• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

bloodred?

Peter

Confirmed Corn Addict
I know this pic is a little dark but, does it look like an 8 month old bloodred? His head was rather gray when I got him in September and his belly has pure white for about 40% and then gets an orangey/red hue to it for the back 60%. Plus the gray is fading and his saddles and ground color are getting brighter.

Attachments

• dsc00012.jpg
    dsc00012.jpg
    140.2 KB · Views: 209
Here is my 9 month old hypo bloodred:

Attachments

• hypo bloodred 9 mo.jpg
    hypo bloodred 9 mo.jpg
    22.8 KB · Views: 203
Hey Liz, yours is definately deeper red on the ground color. Mine is more orangey but I think has been slowly getting redder. The head markings seem to be similar. My pic is in such bad light. I haven't learned the whistles and bells on my new digicam. I am basically operating it straight out of the box.

Last edited:
Very nice blood reds!
I have 1.1 blood reds too......but then haven't seen them for almost 5 years now........hahaha my friend was helping me take care of them for a while.....and he decided to keep them.....hahaha and my pair of ghost too.....
so 1.1 blood red and 1.1 ghost....haha
but we still keep in contact and he knows that they are mine.......

What color are the eyes?

The pic is pretty dark but you can see some Bloodred traits. It almost looks like an amel Bloodred. If it's eyes are red then it is amelanistic.

Here's a normal Bloodred for comparison:
01bloodred

getting bloodreds

Hey Mo, so am I. :) I just recently put in my deposit with Rich for a pair of hypo bloodreds. Just have to wait until they've hatched now...

support group

Someone should start a support group for those of us who have snakes on order but still have to wait for them to hatch. I am slowly going insane, and absolutely can not wait. I fill my time calculating offspring from breedings that might take place 1, 2 or 3 years from now. Isn't there some kind of program I should be on?

possible bloodred

There's no real way for me to tell what you have there. It could be a blood, but it could also be a hypomelanistic animal. I have a motley hypo that looks very much like the first animal pictured. He too has the grey head, red/orange sddless and ground coloration, no pattern on the first two-thirds of his ventral scales going to patternless orange color toward the tail. The one bloodred hatchling I had last year (she died a few weeks after I got her) was actually MUCH darker than is this hypo-motley ever has been.

So, having been no help whatsoever, I would say that chances are more likely that you got a hypomelanistic animal rather than a bloodred. People generally know what they're selling when it comes to bloodreds, but mistake can and do happen! I guess you'll just have to wait and see what it looks like in another year or so . . .:D

Have fun -- Darin

Clint Boyer.......

Hey, I was wondering about the pic you posted of your bloodred. It looks identical to what I thought was my normal phase corn. What are the differences? Anyone?? Ike had the red eyes etc but has very thin blacK rings round his saddles. I thought that bloodreds had no black?! Maybe I just looked at Clint's pic wrong or Im mistaken about the bloodreds. I know this may sound stupid but Bloodreds arent that common here so Im not too sure about their colouration or genetic traits!

Bloodreds

Bloodred is an odd morph. This is my first year owning them so I can't tell you too much other then what I've read or been told.

Bloodred has been selectively bred to be the solid red snake that many of them are today. Some of the traits you'll notice when they are young are an almost patternless head that is mostly grey when born. The saddles fade into the sides and mix with the background color. There will be no side blotches or belly checkering. The belly, or ventral side will be white or white mixed with red towards the back. Young snakes will show the saddles, but that will gradually fade as they grow and become darker red. They will have dark eyes like a normal snake, red eyes indicate amelanism which is a separate gene mutaion. Bloodred is not a simple recessive trait, it is a complex combination of traits that can be variable in each individual snake.

I hope that helps....

Bloodreds start out looking basically like normal corns, except for their heads and bellies. The heads are often grayish instead of normal colored, and the bellies are white. As they get older, their background color gradually turns red to match their red blotches. A regular bloodred does have black. The black just tends to get covered up by the red as the snake gets older. There are also amelanistic bloodreds that have no black at all, and hypomelanistic bloodreds.

Liz...

Is it just me or does that bloodred look
a little small for 9 months?

Is it an older picture?

Ares...

The picture is recent, took it the same day I posted. The snake measures about 17 inches, and I have big hands. He, along with a hypo okeetee I have are the smallest of my stash of corns, who are all very close in age. There is a lot of individual variation in growth rate, even tho all are treated the same, come from the same breeder, etc.

As they get older, their background color gradually turns red to match their red blotches.

I hear this description a lot, but I've seen very few bloodreds which actually fit that description. In many of them the background color does not turn red, and instead they become orange or tan or brown.

Mary_0202_2.jpg

hey...mine are not orange!!! they are solid red :)
ok...they are brown and I don´t like it :-(
the thing is that if you have dark red ones you would like to have orange
ones and if you have orange ones you want red ones. that´s why we are never
happy with the things we have!

Such is life!

Personally, I kind of like the motor oil colored Bloods!

I'm curious to see how this one developes :)

bloodf

Back