• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

New Snake......

lewdochris

Hello all! Well, I got what the pet store called a red rat snake. Which is as far as I know is a normal, correct? I wish I had a pic of him/her. The snake is beautiful. Quite a contrast from my Albino pair. The new one has the same markings as the albino pair but the skin is gray and the saddles are dark red. It also has a black checkered belly. I'll have to do a search and see if I can find a pic that closely resembles him/her.
Next year I'm thinking of mating an albino with the new one. From what I have read, normals are kinda like a genetic lottery because they don't express any specfic trait that makes them i.e. albino, blood red, etc. Is this assumption correct?
Well, just thought I would share my good fortune with you all. BTW, the new one has already eaten for me and it's only been in its new home for a few days.
Oh yeah, I do have a quick question. Since I have had my albinos I have fed then live mice, but the new addition has always eaten prekill. Is there any harm in switching all 3 to prekill? The albinos fed on them but it wasn't really any fun to watch :D . Just wondering if there is anything I should be aware of.

Also, my eggs seem to be doing fine. Gettin closer to the due date and I can't wait!

Thanks for reading,
Chris

Here is a good likeness

cornsnake1.jpg

Hope this helps,
Chris

Tenacious_Ash said:
aren't rat snakes supposed to be very aggressive? :eek:

This one tries to be aggressive when I am trying to get him/her out of the enclosure. It does the S shape and rears its head back. But, it calms down after a few minutes. I think it spent some alone time at the petsore and isn't used to being handled. Poor thing. I saw its feeding chart and the pet store had it since April. No one probably wanted it because of the way it behaves when its first handled. Oh well, to each his own, I guess. :)

Thanks,
Chris

Switching them all to prekilled or frozen/thawed is a very good idea. Safer for the snakes and easier for you. Congrats on your new snake and good luck with the eggs:D

Hey Lewdochris,
Congrats on the new snake, good luck with the eggs.
If your snake has a grey background and red saddles I think it could be a Miami Phase. Can't really tell without a photo though.
I think it would be best if you switched to pre killed. It's safer for your snake and more humane for the mice.
Jimmy C.

really the only difference between Rat snakes and corn snakes is the size of their heads. If you look you will see that a rat snakes head is slightly larger than a corn snakes. But other that that there is no difference. It could be do to the fact that there could be some interbreeding between Ratsnakes and Rattlesnakes. It is very common that they nest together in the wild. That is where they get their name Rat snakes from Rattlesnakes.

Actually, corn snakes are a type of rat snake. There are several species of rat snakes. Lewdochris was correct in saying that a red rat snake is a normal corn. They're two names for the same snake. :)

Back