• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Corn snake in the kid's room

Yeah that's no worry. With any reptile, the only real concern is the slight possibility of contracting salmonella, so as long as your son washes his hands after handling, he should be fine.

My children had a multitude of reptiles (including corn snakes) in their room when they were growing up and we never had a single issue (though we always practiced good hygiene as hypnoctopus suggested). I believe it really depends on the child (Are they responsible? Can they leave the reptile alone when it needs private time? and so on...) and on the personality of the individual reptile (ie., is it grumpy by nature, mellow, etc?)

Keeping reptiles can be a great way for a child to learn responsibility as well as respect for other living creatures though I believe it’s ultimately the parents’ responsibility to actively supervise the situation and to ensure the reptile is getting proper care. It can also (as is the case for one of my kids) foster a lifelong passion for reptiles (it is also a major factor in her deciding to pursue bio-tech during her time at university).

Back