• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Moved Up To Fuzzies

CaseyUndead

Well, i was feeding my little guy three pinkies every five days for a little while... and yesterday i got my order of fuzzies, so i fed him one. It looked pretty big for him, but he got it down fine(even though it took a lot longer than with the pinkies). When he got it down he had a lump, but today there is no visible lump at all(AND he was slithering around the tank). I've heard a bunch of times that there should still be a lump after 24 hours.. Sooo.. Does this mean that one fuzzie isn't enough? Do some snakes just digest faster than others? I still have some pinks left.. maybe i should feed him a fuzzy and a pinkie just to make it a little bit more?

I just don't know. He looks like he's only somewhere around 1.5 feet long.(hard to get a good measurement, because he moves. so i'm just estimating) I thought for sure that one fuzzy would fill him up.

Some fuzzies aren't all that much bigger than pinks. Maybe look through the bag for a larger fuzzy next time.

WEIGHT is more helpful in determining a corn's size and readiness for larger prey than length.

get his weight in grams and do a search for "Dean's Chart".

Although I wouldn't be surprised if it ends up getting posted here soon.

You can get a digital cooking scale from wal~mart or some place to weight your snakes and your mice.
Then reference this chart;

Dean's Feeding Chart

Pink 2-3g every 4-5 days 4-15g snake

2 Pinks 3g2 4-5 days 16-23g snake

Small Fuzzy 5-7g 5-6 days 24-30g snake

Fuzzy 7-9g 5-6 days 30-50g snake

Hopper 9-12g 5-6 days 51-90g snake

Weaned mouse 14-20g 7 days 91-179g snake

Adult mouse 24-30g 7 days 170+g snake

You'll probably find that your snake can handle a much large mouse than you might have thought. If it was eating 3 pinkies (2-3 grams) it can probably handle a large fuzzie (7-9 grams).

BTW, I've used this chart and really found it helpful, who is this dean guy who wrote it and where does it come from? a web site? a book? an old forum post?

antsterr said:
BTW, I've used this chart and really found it helpful, who is this dean guy who wrote it and where does it come from? a web site? a book? an old forum post?

Dean is a moderator here on cs.com. You've probably seen him around under the name Roy Munson :grin01:

My question is - How do you weight the snake? I know Gaia is not going to sit still and peaceful on a scale? Do you us something like a tupperware container with the lid in place or what? :shrugs:

You can buy digital scales that have a "tare", or zero function. You simply put the tub on, zero the scales, and pop the snake in. That's how I weigh mine. :)

Most of these kitchen scales come with a bowl that sits on them. you push the Zero button and it sets that weight as zero. Place your corn snake in the bowl and get your weight.

Well, today is feeding day for Gaia so I'll try weighing her before she gets her pinkies. I looked at the scale I got and it has a Tare button. :crazy02:

Back