• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

R.I.P. Lestat...

J_Daniels

Had to say goodbye to one of my kids last night. Thought this would be a fitting way to show how proud I was of my little Amel. Stripe, Lestat, one last time...

Lestat.jpg

lestatpost.jpg

lestatpost2.jpg

I'm not really sure. Maybe someone here can help me figure it out.

You see, I had all of my corns housed together for some time. Then, a couple of months ago, I split them all out into seperate housing after reading so much about the dangers of "communal housing" on these forums.

Lestat was very very small (I had actually wondered about him for a while as he was about 6 mos. old, and had really never grown. He was still pretty much hatchling size <1 foot when he died.) and hadn't been acting the same since I moved him. I assumed he was experiencing stress from the move.

Friday, I took him out because he looked a little swolen around his anus (is that the correct term for a snake?). He looked as if he was "sealed" shut, if you know what I mean so I gave him a nice bath, which seemed to work as he pooped in the bath. I did however notice a dark spot on his belly, right around where his stomach should be.

Last night, I stopped by my local supplier and bought mice to feed all my corns, and decided to feed Lestat first so I could see how he was doing, and as soon as I opened his tank I noticed a sour smell. Assuming that he had just passed some more feces that was ripe from sitting in his belly too long I removed his hide and found him dead.

The worst part was that, basically overnight, the dark spot on his belly had grown, and was now a bright green.

I'm assuming that he became impacted (on what I don't know, I don't feed any of my snakes on their substrate) and his last meal rotted in him.

I feel horrible, it seems like I should've been able to do more for the little guy, but the only vet around here that specializes in herps was out for the weekend already when I noticed the issue on Friday evening.

Guess it's time to take everybody in for a checkup.

JCD

I am so sorry to hear that! Yeah it sounds like impaction, i had my first leopard gecko die from impaction. Best of luck for you and your other corns.

It could very well have been a piece of woodchip. I don't house any of my snakes on loose materials now. Paper towel only.

I have had TWO snakes get impacted from substrate. One aspen, and one Eco-Earth. One snake had it coming out of ends at the vet, the other died in almost the exact manner you are describing from aspen caught in there. Niether of my snakes were EVER fed on the substrate either. Yet somehow they still managed to ingest some.

It could have been a small piece of wood chip.

bmm

Sorry

I am so sorry for your loss. Lestat looked gorgeous.
You will probably never know what went wrong, just remember what went right!
My son lost his little flourescent orange a few days ago and he was so upset.
I tried to figure out what went wrong and a few people wrote me and told me the only thing was maybe the temps were too low. I felt so badly, but he was loved while we had him!
Maybe nothing will go wrong with the others.
Good luck,
Candy

I must really hurt to lose something so special. Like a life. I've never really lost must except for some fish. (I haven't owned anything cooler than a fish yet anyways). I hope I don't lose my corn when he comes to my home. I'm very sorry, but don't be discouraged. We learn from our mistakes :)

You know, it does hurt. More than I expected actually.

And if one more person tells me "Well, it was just a snake..." or "The only good snake is a dead one..." I think I might just lose it and hurt someone.

I also would like to take a second and comment on how awesome these forums are. Most everyone is so quick to help with knowledge and advice, and everyone here seems to share a kinship due to our interests.

My thanks to all of you who have offered your condolences.

We miss you Lestat!

I'm sorry to hear that..

.. i lost my first corn because the petstore I got him from kept him on cedar/pine bedding, I didn't know that was unhealthy until it was too late. It's sad when you lose a life like that because we really get attached to these little guys..

for the record.. i HATED it when people tried to tell me "it was just a snake", "i hope you don't get another one, thank god it died" - it was awful enough without people acting like it was a blessing for him to have been lost.

I really appreciate these forums as well. I only wish I knew of cornsnakes.com when I got my first corn - it's really great how people with our interests do seem like some weird, online family thingy.

I've babbled enough.

Back