• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Urgent! Can one this young be gravid?

2manysnakes

I smell a rat
We recently acquired 13 new corn snakes that the previous owner kept all together. One of them is very young, only about 20-22 inches long and about as big around as my pinkie finger. The thing that worries me is she just had a shed last night, and refuses to eat (small pinkie). She is swollen above the vent and feels sort of lumpy in the belly (hard to tell). Is there a chance she could be gravid? I would be horrified to think what it could do to her. Keeping all those snakes together was bad enough, but to a put such a young one in there was purely stupid. If she could be, how can I help her stay healthy?

Yes she can be gravid! I am assuming she is now in her own tub. The only thing you can do now is make sure she is not stressed and provide a lay box for her. If you post some photos I'm sure that someone will be able to say if she is gravid or has something else going on!

Good Luck.

I just read the thread about the trade that I assume these snakes are from.

As said, she can be gravid!! First off for a snake that young, and especially one that had gotten the care it sounds like it had been getting, egg binding is going to be a big possability. i'm not saying she will get egg bound, but be on the look out for problems. I hope it was a good choice to getting all those snakes! Good luck with them!!

jodu mentioned the most important piece, make her comfortable and take proper care of her, so there's not much more to add.

Thank you both. I am keeping a very close eye on her, and trying to keep the stress to a minimum. How would I know if she was egg bound?

Well if was a pre-lay shed you have a little while mine went 16 days, you can exercise by letting her swim in a big tub you may need to use lid. The water shoud be warmish. You could just get her out and let her slither thru your hands. She will "cruise" her viv as time gets closer never wanting to settle down, in, out and around the lay box.
There is another possibility she may absorb the eggs.
I would offer her food again as two of my snakes will not eat for a couple days after they shed. Hope any of this helps, susan

I exercise mine before laying to keep their muscles toned but water seems to stress them alot so I just let them crawl around in my hands a couple of times a week. Hopefully she'll reabsorb, but if she doesn't then all you can do is provide an egg box and keep an eye on her. They usually lay anywhere from 7 to, in Susan's case, 16 days. I've never had one go longer than 10 days though. If she passes the eggs you will be able to tell if she still has some retained by feeling for them. Some eggs will get stuck just before the vent and can be massaged out or in some cases, aspirated and then allowed to pass. Eggs retained further up the body sometimes just need time to move down to the vent before assisting. A vet might have to help if the eggs don't move at all. Hope she does o.k.

I am posting pics of all my new ones on the genetics page to get some help identifying them. I am still unsure if the bulge is just her shape, or if she is gravid. Take a look and see what you think. Thank you by the way for all your help.

Yes she may be gravid! If she really is a young one she may struggle with the passing of the eggs and can become egg bound! I hope everything comes smoothly, pic would be nice :)

Back