• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Corn scared of water ... ?

Jitt

Might sound really crazy but well ... can't help but wonder if it's even possible :D

Have 3 months old cornsnake, residing around 2 weeks already with me. But tonight I saw a really interesting picture ... as usual he was trying to climb and outstretch everywhere, falling to the side a lot or forward when he estimated wrong just how far he can reach out into thin air (he's klutz I think XD) but then he stumbled straight into bowl of water... shallow enough so he wouldn't drown but never I saw him made such impressive jump out. And after he did, he stayed in S shape and staring at the said bowl like it was trying to at least eat him if not rip to shreds :D

Anyone can explain me just wtf was that supposed to mean? :D On a more serious note ... should I be scared he's not drinking cause he's scared of that bowl/water in general .... ? It's a plain, terracota saucer under flowerpot, glazed inside with clear layer ... no pattern or anything.

if he's not drinking you'd know by now.

I would suggest though that you use a "Pet type" water bowl or even a bowl suitable for people to eat or drink from- (Reason?) the glaze used on some flower pots contains lead or other chemicals. They recommend that you not drink or eat from pots like "Flower Pots" especially if they come from China.

I'm sure he's not afraid of water though. The stumble into the dish probably just took him by surprise. I've had my snake about 6 months now and I've only seen him drink 4 or 5 times. I know he drinks more, I just don't happen to see him.

Thanks for the reply :) Not sure how I would recognize he's not drinking but hoping I will never need this kind of knowledge ... :eek: so far he looks to be perfectly fine, even slithering all over viv at night once he digested his pinkey but that moment really made my mind gears stop for a moment :-D

if your water bowl is a little, low ramekin,
and the aspen is up to the height of the bowls edge
where the bowl lays in the viv
then it is easier for your pet to find the water
and one might assume you are not watching what your cornsnake does 24/7
or maybe you don't have the 24/7 corncam setup yet?

If he wasn't drinking he'd be dried out shriveled and deceased by now

Caught him just today, three days after feedin to have head stuffed into water bowl :D Couldn't see him properly cause he's careful as hell but at least from a distance.

As for 24/7 setup, I already have cam, but need to install it. And still not intending to "monitor" him the whole time, cause he can apparently distinguish when the red light (dimmed LED stripe) goes on and is wayyyy more careful then (even going as far as to trying to stretch out for the lights placed on top edge which almost always results in a fall).

I have low rim bowl partially submerged in substrate (peat, cause aspen is impossible to find here and I'm happy with peat so far) with 2cm edge rising above the substrate. Otherwise the bowl is pretty shallow will have to exchange it as he grows up into sub-adult I guess.

Anyways, my little guy looks perfectly healthy so far so guess my worry was indeed false :D maybe falling into the bowl indeed made him just briefly startled :D

Back