• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

What can I feed my Corn Snake?

I did find Philip Purser on Amazon and did find a small blurb about "rat snakes, eating birds and eggs." I forgot to check but I think the book is fairly old and there is more current informaiton about corn snakes.
I'm sorry Cody why would you advise anyone what to feed their snake when you haven't done it, you are knowledgable about snakes diets, and then would go back and say no don't do that, it makes no sense.

I said this Because I discovered a false website which stated it was fine to feed your Corn Snake insects as a staple diet, obviously that's a lie, and I applodgize for saying that, I should of looked on a few other websites to verifi what they said. Once someone posted that Corn Snakes can't digest Insects, I corrected myself. I understand how you say I maid no sense when I posted that... because I have ADD... I applodgize for angering some of you, I did not mean to, and I should be more respectful to you adults... Anyway I'm sorry for everything. I'm not experinced with corn snakes, but I'm learning about them, and reptiles because I'm learning Herpotology in school. I don't know what's considered old, but the copyright on the book is dated 2003., which I think is when it was written. I won't give people to much advise until I'm more expereinced... anyway I want to make freinds hear, so please just forgive me. Because I want freinds, I'd be more than happy to be anyones freind.
Anyone forgive me and wanto be my freind?

Before i type this post i'll point out my knowledge on latin names is somewhat limited.. and these things change almost constantly so i may be wrong...

But isn't Pantherophis (As stated on the cover of the book) a rather outdated term for 'Corn snakes' ? (Being that all rat snakes were originally Pantherophis xxx, Then was changed to Elaphe.. and now only Emory, Bairds and the Eastern/Wester fox snakes are referred to under this family name?.

I could be wrong though... maybe someone with a bit more knowledge can clear this up? :shrugs:

You're right: the taxonomy changes all the time, so I won't comment on what's right or wrong. But Elaphe is sort of the "old" accepted name for the New World (and Old World) rat snake genus, and "Pantherophis" is newer (and probably less accepted by hobbyists). For those of us who are not professional scientists, knowing that we're dealing with "corn snakes" is probably good enough (though some would argue that "cornsnakes" is one word...).

Cody said:
You and Roy please stop flamming me.
I haven't flamed you yet. When I do, you'll know it. If I said something like: "You're confusing 'supplement' with 'staple', and I don't mean the kind of 'staple' that fastens your Crayola'd map to your geography assignment", THAT may be a flame. ;)

I won't give people to much advise until I'm more expereinced... anyway I want to make freinds hear, so please just forgive me. Because I want freinds, I'd be more than happy to be anyones freind.
Anyone forgive me and wanto be my freind?
No big deal. I admire your enthusiasm. You've done nothing unforgiveable, and I'd be happy to be your friend. :)

You're right: the taxonomy changes all the time, so I won't comment on what's right or wrong. But Elaphe is sort of the "old" accepted name for the New World (and Old World) rat snake genus, and "Pantherophis" is newer (and probably less accepted by hobbyists). For those of us who are not professional scientists, knowing that we're dealing with "corn snakes" is probably good enough (though some would argue that "cornsnakes" is one word...).

Thanks for clearing that up for me, Dean. I find stuff like this very interesting. :)

(Oh and hey! Who's to say i'm not a scientist? I mix cocktails pretty well - That's Chemistry!)

Cody. I hope you don't think I was flaming you. I tried to make helpful suggestions that might make your time here more enjoyable.

Alright Roy, Add me to your freinds list, and I'll add you, I have to study for Geography bee tomorrow... So I might send you a private message tomorrow... maybe

None of us were flaming you mate, we were just trying to explain a few things to you, and yeah, maybe a few of us got a little frustrated when you remained adamant, lol.

Oh and I'd be more than happy to be your friend, just cool it a little until you learn a little more, and trust me, you'll learn a lot here. :)

David

Dang, I've been busy for the last several hours and missed all of this. As I read through it I'm making mental notes of what I want to say in my post when I get to the end and then I find out we're all friends again and none of the stuff I wanted to say is appropriate any more. I hate when that happens.

Just one thing I really wanted to say. Cody, I have two corn snakes that are 15 years old.

That’s all. Nuf said

Dang, I've been busy for the last several hours and missed all of this. As I read through it I'm making mental notes of what I want to say in my post when I get to the end and then I find out we're all friends again and none of the stuff I wanted to say is appropriate any more. I hate when that happens.

Just one thing I really wanted to say. Cody, I have two corn snakes that are 15 years old.

That’s all. Nuf said

I'm with you, but hey I think we should all have a group hug now.

Did someone mention free hugs?

hug.gif

Oh, geez, I missed everything! Well, I'm glad everyone is happy and getting along now, I was hoping that would happen. And I know what book your talking about Cody. It's the book I have! I'll probably get in trouble for this if anyone from work recognizes me or realizes it's me. But anyway; read the CareSheets they give you; ask any and all questions; check out the books (But really, don't buy...) Than do the greater chunk of your research at home (like on this site) And make sure you get a decent book. I have to say that after this whole thing, I am rather ashamed of my work place. I didn't realize how much misinformation we spread. Looking at our CareSheet I just saw that they say Corns may only grow to a foot long. Has anyone ever heard of a healthy corn rounding out at that size? It's terrible, and I honestly think something should be done about it. I mean, I wonder how many animals have died because their new owner was given wrong info? Anyway, thought I'd get that out...
Oh No! Did I fall for it again? No doggie got eaten? Aw, man, if I keep it up I'll never live this thread down, LOL! Seriously, though, when my Mom was young and lived in Alabama and Florida there were snakes (mostly alligators though) that would eat people's dogs and other pets. My Mom got up and found a stuffed looking snake of some sort in her hamster cage once. Needless to say, the Hamster was gone.
I think I am going to have to order Kathy Love's book. I guess my book isn't worth much from the sounds of it. I'm kind of PO'd my store sells a less than good book.
I'll add you as a friend Cody, soon as work out how to do that... I'll give it a shot.
Yikes! I wrote a book... Guess I'll end by saying Congrats to Susang and Corny Noob!

I've been looking at this thread since Joel told me about it....
I'm going to go out on a limb now, and say, Cody I'm with you.
I wouldn't recommend giving a corn eggs but I believe that corns
are opportunist eaters especially in the breeding season when a lot of birds eggs are about...as far as a good source of salmonella.. I would rather eat raw eggs than raw rats....
And as far as the Latin name of corns changing.... did corns get told that so they stopped eating egg as as a result.....
All I know is my Pine ate an egg no prompting, no problem.... A pine is only a big corn, in the looses sense of the word.....and it doesn't have the necessary vertebrate either.
Cody, Stick with us you are the future.People who research and post is the way forward, not people who repeat parrot fashion things they read on a site.
I'm glad you didn't go away when it got tough, and I'm going to rep you. Partly for the info, but mainly because you had the courage of your convictions....
|Now stop telling us what to do an listen. In the words of Homer Simpson..."Why you lil...." LOL
MIKE

I'm always up for a group hug.

Wade, you did forget about cornflakes earlier? My corns luv 'em, but I gotta warm up the milk before they get in the bowl and chase the flakes around like a garter chasing a minnow. Just the plain though, the frosted is too fattening, plus it makes the snake sticky. :)

All I could think of with that first post of yours and the creamcorn was someone standing with snake in hand and a pinkie pump in the other filled with creamcorn. LOL!!

As far as feeding goes, IMO, even if they can eat eggs (which I don't think is a good idea), don't mess with it. You play around and you may make your snake into a picky eater and why mess with that. Just as was said before, TWINKIES!!!!

Back