon tank. ( have both laying around in my shed)Are those too big or bigger the better?? Most people go with a minimum of tank length + width should equal the length of the adult snake. For using a larger tank with a smaller baby make sure to provide a thick layer of substrate and plenty of places to hide.

Im ok on substrate and decor. My next question would be about lighting. I've had a bearded dragon for about 10 years, and I know they require alot more lightning then snakes or corn snakes. I dont povide any additional lighting.

So for lightning do people recommend having a light on top of the tank on the hot side and ALSO a heating pad underneath the substrate? And if so does the heating pad stay on 24/7 or turn off when I turn off the heat lamp at night? Do you suggest putting thier hidding spot on top of where the heating pad is? A heat pad under one side of the tank controlled by thermostat is usually recommended. Have hides on the hot side, cool and some in between.

As for humidity? I read conflicting things from 50% all the way up to 80% so I'm wondering what everyone else does? And how do they keep thier humidity? Just spray the substrate and monitor the readings? 50-80% is typically for ball pythons. I've had the ambient humidity in me snake room down to 20% in the winter and still get full sheds. Normally my room is around 40%. A humid hide can also be used.

Also since you are in new jersey you will be limited to what you can legally own for corn snakes. So read up on the laws.