• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Housing and personalities

Mangrove

Corns_will_rule_the_world
i was wondering if housing two snakes just depended on the time of the year or also the attitudes of the snake... i have a good 30 gallon tank where i could happly house 2 cornsnakes, not ver old... i was wondering if you could hhhelp me with this :eek1:

mangrove ~ i highly recommend you do a search on housing more than one corn together on this forum, i think you'll find tons of threads about it all, every person has his/her own opinion, and trust me theres quite a few too, however what you then decide is entirely up to you.
good luck
:D

I house them together, but i only do it from around 1 year of age or 24+inches whichever is reached first, but i don't house 2 males together as they will fight for domancy.
Their are both pro's and cons, and the main con is canablism, which is rare but can and does happen, as well as many other cons their are as many pro's to the matter, bu if i were you i would do a search and then make up your mind as i know of at least 4-5 threads on the subject.

cornman1979 said:
and the main con is canablism, which is rare but can and does happen, as well as many other cons their are as many pro's to the matter,

I'm truly curious... what pros are there to housing snakes together, other than saving space by halving the amount of homes you need for them?

I am not getting into this again, their has already been enough arguments about it. This is my last post on the "housing 2 together issue".

cornman1979 said:
I am not getting into this again, their has already been enough arguments about it. This is my last post on the "housing 2 together issue".

Honestly, I want to know just for my own curiosity. I don't care what debates there have been... you stated there are pros, that's all I want to know! Debates aren't my thing. :p It also helps the original poster in making a decision, and that's what the point is, isn't it?

I've kept my 2 snakes together for the last 9 months or so...and one is around a foot bigger than the other but i havnet had any problems it just depends on the snakes dont put them together right a way leave them together for an hour or so about once a day and then gradually increse the time.

quoted by cornman1979 ~ I am not getting into this again, their has already been enough arguments about it. This is my last post on the "housing 2 together issue".

Wilder said:
Honestly, I want to know just for my own curiosity. I don't care what debates there have been... you stated there are pros, that's all I want to know! Debates aren't my thing. :p It also helps the original poster in making a decision, and that's what the point is, isn't it?

im sorry cornman but i agree with wilder, what are the pros of housing 2 together, i housed 2 together a while back, they had lived toegther for years when out of the blue the youngest one struck at the elder ones face, luckily she missed but its not the point, i no longer risk it, id rather pay out for another vivarium rather than ending up with a dead snake or maybe two.
just my opinions.
:D

Can I keep corn snakes together? Like a breeding pair all year round? Or maybe even a few females and one male?
Yes, you can keep a pair together all the time no problem - so long as they are roughly the same size... If you put a hatchling in with a full size adult, the hatchling would get eaten. Putting more than 3 together can be awkward - you'd need a really big vivarium. Say you had 6 snakes, 4 females and 2 males, then you'd be best off with 2 vivaria, with one male and two females in each. Two or more males together in springtime (whether females are around or not) will possibly get a bit argumentative until the dominant one is established. But other than that, corn snakes do get on together pretty well. They are mostly fairly friendly, mild mannered creatures - but I suppose, as in everything, there is bound to be the odd one or two with a bad attitude
A quote from a friend and fellow snake breeder.

and who was that quote from exactly cornman?

i have to politely very strongly disagree with that person.

i agree with Cornman1979.... i jut think it all depends on the personality of your snake... some work well together others do not... there is no reason to argue about this either and this is probly not to smart for me to get in it but i totaly agree with cornman there are great snakes that house together and i believe it is better for the cornsnake in the end to be housed with a partner :crazy02: :crazy02: :crazy02:

wow that is alot of information but i think he has jsut proven his point...(very pleased with that site) :crazy02: :crazy02: :crazy02: :crazy02: :crazy02:

It is an excellent site with a lot of good solid info, but thats just what i think, but most of us that use the site forum also agree with me on that, but people, you can make your own mind's up by visiting before posting a negative comment against me :rolleyes:

I wasn't aiming that at anyone inperticular mangrove, it's just that i get a lot of negative feedback on this subject. I mean if it's good enough for Kathy love, it's good eenough for me (please see 1 of the earlier threads about houding snakes together)

Cornman-

That's real nice that you copied and pasted a quote from someone else, however you still have evaded the question at hand. The quote still offers no PROS for keeping cornsnakes together. What are the PROS???

cornman1979 said:
From this UK based site which has more then 1000 visitors a day from all over the world.

http://www.snakepictures.co.uk/index.htm
More than a 1000 a day, huh? I think you had better look into your source info more carefully. I just checked on it and so far 21 unique IP's have hit that site today. And the forum that links off that site...25 topics and 201 responces. Sorry buddy, I'm not understanding where your numbers are coming from here?!

ReptiRank 72 The Corn Snakes Site

Where the world goes for information and excellent digital corn snake pictures of snakes posing, shedding, feeding and laying eggs. Peruse this site and find information, Q's and A's, tips on problem feeders and much more.
Unique [Today] 21
Unique [Average] 24.25
Total [Today] 166
Total [Average] 251.50

Thats what i was told last week quig's and thats what i was going off, the figure may be wrong, but it's not my site and i go off the figure's i am given.

Back