• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

UTH question...

*salAMANDA88*

MoxieMakes MainersMighty
ok, this may have been posted before..I didnt look to well, because I am busy with homework..and should really be reading some crapy Lit. right now..yay for me!:poke:
anywho...right now I am keeping my baby corns in a larger tank..in their plastic shoe boxes..(mainly because I had one escepe the shoe box, and we still cant find him...)....the tank is like a 50 gallon...and I am heating it with a lamp right now,,its working..but I have too many lamps running and the light is too much at night....( people probably drive by my house and think they are in the red-light dist'.):awcrap:
anyway..I have a UTH that will be good for that sized tank, and it suggests to place it on the side of the tank Vs. the bottom...that would make sense in my case so everyone gets heat....is this a good ide...has anyone done this before...
Thanks for the advice.
~Amanda~

I and most here place their uth on the bottom not side of the tank.
To me, placing it on the side will only heat the air then only rise to the top.
But it has been done before. Why ?? I don't see the point

yeah it didnt really make sense to me...but thats just what the package said...it was the "prefered" way.....so I just thought I'd ask peoples advice on the matter..

The type I use was a "peel off and stick in on" type but I was warn not to do that. Just keep the paper on and duck tape it in place.. It will hold.

is it safe to use duct tape on them..thats the kind I have too..its a zoomed...I'll try that..I have the tank on an oak chest that my grandparents gave me..so I 'm trying not to ruin it...and I dont have any other choice..its the only place I can put it...at the moment..:rolleyes:

You'll need to put "spacers" under the tank after you put on the UTH (It IS okay to duct tape it in place). If the wood is REALLY that important... I'd place it somewhere else - unless you can put at least 2 inches of spacers under the tank.

Let me get this right ..your using a "50 gallon size plastic type" container.

I have no experience with them and misread your first post but...I still think it's fine to tape it on the bottom. And if you want to protect the chest, just rise it with something.

no no no...the tank is a 50 gallon, and inside are the plasticshoe boxes...I am just trying to find a better way to heat them up, instead of the heating lamp...lol
I put the shoe boxes inside the tank...because I had a snake escape the plastic shoe box..and now I am just making sure they are safe..untill I get a rack..which wont be for a few weeks..lol

Well OK. They shouldn't get out of there.
but do as stated, tape on and rise the tank.
Are you going to use flex-watt for the rack?

yup...Thats the plan anyway...thanks for the advice too..oh' and one more thing...what would be a good way to elevate the tank?

You can use mostly anything to elevate it.
One reason you want to rise it it to keep the weight of the tank off of the uth. For fear of (over time) causing damage to it.
If you want to protect the chest you could use a book of the same size in each corner.

A book or tile (which would damage the chest) will do for air flow and keep the weight off the chest. Never heard of 12 inches needed.

okay good...lol..I mis read thunders response..it was 2 inches..lol..sorry..
uh, do you think 2x4's would work...or if I put it on some sort of wooden rafter ?

I don't know the size of a 50 gal tank, lets say 40"X 18" as a guess. You could span the tank with the 2X4 going the 18 " way to save on material. Just don't let it rest on the uth. wooden whatever will work.

okay..thanks alot..I am just parinoid my house will burn down with all the heating lamps going..lol

Thanks again
~Amanda

I would be parinoid with heating lamps too but you don't need heating lamp with corns. That why I think uth are better than lamps.

Enjoy your snake

lennycorn

You probably already know, but make sure you put the UTH on a thermostat or rheostat to make sure it doesn't get to hot.

Back