• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

My Hypo is afraid of cornsnakes?

Serpwidgets

I've tried my '00 male hypo several times with females this year... with no success. It's not just that he shows no interest, it's that the moment he recognizes another cornsnake of either gender, he practically flies in the other direction as if he's just met his worst nightmare.

He's not the biggest '00, but he is of considerable size. I purposely didn't brumate him, along with the rest of the ones I didn't plan on breeding. The ones who didn't brumate don't act like this either.

He also had this same reaction when I put all 7 of my '00s together to take a group shot... I couldn't get any good shots because he wouldn't stop trying like mad to get the heck out of there. (The rest of them were all a big twitching mass, hehe)

I'm not worried that he won't breed this year, I'm just worried that he might have some bizarre fear of other cornsnakes and that this will keep him from ever breeding in future seasons.

Has anyone ever seen or heard of something like this?

Never seen anything like that
but then please tell us what happens later on. I want to know more about this. One of my male miami is not interested in breeding either...but nothing like that

Good luck and Happy Herping!

Snake phobia

Have you tried introducing him to one at a time? I think I remember someone else talking about putting a divider in the tank so that they could see?(it was a mess type) and smell each other but not touch or hurt each other. Do you think this might be too stressful for him? I'm guessing that you want him to be comfortable before you decide to breed him in the next few years.

Maybe take them out to a show or dinner a few times so they get to know each other first. Sam ~~~~~:~:rolleyes:

Well, I don't know that anyone can say for sure why he runs away but....
My guess is that he lacks the confidence of an older breeder. He probably can smell that another Male is in the area and is VERY intimidated. The other male may not be in the same cage but just in the same room.
Who knows but my guess is that next year you may get a totally different reaction.

L8r,
wc

Same problem, here. Only all 3 of mine run from the older one. If the 3 that are together don't breed by themselves, I'm just gonna wait til next year. Keep us updated. I'd sure like to see those pictures.

Back