• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Sterlite and Rubbermaid

mccweezy

For any one who uses them i got a couple questions

1-Is other lite needed for them(meaning an outside light from the light in the room they are in~ceiling lite)

2-wat set ups you use (i was thinking aspen shaves,hide at each end, water dish at cool end)

it would be cool if you guys could post some pictures :cheers:

ty for help

I use the 28 qt sterilite for most of my adult snakes.

I have kept snakes on aspen before but prefer clean newspaper for the substate. I take a couple of sections layered together and "press" them to fit the bottom of the cage. It is more work this way but the animals are in a much cleaner environment.
Aspen works well for the most part. A couple of the downfalls would be...
the animal could possibly swallow the aspen causing an obstruction or impaction and the fact that when you spot clean your aspen you only get the "big chunks" letting all the juices (grossssss) soak into the aspen left behind.
I usually don't place static hide boxes in the cages. Most snakes are more than content to hide under the paper.
If you notice you snake being restless or not feeding or other general signs of stress, a good dark hide box may be necessary.
For a water bowl I place a standard 16 oz. deli container inside a schedule 40 PVC 4" coupling on the cool end of the cage.
I have the containers setup in a rack system with 11" heat tape running down the back.

As for the light situation.
I have a night light on in the snake room when the ceiling light isn't on.
I really don't think a light regimine is necessary for cornsnakes.

I included a pic of a typical setup. It is a picture of one of my opal females.
Note she has a egg laying box...not really a hide box as she just hides under the paper.

Hope this helps!
Geoff

Attachments

• a.jpg
    a.jpg
    142.7 KB · Views: 89
My main problems with newspaper are the smell, and the fact that the snake hides under the newspaper and then craps all over the bottom of the tank. At least the aspen soaks some of that up and doesn't make it so difficult and gross to clean.

As for hides, go to walmart and hit up the potting section---those plastic terra cotta saucers make great hides (Thanks Zach!).

Joejr14 said:
My main problems with newspaper are the smell, and the fact that the snake hides under the newspaper and then craps all over the bottom of the tank. At least the aspen soaks some of that up and doesn't make it so difficult and gross to clean.

As for hides, go to walmart and hit up the potting section---those plastic terra cotta saucers make great hides (Thanks Zach!).

I agree, i have just switched from Aspen to newspaper for the time being, due to finding mites in the aspen..freaked me a little so i switched to newspaper. it is easier but as you say they get under the paper & pooh on the bottom of the viv !

Back