• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

roman955

Hi I'm a new roman955. I am trying to convince my dad to let me get a corny for my birthday. What are some good qualities of the corn snake that i can tell my dad? and also any things i need for the corn snake. I'm thinking of getting a baby to start with, Or should i get an adult? I have a 30 gallon, How long will that keep my corn snake? What can i feed it besides mice? I need to know EVERYTHING!!! So if you guys could give me the run down id appricate it thanks
roman955

Welcome to the site!!!!!!!! There is a lot of information here. Be sure to read the FAQ section in the forums. They answer a lot of questions. There is a search feature that answer many questions also.
There are a lot of great people here. Everybody is always willing to help.

roman955 said:
I am trying to convince my dad to let me get a corny for my birthday. What are some good qualities of the corn snake that i can tell my dad?

Most corn snakes have very sweet personalities and make very SAFE pets. It is almost impossible for a corn snake, especially a young one, to hurt a child or an adult.

and also any things i need for the corn snake.

You will need to provide a heat source to part of the snake's home. Specially made heating pads for reptiles are probably the best to use, but should have a thermostat (a device that turns the heat off if it gets too hot, back on if it gets too cold). You will need a water dish that is big enough for the snake to crawl all the way into if it wants to soak. You will need some kind of cave for the snake to hide in when it feels shy or afraid. The house doesn't have to be fancy: it can be a macaroni and cheese box with one end open, or even the empty tube from the toilet paper. A branch is nice, since corn snakes like to climb on them.

I'm thinking of getting a baby to start with, Or should i get an adult?

Babies can be very delicate, and, if it is your very first snake, you might want one just a little older. A one-year-old corn is still pretty small and has a lot of growing to still do, so you might try finding one that age. An adult is good too; my first corn, Lucius, was an adult when I got her, and I love her to death. She is very sweet and gentle and easy to take care of.

I have a 30 gallon, How long will that keep my corn snake?

A 30-gallon tank is probably big enough to last your snake its whole life. My adult is in a 30-gallon tank, too. Make sure that you get a top for the tank that is specially made to keep snakes and reptiles in. A snake can sneak out through holes you didn't even think they could fit in, so a regular aquarium top isn't safe enough.

What can i feed it besides mice?

Although mice are the easiest to find and what most people feed their snakes, you can try other things as a treat. Newly hatched chicks are nice for an adult, but probably way too big for a younger snake. In the wild, corn snakes will also sometimes eat bird eggs, so some small quail eggs could be a treat. They will also eat lizards and frogs. Mice should be its diet most of the time, but trying other things is okay, too. Just make sure that, if your snake doesn't want to try anything new, you have some mice on hand so it doesn't go hungry. Most people feed mice that were frozen and then re-warmed to give to the snake, but some snakes, especially older ones who weren't raised that way, will only eat live mice. Frozen and then thawed mice (usually referred to as "F/T") are, by far, the safest way to go.

I need to know EVERYTHING!!! So if you guys could give me the run down id appricate it thanks

The best thing you can do is read about corn and rat snakes. Your public or school libraries should have books that can answer all of your questions. Also, many of the members here have websites for their snakes, and you can find loads of useful information there, from what to feed and how to set up a safe and comfortable home to what to call the different colors and patterns.

Good luck with convincing your dad. I haven't had my corn snakes for very long, but I think they are great pets.

Hey Roman welcome to the site. A couple things I like about keeping cornsnakes is that they are extremely low maintenance compared to cats, dogs etc. They only eat every 5 to 7 days or longer. They can go longer (up to a month from what I've read) without eating as long as they have water, so vacations are easier...although you should still have someone check on them. They are quiet and almost no smell, therefore no stinky cages/vivariums.

I'd stick with F/T mice, I'm sure there are other options out there though, maybe small frogs? Crickets and other insects are NOT for cornsnakes no matter who tells you different.

Like others said, do your homework and study up. Get one of Kathy Love's book on Cornsnakes (I have both editions). If your parents see how prepared you are, that should help. This site should be your biggest resource, it certainly is for me. I check out the posting here almost everyday, reading about other peopels experiences and what they are or aren't doing right is invaluable.

Good luck, let us know how it turns out...

Thanks everyone!!!!! you have all been sooooooooo much help. And is there a chance you guys could post pics of your snakes? ID love to see them. And also my buddy said that i should consider getting a buramese ball python. Is that safe? Should i try it out? i need to know about those too (seems like im working you guys like dogs! :-offtopic)
see ya
roman955

I'm not the authority on Pythons, but I thought there was Ball Pythons that get around 4 feet or so and then the Burmese which can get very large...20' if I'm not mistaken. Saw a 16 footer last weekend at a reptile show....

There are a lot of Ball Pythons for sale around here, they seem quite popular.

roman955 said:
my buddy said that i should consider getting a buramese ball python. Is that safe? Should i try it out? i need to know about those too (seems like im working you guys like dogs!
Burmese and Ball pythons are two different species. Balls tend to remain small (under four feet), Burmese can get quite large and heavy. Burmese also have, in my opinion, a poor disposition for a pet. Most that I have known were nasty tempered. If you like that type of snake, you would be better off looking for a nice boa instead. Much nicer pet personality.

roman955 said:
Thanks everyone!!!!! you have all been sooooooooo much help. And is there a chance you guys could post pics of your snakes? ID love to see them. And also my buddy said that i should consider getting a buramese ball python. Is that safe? Should i try it out? i need to know about those too (seems like im working you guys like dogs! :-offtopic)
see ya
roman955
There is a photo gallery on this site that has many pictures.

Hi, i wanted to know to mist the tank and keep the humidity up, can i use a plant sprayer bottle, or something like that? Also, what precautions should i take, or things i should look out for because of the spraying. thanks

Back