• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Quick Question

Taceas

USW = UB313
This is the first time I've kept my mice outside. Since we moved I don't want the mouse smell in my new house.

Since things have heated up here in Southern Indiana, I've noticed my mice not breeding/birthing as much. Is this normal as the temps are routinely above 80F?

I know chickens slack off from laying during hot periods, I didn't know if mice applied the same logic.

What are optimum temps for mice and successful breeding? I'm guessing the same type of temps I'm seeing in my own home, 71-75.

Thanks!

temps of 70-80 are ideal but lower 70's is better. They are not too dependent on temps for breeding but too hot of temps can lead to infertility in males so that is what is probably causing your problems. Are they in an outdoor shelter? if so a fan could help or a mini AC unit. also high temps can lead to heatsroke but if they have plenty of water they should be fine as long as temps don't exceed 90 but preferably not to exceed 85. Good luck with them :)

Hi Misty,
I can tell you from personal experience in raising mice commercially in a barn type setting that the temps are going to affect the breeding. As Amy said the ideal breeding temps are roughly 70-75. Though, they also breed very well in temps as low as the 40's as long as they have had time to acclimate. However, temps above 85 will cause sterility in adult (over 3 months old) males. This sterility can actually set a breeder way back as it can last for up to 3 months after the last day the mouse was subjected to the extreme temps. Also Fans are not much help when it comes to Temp related breeding problems. They are great in preventing heat exhaustion as they keep the air moving. But they don't seem to do much in actually lowering the temps.

Just my $0.03
Jeff C.

Back