• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

New Corn....Got Questions...

jrobinson

J&M Herp Shack
Just picked her up over the weekend at the Midwest Reptile in Indianapolis, Indiana... Just need to know when i could try and handler her, and when i should offer her first feeding, she was hatched November 2004, feeding on pinks right now... And at what length/age do i move up to fuzzies? thanks in advance...

see pics here http://www.cornsnakes.com/forums/showthread.php?t=18609

cornman1979 said:
5 days should be ok for handleing, and when s/he reaches around 15-18 inches long a fuzzie should be ok.

Hi Jayr, The time to move onto fuzzies is not to do with length but to do with the girth of the snake. When 1 pinkie leaves an only just distinguishable lump in the belly after a feed, move the snake onto 2 pinks per feed on the same schedule. Once the snake is established on 2 pinks (after a few weeks or a couple of months depending on the individual growth rate) you can move onto fuzzies. try to guage your snakes girth and then pick a fuzzy about 1½ times the diameter so that you're not stressing the snake by feeding too large an item but you are still moving up to an appropriate sized item at a reasonable rate. PM me for photos of my snakes eating food items in the right size if you like. I've already posted the pics in the past and I don't want to clog it up by posting the same thing over again. Good luck,
Adèle

I agree with everything Adele said...

As far as handling, give the little guy about 5-7 days to settle in with his new surroundings..Good luck!

I've just gotten myself a new corn as well. I put him in his new house on sat and didn't touch him, but I took him out yesterday. He doesn't have much in his tank yet, and seems to like being handled so I took him out to let him have some excersize. I think it depends on the snake, if he's burrowing and hiding a lot you should probably give him a few days. But if he's out in the open and doesn't mind being handled you should be okay to handle him sooner than five days. It's good to get to learn his personality and you should try to figure out its personality a little. As for feeding her, that should depend on when the pet store was feeding her. If you don't know wait three or four days then try a pinkie is my advice.

Back