• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Sneeze?

Iris

Can corns sneeze? I was holding Xavier a few days ago and he was drinking from the water bowl when all of a sudden I heard like this "Pff" sound and his body sort of twitched and then he went right back to drinking.
Then today he was slithering around in the aspen and then he "sneezed" and continued on as normal. I don't hear any problems with his breathing so I don't think it's a respiratory infection or anything...
Does anyone else's snake(s) sneeze?

My snake has also sneezed before. He did it a bunch of times once when I gave him a bath. Maybe he'd inhaled a little water and was sneezing to get it out. Sounds like maybe the same thing happened to Xavier... Mine only did it when he was in the water, though. It's probably nothing to be concerned about unless he starts doing it more or shows other signs of a respiratory illness.

i would imagine snakes are like any other animal, too much water up the nose and they will sneeze. I wouldn't worry about it unless it happens all the time. Although if you see him cover his mouth and say "bless you" then I would worry!! ;)

Don't worry, corn snakes are known to sneeze. It's just natural, we sneeze so why can't they?

Good Luck and Happy Herping!!

Ok, that's all I wanted to hear. It was so cute and funny when he did it. In my head I was like..no way..that was NOT a sneeze..
But I guess it was. :) Thanks for your input

I had a snake once with a respiratory infection, which she 'sneezed' a lot, but also there was a whistling sound when she was breathing, and when you held her you could feel 'rattling' around the lung area. She also started 'bubbling' at the mouth. I had to put her in quarantine, and make the tank warmer about 90 deg, and dry the air out, she eventually had an anti-biotic injection, and after about 6 weeks she was well again. But usually a little sneeze does mean a bit of water up the nose.

Oh, it's definitely not an RI. He's perfectly all right. I was just surprised when it happened because I hadn't a clue that they could sneeze. I've been learning a LOT about snakes ever since I got him. :)

Back