• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Does this snake have parasites?

It's not a close enough shot to see if there are any external parasites, but the little one is VERY dehydrated. In most cases, I do not recommend soaking a corn, but your little one needs to be soaked! Go to the store and purchase some pedialyte, mix it with water (50% each), and soak your little one in it. Make sure the water is room temp.

CornCrazy is right that pic is not close enough to tell it it has external parasites. It looks really dehydrated you are going to want to get it off of the bark( i have heard that it lowers the humidity) and really push the fluids.

CornCrazy said:
It's not a close enough shot to see if there are any external parasites, but the little one is VERY dehydrated. In most cases, I do not recommend soaking a corn, but your little one needs to be soaked! Go to the store and purchase some pedialyte, mix it with water (50% each), and soak your little one in it. Make sure the water is room temp.

I meant internal parasites, and he is too skinny and it seems no matter how humid it is in his viv, no matter what i tried to make him more humid, he is not getting any better. He's gotten worse over the course of two weeks. I was told it could be internal parasites.

"I was never able to soak him for half a second before, but right now, i tried but without the mixture, just in water, and the guy sat there for 15 min, then slowly came out of there.... Does this mean anything...because i never seen him drink, at least when im awake. And he spends all his day in hide, so i take him and try to put his head close the the water and he seems to drink as if he hasn't in days. It's like he depends on me to make him drink.... Is he lazy or something?"

Cursed_Witch said:
I meant internal parasites, and he is too skinny and it seems no matter how humid it is in his viv, no matter what i tried to make him more humid, he is not getting any better. He's gotten worse over the course of two weeks. I was told it could be internal parasites.

"I was never able to soak him for half a second before, but right now, i tried but without the mixture, just in water, and the guy sat there for 15 min, then slowly came out of there.... Does this mean anything...because i never seen him drink, at least when im awake. And he spends all his day in hide, so i take him and try to put his head close the the water and he seems to drink as if he hasn't in days. It's like he depends on me to make him drink.... Is he lazy or something?"

you can't tell if a snake has internal parasites form a pic. you should take it to a vet

Billybobob said:
you can't tell if a snake has internal parasites form a pic. you should take it to a vet
I agree, you cannot tell about internal parasites without a fecal and possibly other tests. If you suspect internal parasites, then you should definitely see a vet and have a fecal run.

I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but all of the babies I have seen that are as dehydrated as yours appears to be, have not made it. I am sorry, but I think you need to prepare yourself for the fact that your little one might not make it.

CornCrazy said:
I agree, you cannot tell about internal parasites without a fecal and possibly other tests. If you suspect internal parasites, then you should definitely see a vet and have a fecal run.

I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but all of the babies I have seen that are as dehydrated as yours appears to be, have not made it. I am sorry, but I think you need to prepare yourself for the fact that your little one might not make it.

Im sorry, i thought you could tell by the way he looks it would be a cause of parasites. Would have symptoms in a way.
I know about the fact it's not gonna make it, and i really feel so bad about it, i may even cry. I have called the pet store and told them i will give the snake back and i will get a refund...They will take him to a vet. I don't think i can save him.
Ill take a break from all this and then after a while get one from a good breeder. I guess.

Cursed_Witch said:
I have called the pet store and told them i will give the snake back and i will get a refund...They will take him to a vet. I don't think i can save him.
Ill take a break from all this and then after a while get one from a good breeder. I guess.

The pet store won't be taking it to a vet. They may tell you this but a friend of mine has worked in pet stores and they quietly take them into the back and dispose of the sick animals. Why would they want to spend money on an animal that they won't be able to sell? If you want to help this snake find an exotic vet, even if it is only to humanely end its suffering.

Malkingray said:
The pet store won't be taking it to a vet. They may tell you this but a friend of mine has worked in pet stores and they quietly take them into the back and dispose of the sick animals. Why would they want to spend money on an animal that they won't be able to sell? If you want to help this snake find an exotic vet, even if it is only to humanely end its suffering.
Not all pet stores are like that. The clinic I work for actually serves most of the pet stores here. We have even had them bring rats and mice in for exams and treatment.

I think you are making the right decision about not getting any more snakes from the pet store. You will be much better off buying a snake from a reputable breeder.

I am thinking not get a snake at all, never again i guess
I came to believe i might be the reason of my misfortune with snakes, not the pet store.
But thanks to everybody that helped me with all my questions.

Cursed_Witch said:
I came to believe i might be the reason of my misfortune with snakes, not the pet store.
I don't agree with that. Everyone makes mistakes in the beginning but having a snake that is sick from the source is not your fault. Pet stores are notorious for having sick animals (in everything from reptiles to fish) although there are some good ones out there. I would give it a little break and then try and find a breeder. The places that pet stores get their stock from are big companies that are in it for mass producing animals - not breeders that care about their animals. I'd think about getting another snake after a while and you have time to accept what happened to your first snakes.

~Katie

if you read her other post about this snake you will see that she had a WC snake that died. i believe that she kept that snake in the same tank that she is currently keeping the corn in it is very possible that the WC had something and that is why it died and why both corns she had have had problems. by the way did you know that rich bulk lots a lot of his hachlings every year and i am willing to bet that most of them end up in pet stores.

Billybobob said:
if you read her other post about this snake you will see that she had a WC snake that died. i believe that she kept that snake in the same tank that she is currently keeping the corn in it is very possible that the WC had something and that is why it died and why both corns she had have had problems. by the way did you know that rich bulk lots a lot of his hachlings every year and i am willing to bet that most of them end up in pet stores.

Since you insist, NO it is not the same tank.
If you have read the posts correctly you would have your answers and not make me explain everything again and again.
The wild caught one (which i owned for only 30 min.) died because my brother kept it in a plastic container under direct sun and watered it with the garden hose, it died 15 min later.

And first snake, the pet store gave me a snake from the non-eater tank they had. And it did not eat with me either.
I have cleaned the whole viv and cleaned it before i got this new one which
i got it dehydrated from the pet store, i have posted that since day one, and i said i did not cause this to him, but along with the people here who helped me, i couldn't get him hydrated despite the humidity. So therefore he might be sick.

Your belief is wrong and stop being the rude person here.

Cursed_Witch said:
Since you insist, NO it is not the same tank.
If you have read the posts correctly you would have your answers and not make me explain everything again and again.
The wild caught one (which i owned for only 30 min.) died because my brother kept it in a plastic container under direct sun and watered it with the garden hose, it died 15 min later.

And first snake, the pet store gave me a snake from the non-eater tank they had. And it did not eat with me either.
I have cleaned the whole viv and cleaned it before i got this new one which
i got it dehydrated from the pet store, i have posted that since day one, and i said i did not cause this to him, but along with the people here who helped me, i couldn't get him hydrated despite the humidity. So therefore he might be sick.

Your belief is wrong and stop being the rude person here.

i did not mis-read your post, your previous post said nothing of you having the snake in a small plastic container so it was a reasonable assumption to make that you had kept the wc snake in the viv. Especialy after your post where you said:

Cursed_Witch said:

and this is after i had just responded to your pm saying that that could have been possible. so i assume that i was right. there was nothing rude about my post.

Billybobob said:
i did not mis-read your post, your previous post said nothing of you having the snake...

Listen im really tired, and i am NOT in the mood for this.
I do not have to spell all the details about every single thing.
You're reasonable assumption was probably made assuming i keep anew snake in a viv where there was a wild caught snake that died??? What am i? stupid? I don't need any high level of IQ to know that the tank should be cleaned.

I said MISFORTUNE!! FORTUNE as in luck!!!
I have said that before you posted when i was in the chat room previously tonight. But i have MISFORTUNE not only in snakes. So please i don't want to talk about this anymore, i don't want to spend my time explaining things while my snake is dying here. Thats enough stress for me.
I don't know what you want from me, but i am REALLY tired of typing tonight. It's also freezing cold in here. Im starting not to feel my toes! *not good?*

YAY! Back to high school we go. Anywho...can we get back to the relevance of the snake? Thanks. Cursed_Witch - if you can get the snake to a reptile vet. If not your best option is probably to bring it back to the pet store and hope for the best. Billy - I am aware that Rich does bulk lots of his snakes and maybe it would have been better to say that most pet stores do not care for the animals as well as an owner would nor are most of them reptile friendly (note I say most).

Cursed_Witch, I still think that after a while you should try again. Find a breeder that can provide feed and shed info (which many can and should do) as well as one that you know has eaten well. Maybe try to find one that hatched out early and is already well started. Hatchlings can be evil little things that decide not to eat on a whim (I'm dealing with some now and I know others are as well).

~Katie

Back