• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Going to Start

GHostCornSnake

im going to start bredding my own mice for my snakes. any tip?? how long till the give birth, can they breed anytime etc??

anything would be usfull
-Ghost

First litters are always a bit more lengthy. But after that females gestation period is 3 weeks. And they get impregnated almost right after they give birth. So you'll have a litter every 3 weeks.

remember only 1 male per tank. the amount of females is up to you and your needs. and it could take anywere from 1-3 months before you get your first litter but after thats it should be good.

cncslick said:
remember only 1 male per tank. the amount of females is up to you and your needs. and it could take anywere from 1-3 months before you get your first litter but after thats it should be good.

i was planning to have a male and a female then once the female has its first babbies then seperate the male till i need more pups.

Just check the older threads here, this topic is covered all the time.

basic rules to successful mouse breeding, one male per tank, set up a colony and leave them alone. Don't remove the male or females, and don't add new females later unless they are raised up from in the colony.

Removing the male and introducing it back later tends to get the male killed.

Flagg said:
Just check the older threads here, this topic is covered all the time.

basic rules to successful mouse breeding, one male per tank, set up a colony and leave them alone. Don't remove the male or females, and don't add new females later unless they are raised up from in the colony.

Removing the male and introducing it back later tends to get the male killed.

what if i dont need a nother set little mouses how do i stop them from breding

I'd keep as many as possible in the freezer and give my mate at the petshop the rest. It means I get free stuff if theres ever anything I need.

i was thinking about doing the same thing, could a male and female live together 4 ever or should they just be introduced for breeding, i know their should be more than 1 female but i think its worth a try with just the 1. also could i put the pinkys in the freezer live and just let them freeze to death or should they be killed before they are put in the freezer? i also heard they have to be froze for 30 days b4 you should offer them to a snake, is this true? im sure some of these questions should answer the moderator of this thread's questions, hope you dont mind me using your thread like this. . .

Putting pinkies in the freezer kills them really quickly, (under an hour) but I can't think of any reason to keep them for 30 days before using them. You leave the mice together all the time, they'll produce a new litter at roughly 3 week intervals

I can't imagine anything being able to survive in the freezer for 3 days never mind 30. I'd imagine that after a day or so all 'baddies' will be killed off, if not after a few hours. Just my .02

Technically cooling does not kill bacteria (I am assuming that's what you mean by 'baddies'), so the amount of time you leave the mice in there shouldn't make much of a differance.

my new colony just gave birth after 23 days. Never had one start that quick before, Only 9 this time though, and Im not sure if the female is feeding them so I might end up pulling them all as 1 day pinks for my new Blizzard hatchling.

Back