PDA

View Full Version : There should be a torture chamber for...

There should be a torture chamber for...

SnakeNutt
05-04-2005, 03:11 PM
...people who deliberately run over snakes.

Just got back from the barn, and my day is absolutely ruined. As I was driving down the nice country road, about 200 feet behind a car up ahead, I saw the car swerve into the lane for on-coming traffic (no one was coming) and then swerve back. Knowing that groundhogs, squirrels, turtles, etc., live along that road, I slowed and kept my eyes peeled to the right, to make sure I didn't hit whatever critter the person in front of me swerved to miss.

Then, when I neared the spot where the car had swerved, I saw something wriggling frantically in the road to my left. I immediately knew what had happened, and heartsick, I stopped beside it. Beautiful little eastern kingsnake (probably a new hatchling), with its lower half smushed and entrails squeezed out the vent. I used the heel of my boot to shorten its misery (I've taken snakes hit on the road to vets before when they weren't in too bad a shape, but this one was a guaranteed goner), and then cursed the driver so casually driving away after deliberately running over the harmless little snake.

I know, logically, that the hatchling could have been some hawk's lunch only moments earlier, but at least it would have served a purpose in the circle of life. As it was, a senseless waste and a cruelty the little snake never deserved. Just makes me furious.

Sorry. Needed to vent.

princess
05-04-2005, 03:23 PM
Vent away as much as you need to, just reading that made me angry and very sad for the poor little creature that did absolutely nothing to harm that nasty SOB driving that car in front of you.

We gon't have so many snakes here but the baby gese every year right near my place...so sad...we have to pull the necks of a few every spring that have been hit by cars and have compund fractured legs or ripped open chests...it's horribly sad but it's better to kill them quickly and let a fox take the body in the night or let them suffer all day, possibly passing on or possibly still being alive when the fox comes at dusk....

SnakeNutt
05-04-2005, 11:08 PM
Vent away as much as you need to, just reading that made me angry and very sad for the poor little creature that did absolutely nothing to harm that nasty SOB driving that car in front of you.

Thanks, Princess. I appreciate you commiserating with me.

This is why I make every effort to take my snakes to my kids' schools (when the more open-minded teachers allow me to). I show the children how docile the non-venomous snakes can be (although I caution them that any wild snake can/will bite when first captured), I tell them how beneficial they are in the environment, and I urge them to tell their parents not to indiscrimately kill every snake that crosses their backyards. It's always amazing -- and gratifying -- to me to see the kids who are most frightened at first eventually get up the nerve to come up and ask to touch or hold one of my snakes. All it takes is just a little bit of education and gentle persuasion, and converts are made. I do this with everyone -- my neighbors, my coworkers at the office, the overnight-delivery people who bring me my snakes, even the Animal Control officer who showed up at my door last fall when one of my idiotic neighbors thought it way MY snakes escaping to terrify her in her backyard -- duh, she lives beside an overgrown pasture full of mice, lizards, etc.

I sure wish we could round up all adult humans and put them in a classroom to do the same thing, to show them how harmless non-venomous snakes really are.

Sisuitl
05-05-2005, 03:41 AM
I totally agree. Educating the general public goes a long way to safeguarding our friends. It's wonderful that you are sharing your pets with so many people.

What a horrible person to run over a snake on purpose like that. Those same people aren't likely doing it just because they are prejudiced towards snakes though. I've seen plenty of jerks purposefully run down raccoons, dogs, cats, squirrels, possums, etc. Our beautiful little pair of native weasels were smushed by some jerk who swerved out of his way just to hit them. Grrrrr.......You are right, and I believe that in the afterlife there is some sort of special torture just for people who do that kind of thing.

At least there is some consolation knowing that many hawks and other birds keep a close eye on the roads for an easy meal, so they don't go completely to waste.

herp_lover2004
05-05-2005, 06:56 PM
I had the best idea, you will probley things to far out there but hear me out... why dont we (meaning a lot of people on this site) get a couple of groups like 1 or 2 groups and all over the united states or where ever any one is, have like a club or something... dont know really what to call it... but have it free, have refreashments and some type of food and post every where like the news, newspapers, word of mouth that adualts and children can go a learn about snakes like you do in classes but its open to the public and say that EVERY one is encruged to go especilay adualts... but its just an idea.

Sisuitl
05-05-2005, 11:45 PM
That would be cool. I always thought about teaching an IPM (integrated pest management) gardening class through the local community services. Aside from cutting down on unnecesarry pesticide use, it would be cool to introduce garter snakes to folks in the classroom and teach them about what awesome slug eaters they are, so less of them get whacked by the Hoe Of Doom.

pcar
05-06-2005, 11:56 AM
I had the best idea, you will probley things to far out there but hear me out... why dont we (meaning a lot of people on this site) get a couple of groups like 1 or 2 groups and all over the united states or where ever any one is, have like a club or something... dont know really what to call it... but have it free, have refreashments and some type of food and post every where like the news, newspapers, word of mouth that adualts and children can go a learn about snakes like you do in classes but its open to the public and say that EVERY one is encruged to go especilay adualts... but its just an idea.

There are already these clubs in most large cities in most states. They are called Reptiles Societies. To find one in your city or town, do a search on the web, or check the local reptile shops and pet stores. If you don't find one, then by all means start one. They are well worth the time, and really help out with education and all. I have been to meetings at the one here in Austin, and the one in San Antonio. Both are hosted by wonderful people, and always have something fun going on.

peep_827
05-09-2005, 05:56 PM
I witnessed someone try to run over a coyote the other day. Thank goodness they didn't get him/her. I was so mad I was almost in tears. I've seen them hit on the side of the road before but never realized that people do it on purpose. I guess I shouldn't be surprised, but I was.

I don't think there's a herp society in my area, I've checked around a little. What would be involved in starting one?

Sisuitl
05-09-2005, 07:02 PM
Wouldn't it be ironic if one of them swerved off the road and hit a tree while trying to run over some helpless animal? My dad saw that happen to a guy who tried to run over a fawn that was waiting to cross the road with his mum. Served the guy right. He ended up pretty mangled too since he also wasn't wearing a seat belt. Can we say karma? :rolleyes:

Just find some herpers in the area and get them to meet regularly. :) You could see if local petstores will allow you to hang fliers up advertising your club. That way when they come to buy crickets/feeders etc. they'll find out about the society. You don't need many people to start. Two or three will work fine!

pcar
05-09-2005, 07:22 PM
then for the first couple of meetings, you have each person in the group talk a little about themselves and the herps they keep. Maybe bringing some to show off. As your club gets bigger you work on getting people to come and talk to your group about herping experiences they have done, if they are in the herp field what they do, etc. Then, when you have enough people in your group to warrent it, you start group outings. Go to places like Zoo herp houses, wildlife preserves, etc, to learn about the herps that live in that community. They are actually really fun.

oldhand
05-13-2005, 04:05 PM
Wouldn't it be ironic if one of them swerved off the road and hit a tree while trying to run over some helpless animal?

If i saw that i would p#?# myself laughing.

Sorry it's just really upsetting when thing like this happen.... more so when done on purpuse.

SnakeNutt i'm with you people like that should be, not to put to fine a word on it, castrated nice and slowley.

mwr920
05-14-2005, 11:13 PM
Wouldn't it be ironic if one of them swerved off the road and hit a tree while trying to run over some helpless animal? My dad saw that happen to a guy who tried to run over a fawn that was waiting to cross the road with his mum. Served the guy right. He ended up pretty mangled too since he also wasn't wearing a seat belt. Can we say karma? :rolleyes:

Looks like the karma police got him [/RADIOHEAD]

Indyshark
05-14-2005, 11:50 PM
I have seem the same thing on a mountain bike trail near my home. I like to walk the trail and most people on it ride bikes. On many trips I will see several small snakes that have been run over. I can't tell if the riders didn't see the snake or swerved to hit it. I found one pretty snake that had just been run over. I could tell it wasn't going to make it so I moved it off the trail and into the grass. It was depressing.

MegF.
05-15-2005, 01:00 PM
I know there are people who will deliberately run over any animal....sick! We've done local talks at our PetCo on the difference between rattlesnakes and non-poisonous varieties, and it went over really well. My friend used to have a 5 ft. Western diamondback that was about as thick around as your arm and had fangs that were easily visible across the room. He used to bring him out to demonstrate the differences between the two species. Old Harrah finally died of old age at 25 yrs. old! Our local state park has a wildlife center and they have reptile appreciation day where you can bring your reptile to show off in a contest for the prettiest and ugliest. They also show the local reptile population and do education, so there's plenty of stuff out there for people to learn.

cornsnakejunkie
05-20-2005, 12:39 PM
That is all it is. One time when I was about 9 or 10 my Mom and I were driving down the road and what appeared to be a king snake was crossing. Her, having the philosophy "the only good snake is a dead snake" runs over it, stops the car, backs up over it, and runs over it again. This broke my little heart, as I was begging her not to run over it in the first place. Unfortunatly to this day I cannot convince her that snakes play a vital role in nature, but I still haven't stopped trying, and I never will. She(along with millions of others)still believe that "coachwhips" will actually whip you to death, "racers" will chase you down just to bite you, and so on and so on. Until recently(thanks to me)she believed that racers were venomous.....And I mean absolutly no disrespect to my Mom as I love her more that anything, but she has been brainwashed by myth and for some people the initial fear of the myth will always overcome the facts. But WE CAN'T STOP TRYING. I believe that as generations pass so do the myths, as I have noticed that the majority of "snakeaphobes" are in the upper age group, this is most likely in part due to people like us, the ones that are willing to take a stand and educate our young, not with assumptions and theories but with cold hard facts. Keep up the good work!!!!!!!!
:sidestep:

Matt

Bl1nd
07-09-2005, 02:40 AM
that frigin' piss's me off

PssdffJay
07-09-2005, 03:02 AM
That is really sick, I would assume some people would do it out of fear and lack of information, heck i was afraid of snakes a few months ago untill my friend made me hold his corn, now I have my own! But i would never run one over even if I was afraid!

debcash
07-09-2005, 09:32 AM
It amazes me how ignorant and just plain stupid some people can be. I have always loved snakes, (all animals) for as long as I can remember I was out catching frogs, snakes, salamanders and my husband and son are the same way. When we see something new - whether it's reptile, insect or bird -we have a great time researching it and learning about it. When we got our first family snake I was shocked at how many people (my neighbors and co-workers) thought I was insane...they are either terrified of snakes or just think that they are slimey creatures that have no purpose.
Last weekend I brought 'angel' out to the neighbors during a cookout and I was pleasantly suprised. The kids were curious and gentle - after handling her a bit thought she was wonderful. The parents who were very anti-snake, started to come around a bit... (It will take awhile to teach these people that snakes are beautiful creatures with an important role in nature.)
I have heard 'the only good snake is a dead snake' a dozen times since getting our corn snake.
Next week I am bringing Angel to my office for a short visit. I may not change eveyone's mind, but I'll do my best to make them think about letting a snake cross the road or their yard unharmed. (I love the idea of going to the school too!)
If we all do our part to help people understand and appreciate our reptile friends maybe we can save a few more. (I'm bringing a friend and her son to the reptile show in Sept.) This is a great thread - thanks for starting it!

Deb

hana
07-09-2005, 08:59 PM
cruel. Why in the world would anyone hurt an animal that wasn't threatening their life? But I guess some people are just like that. One day I saw a group of older boys messing with some creature; it iritated me so I grabed my pitch fork (wasn't sure what I was going to to with it but ya never know :) ) turned out they had pulled a snapping turtle out of our pond and were getting ready to kill it. So, I told them in so many words that if they killed it no good would come of it and I watched like a hawk while they let it go took their stuff and left. There's just no reason for stuff like that. There really was no point to that story, but I'm annoyed and I tend to ramble when I get that way. :)

cornsnakejunkie
07-10-2005, 05:07 PM
A guy at work told me the other day that he saw a snapping turtle in the road, so he got out of his truck and shot it with a 9mm. His reason?......"those things are mean" he says. Now how exactly is a turtle "mean"? Moron.

PssdffJay
07-10-2005, 05:18 PM
If you want to see more ignorant people to throw in the dungeon, check this out, there is already a thread here : http://www.cornsnakes.com/forums/showthread.php?t=22326

the original military sight is pretty infuriating!

coyote
08-21-2005, 09:51 PM
A guy at work told me the other day that he saw a snapping turtle in the road, so he got out of his truck and shot it with a 9mm. His reason?......"those things are mean" he says. Now how exactly is a turtle "mean"? Moron.

Thank God those snappers don't have guns!

TandJ
08-21-2005, 11:26 PM
I consider myself a natrualist in the sense of letting nature be. Much the same opinion I think is shared here, let nature be. Of course I do go fishing ( I have not since I moved to California, but that is because I find to few areas to actually go fishing ) and don't mind people hunting for food, as opposed to the game. I find it sad that some people really can't connect to the natrual element, everything has its place, and that includes venomous snakes. I really dislike the so called animal rights groups ( I don't need to mention any names, because we here understand who they are ). I have a love for nature and prefer to be in it than around it, and prefer not to be around many people ( jokes on me, I exist, not live, in California ). I try to teach people when I can about animals and fish ( I have numerous fish tanks too ) and about the importance they play in nature. I prefer CB animals as opposed to native wild species, for good reason, and I prefer to be with people that share that intrest.

Regards..

bballmatt100
08-22-2005, 08:54 PM
All this "snakes are bad" and "the only good snake is a dead snake" stuff is really pissin me off. If people would sit down and hear someone out who knew what they were talking about for 10 m in. they would probaly have a changed veiw.

JenC
08-23-2005, 08:02 PM
Yeah..really sux when that happens:( There are so many dead garters on my road...And there was a lobster..a live lobster..how..IDK but there was , in the road, and my friend ran over it with his bike...*resisted strangling him*

My other friend also ran over a 4ft garter with a lawn mower..on purpose .. to see what would happen....ick

*not trying to get everyone all ryled up but* Same thing with Pit Bulls..people think they are bad dogs (owning a half pit myself) when they dont even kno them...

To me, people who diliberately run over or try and hit animals..are the same kinda people who like pit bull fighting and cock fighting and stuff like that...just pisses me off...

If i saw someone purposesly drive over an animal..i would let that person kno how i feel...i can guarantee it woudnt be pretty lol

Sasheena
08-30-2005, 10:02 AM
When I was 12 or 13 years old my family and I visited a piece of property my grandmother owned in northern california. There was an old burnt out house on the property with lots of debris. The house had burned down 8 to 10 years previously, and nobody had lived on the 120+ acre piece of property since then. I was sitting cross legged on what used to be the kitchen floor when my brother lifted a board inches away from my knee. Underneath was the most magnificent 6+ diamondback rattler. My father was going to kill it but we convinced him to catch it in an old bucket and take it away to release it.

Of course later, when my Uncle built a house on that property, he did end up killing a good number of rattlesnakes and always cursed us that we didn't kill the one we found. One day he was bringing his wife out of the house to take her to the hospital to have her baby (in labor), when he was stopped on his threshold by another diamondback. It wouldn't let him pass, so he shot it dead. They had barely taken two steps closer to their car when another rattlesnake got in their way and wouldn't let them pass. In all I believe he shot three rattlesnakes dead on his way from his front door to the car to take his wife to the hospital to give birth.

I think it is wrong to swerve to kill an animal, but I sometimes don't bother to swerve to avoid one either. I've had to teach myself that swerving to avoid animals is a BAD thing. It can get you killed. Luckily the only animals that have been killed is three or four doves. (dumb critters).

Rorryy
09-11-2005, 06:52 PM
Yeah..really sux when that happens:( There are so many dead garters on my road...And there was a lobster..a live lobster..how..IDK but there was , in the road, and my friend ran over it with his bike...*resisted strangling him*

My other friend also ran over a 4ft garter with a lawn mower..on purpose .. to see what would happen....ick

*not trying to get everyone all ryled up but* Same thing with Pit Bulls..people think they are bad dogs (owning a half pit myself) when they dont even kno them...

To me, people who diliberately run over or try and hit animals..are the same kinda people who like pit bull fighting and cock fighting and stuff like that...just pisses me off...

If i saw someone purposesly drive over an animal..i would let that person kno how i feel...i can guarantee it woudnt be pretty lol
I can't agree with you more. Like everyone says this is due to ignorance. There is actually a county in Wa, Yakima, where Pit Bulls are banned in the city limits. When Pits attack it is generally the owner that needs to be shot not the dog!

daufoi
09-11-2005, 09:46 PM
Going to have to be the devil's advocate here (although I would never go out of my way to kill anything... except insects, and silverfish - I just plain hate those things). The people who purposely kill things, in my opinion, probably do it because they ARE part of the circle of life. After all, man still has some animal in him, and that's what we do kill things. Furthermore, the snake should have never been in the road in the first place. In addition, where there's one snake, there's probably much much more so the overall ecosystem won't feel a thing. And finally, as some of you have already said, a hawk, vulture, or raven will come by and eat it (some hawks are scavengers). If not, the bacteria will get to it, and the circle of life is complete. Death and life... can't separate em, don't pull your hair out over it.

Sisuitl
09-12-2005, 11:35 AM
In addition, where there's one snake, there's probably much much more so the overall ecosystem won't feel a thing.

Not necessarily. A lot of local rattlesnake populations around the country are in big trouble because rattlesnakes are livebearers. When the females are "incubating" the babies in them, they need to keep their overall body temperatures up for the babies to develop properly. The vast majority of road killed rattlers and rattlers killed by hikers are pregnant females basking on the most convenient flat spot that happens to warm up first thing in the morning. When you keep in mind that most rattlesnakes don't reach sexual maturity until 3-7years of age, and then only bear young once every 3-4 years after that, killing even a few breeding females has a significant impact on rattler populations.

JenC
09-16-2005, 01:12 PM
After all, man still has some animal in him, and that's what we do kill things. Furthermore, the snake should have never been in the road in the first place.

Now now now, you cant blame the snake for what people do...PEOPLE are the ones who built the road on the snakes habitat....now its peoples fault the darn things are going into the road and getting killed...NOT the snakes.

Reminds me of a story similar to this..

A very good friend of mine, was married, and had a golden retriever that just loved every body. When she would leave for work, her husband would beat the sh*t out of the dog, "just to hear it cry" (his exact words) Poor dog had to have his left hind leg amputated, and now wont go near ANY guy...thankfully, he is now her EX.

daufoi
09-16-2005, 09:37 PM
Now now now, you cant blame the snake for what people do...PEOPLE are the ones who built the road on the snakes habitat....now its peoples fault the darn things are going into the road and getting killed...NOT the snakes.

So where is man's habitat? Every piece of land is habitated by some kind of animal, does that mean we should all just vanish?

The snake shouldn't be in the road because that's where it's going to get killed. Kind of like, no snake or any animal should be getting in the way of a heard of buffalos. Cause guess what? They'll get killed. Should we blame the buffalo? (those bastards)

Don't get me wrong, I'm not condoning those persons' actions. But I'm not going to wail over it either.

Sisuitl
09-17-2005, 03:25 AM
I'm not saying that people should just disapear, because we need to live somewhere as well. I am saying that it is wrong to go out of your way to kill something just "because it's fun" or "I don't like them". I am also saying that killing reptiles and amphibians does have a significant impact on their populations.

When we plop a highway down right in the middle of a local turtle population's route to their breeding pond, what do you expect them to do during breeding season? Lay their eggs in the ditch? No, they are going to head to the same pond they have been laying eggs at the past several hundred years or more, and a lot of them are going to get hit by cars. In this scenario, all of the turtles being killed are breeding adults, and most species of turtle take several years to reach breeding age and have a low survival rate among their offspring. This exact problem is very serious in some areas, and special turtle underpasses have been created in some places with the funds to do so because of the huge impact cars were having on their population.

Also, people who go out of their way to harm animals are not satisfying some primal urge to hunt. Those individuals are seriously unbalanced and a danger to humans around them. If you look at every serial killer in history, they all started out abusing, mutilating, and killing animals before they worked their way up to people.

daufoi
09-17-2005, 06:55 AM
I am also saying that killing reptiles and amphibians does have a significant impact on their populations.

When we plop a highway down right in the middle of a local turtle population's route to their breeding pond, what do you expect them to do during breeding season? Lay their eggs in the ditch? No, they are going to head to the same pond they have been laying eggs at the past several hundred years or more, and a lot of them are going to get hit by cars. In this scenario, all of the turtles being killed are breeding adults, and most species of turtle take several years to reach breeding age and have a low survival rate among their offspring. This exact problem is very serious in some areas, and special turtle underpasses have been created in some places with the funds to do so because of the huge impact cars were having on their population.

Good point and this raises an interesting topic. The question is how concerned do people really need to be about animal extinction/environmental conservation? Nobody wants to see beautiful animals disappear off the face of the earth, but it has happened in the past (ie dinosaurs). You can argue, well these animals died to natural causes, environmental conditions that were not caused by man. And I would say, but isn't man natural? Wasn't he created with the same earth any other animal was created? Hence, it seems to follow that man's actions on nature is as much a part of the circle of life as say a meteor. I don't believe man is above nature and therefore I would have to believe that no matter what man does to the earth, negative or positive, nature will balance it in some way (maybe by wiping us out with a meteor). The bottom line here is that nature is dynamic. Things live and die and no matter how much people try, you just can't perserve every little species you encounter. Furthermore, trying to perserve such things is only good for the observer, not the ones who are actually living.

Also, people who go out of their way to harm animals are not satisfying some primal urge to hunt. Those individuals are seriously unbalanced and a danger to humans around them. If you look at every serial killer in history, they all started out abusing, mutilating, and killing animals before they worked their way up to people.

I find this to be more than slightly exaggarated. Is there really a psychological profile on every serial killer known in history and are these documents all readily available? And you've read all these? On the contrary, I think people who are going out of their way to hurt animals are weak more than anything else. Furthermore, we're not talking about animal abuse or mutilation. This thread started off with somebody running over a snake in a car. There is a complete disassociation between the killer and killed. There is no enjoyment in watching it suffer or seeing its guts hanging out of its body. This just a childish prank to kill something. I used to kill bugs and snails when I was a kid. I loved it. If I see a kid doing it, I would probably laugh it off. Afterall, that's what little boys do. This is obviously a person that never outgrew that. However, this is NOT about some golden retriever (which of course everyone would love) that needed an amputated leg because of daily abuse by some deranged lunatic. This is NOT about Ozzy Osbourne mutilating sheep on stage just for show. Let's keep some things in perspective.

stormi
09-17-2005, 02:10 PM
yea i could never understand why people delibratly go outta there way to harm or kill something for no reason

ultimuttone
09-17-2005, 02:30 PM
"I used to kill bugs and snails when I was a kid. I loved it. If I see a kid doing it, I would probably laugh it off. Afterall, that's what little boys do."

Those were the little boys I used to beat up when I was a kid.

Sisuitl
09-17-2005, 04:29 PM
Last time I checked, this thread was about people's disgust over humans who deliberately run over animals with their cars. That constitutes animal abuse. Let's break this down to essentials here:

Running over an animal on purpose is a way for a human to find joy/fulfillment/power by dominating an animal they know cannot defend itself.

Lets substitute a few pronouns.

Raping another human is a way for a human to find joy/fulfillment/power by dominating someone who they know cannot defend themselves.

or

Beating a child is a way for a human to find joy/fulfillment/power by dominating someone who they know cannot defend themselves.

I should have worded it "most documented cases of serial killers" not "all serial killers in history" since not all serial killers are documented. All you need to do is a google search on animal cruelty and serial killers, you will find hundreds of cases in answer to your question. I will however, list some names of killers who admitted to or were found to have abused animals prior to humans.

Josef Stalin
Patrick Sherrill
Earl Kenneth Shriner
Brenda Spencer
Albert DeSalvo (The Boston Strangler)
Carroll Edward Cole
Jeffrey Dahmer
Kip Kinkel
Luke Woodham
Eric Harris and Dylan Klebold

If you think a child killing bugs and snails for the pure enjoyment of it is funny, you should take a look at this article. "Children Who Are Cruel to Animals: A Review of Research and Implications for Developmental Psychopathology." Anthrozoös, Vol. 6 (1993), by Frank Ascione.

Robert Ressler, head of the FBI's behavioral science unit said this about serial killers, "These are the kids who never learned it’s wrong to poke out a puppy’s eyes" (quote from the Washington Times, 23, Jan 1998 "Animal Cruelty may be a warning).

On an environmental note, while some people believe that humans will be just fine despite how many fisheries are depleted, how many forests are leveled for toilet paper and napkins, and species disapear, I think that it's to our benefit to be careful where we live and be mindful of those around us. While the earth seems to have recovered nicely in the past from mass extinctions, that's exactly what they were, mass extinctions. If we go on our merry way disregarding the effects we are having on our planet, turtles and rattlesnakes won't be the only things disappearing. Humans haven't really been around very long, and if we don't start exercising our superior brainpower we might not be around much longer.

stormi
09-17-2005, 07:56 PM
[QUOTE=Sisuitl]

Running over an animal on purpose is a way for a human to find joy/fulfillment/power by dominating an animal they know cannot defend itself.

Lets substitute a few pronouns.

Raping another human is a way for a human to find joy/fulfillment/power by dominating someone who they know cannot defend themselves.

or

Beating a child is a way for a human to find joy/fulfillment/power by dominating someone who they know cannot defend themselves.

QUOTE]

a little harsh but yes, i see what he is saying...maybe even is the child was mental.i wouldn't laugh it off but id understand..id think of him as a $&%*ing brat..but I'd understand.

Mary-Beth
09-17-2005, 10:35 PM
This is NOT about Ozzy Osbourne mutilating sheep on stage just for show. Let's keep some things in perspective.

:-offtopic
Ozzy Osbourne does not mutilate sheep on stage for show. He has stated that he never knowingly harmed any animal, but yes he did bite the head off of a bat. At a concert people were throwing plastic bats on stage and he would bite the heads off, then someone threw a real bat up there and he didn't realize his mistake until it was too late.

This is similar to the rumor that Alice Cooper rips the heads off of chickens on stage. His version of the story is that someone threw a live chicken onto the stage, and being a city boy he thought that if he threw it into the air it would fly away. So he threw it into the air and it fell down to the crowd where it was ripped to shreds.

Yes lets keep things in perspective and stop exaggerating.

daufoi
09-18-2005, 01:03 AM
OK, sorry to the Ozbourne fans.

@Sisuitl

I don't see the relevance of the situations that were substituted for this one. How is raping someone similar to running over a snake? This is being taken to extreme measures. So extreme that, in my opinion, they are not the same thing as running over snake.

Running over an animal with your car and killing bugs and snails is not the same thing as poking a dog's eyes out. The former is childish, immature destruction, in some ways done out of primal instinct. The latter is pleasure from seeing something suffer, or maybe seeing the gore. It's on another level.

Furthermore, should we take ultmuttone's bullying also as a sign of deranged lunacy that will eventually lead him into the halls of the FBI's behavioral sciences? Is he not, in a way, torturing other school kids, causing them pain and grief?

If we go on our merry way disregarding the effects we are having on our planet, turtles and rattlesnakes won't be the only things disappearing. Humans haven't really been around very long, and if we don't start exercising our superior brainpower we might not be around much longer.

This is what I mean when I say nature will balance it out. It's part of the cycle.

ultimuttone
09-18-2005, 01:20 AM
"Furthermore, should we take ultmuttone's bullying also as a sign of deranged lunacy that will eventually lead him into the halls of the FBI's behavioral sciences? Is he not, in a way, torturing other school kids, causing them pain and grief? "

First - I am not a him
Second- I was simply stating that even as a child I knew that such behavior was wrong. I don't think it was "bullying" for me to stand up and fight for these poor creatures that were unable to defend themselves against the inhumane treatment of these boys. And while you may see it as "boys will be boys", I see it as boys who have no consideration for anything but their own selfish indulgence. And I would hope that my girls would do the very same thing to any boy(or girl) who tried such behavior in their presence. Actually, I know they would.
Third- I am one of those people who will hold up traffic to move an animal out of the road-dog, cat,tortoise or snake. If you feel that is extreme-don't drive behind me.

ultimuttone
09-18-2005, 01:42 AM
Just to avoid any misunderstandings-I am not condoning violence or encouraging my children to 'beat up' anyone. I do encourage them to help others, human or not. I would not punish them for popping someone in the nose if that is what they had to do to protect some one/thing else from being hurt.

daufoi
09-18-2005, 02:07 AM
"boys will be boys", I see it as boys who have no consideration for anything but their own selfish indulgence.

That is what boys will be boys means. After all, they're kids not old enough to know much beyond self indulgence.

daufoi
09-18-2005, 02:12 AM
Anyway, my point with saying that was to show that just because you're inflicting pain on something or killing something doesn't necessarily mean you're going to end up as a serial killer.

The third point takes what I'm saying out of context.

And on a final note: if my snake was to get run over by a car, purposely or not, I would not lose sleep over it. It's a snake not my son! I will just buy a new one. Which just goes to show you, pets are not people, despite how some people treat them.

daufoi
09-18-2005, 02:19 AM
My mistake, after thinking about it more, the third point is not really out of context. It just means I'm going to drive around you and kill whatever you're waiting for.

ultimuttone
09-18-2005, 04:08 AM
You post a thread because you think that your snake likes the smell of your cooking, but you feel other people are anthropomorphizing because they don't like to see an animal senselessly killed or injured. :headbang: :headbang: :headbang:

I obviously need much more coffee because I just don't get it.

daufoi
09-18-2005, 04:57 AM
where did that come from? all I was saying in the other post is the snake is attracted to the scent of food cooking. nothing anthropomorphized about. lots of animals like the smell of food cooking... Maybe you ought to lay off the coffee instead

Mary-Beth
09-18-2005, 07:44 AM
That is what boys will be boys means. After all, they're kids not old enough to know much beyond self indulgence.

I couldn't disagree more. I have a six year old that is compasionate and knows when she is causing something or someone pain and it upsets her.

JenC
09-18-2005, 08:35 AM
So where is man's habitat? Every piece of land is habitated by some kind of animal, does that mean we should all just vanish?

The snake shouldn't be in the road because that's where it's going to get killed. Kind of like, no snake or any animal should be getting in the way of a heard of buffalos. Cause guess what? They'll get killed. Should we blame the buffalo? (those bastards)

Don't get me wrong, I'm not condoning those persons' actions. But I'm not going to wail over it either.

But its not the snakes fault that people invaded its habitat, FORCEING the snake to HAVE to get across roads tog et to certain things it needs.

rob&spence331
10-15-2010, 05:39 AM
I too dislike it when people purposely run animals over. The only time that I think it would be somewhat justified would be a dangerous animal near their home. Like within feet of their home not well, it was ten miles up the road from their home. I laugh when I see the people who swerve at night to hit the little bat in the road and they are sooo busy aiming at the bat they miss the big buck in the road in front of them as well as the me flashing my brights while using my hazards to warn them as is the car in the other lane. Then, the bat flees at the last second and.... WHAM!!! five point buck hit at 60mph by a lil sportscar which now looks like a tin can and the buck flees. Now, was hitting an innocent lil bat really worth the cost of a new car? I have also seen people who go in the ditch to run over animals in winter time only to get stuck in the snow. serves them right! I wish these people would think before acting. How would they like it if someone purposely ran over their beloved pet? Yes, wild animals don't belong to anyone, but, they deserve to live too. sorry for the rant, just got worked up. lol.

MyLittleGuyCyrus
10-15-2010, 11:59 AM
I'm the opposite.....I swerve to MISS the little critters!!!!! I saw a prairie dog once in the middle of the road.....pulling his way to safety after his back end had been crushed! My whole week was ruined seeing that......poor little guy!

We have a teacher here that has a class called "Slithers". Kids can take this as an elective. She (and the kids) go from school to school with probably 30 snakes so as to teach people of how sweet and docile they really can be! It was actually this event that made me learn more about corns and run out and get one (she had two there that I fell in love with)! Before this I was paralyzed with fear over snakes......any snake!! She was just at my kids school again a couple of weeks ago and has offered to let me mate Cyrus (who I now think is a girl) with one of her corns so I can experience the whole clutch/pipping thing! It's awesome because she has done it before and said she would help me!!!!

Now, I am not near as brave as a lot of people on here who will just pick up a "stray" snake, always scared of that bite ya know!!!! But, I have captured 4 garter snakes from my sister in laws basement and relocated them to an open space by my house!!

A belated thank you to all the people on here who have ever answered my ridiculous questions regarding Cyrus......I was such a newb! I was scared of doing EVERYTHING wrong!!!!

CodeRed
10-15-2010, 06:29 PM
I was in a driving class and the teacher told us about how he'd driven with a girl, a very slow driver not going past the 20 mph zone and such, and how when he was driving with her she spotted a groundhog and slammed on the gas. The teacher stepped on the break just in time to miss the animal, but the girl complained that he'd cost her "points". Apparently, the girl's family keeps a point system depending on the animal hit. Groundhogs are worth 20 points. On the way back home another groundhog, or perhaps the same, ran out onto the road, and the girl slammed on the gas and killed it. She got her points in the end, but the groundhog lost the ultimate game.
It sickened me as people in the class laughed. Life meant so little to them...

TandJ
10-15-2010, 09:03 PM
Wow.. resurection after 5yrs..

CodeRed
10-15-2010, 10:07 PM
Holy crow, didn't see the years (: Well, then. Glad to see old threads? Maybe?

dan803
01-01-2011, 04:43 PM
:realhot:

Enraging and disturbing. That's how those psycho serial killers start, with small defenseless animals. People like that should be put away.

Jdog3131
01-01-2011, 05:50 PM
Wow sometimes the people need to think about what they would feel like if they were that animal!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:realhot::realhot::-puke01::uzi::uzi::uzi:(guns aimed at people who hate animals or very stupid people)

Dreamsnake
01-01-2011, 06:25 PM
As a girl growing up in Louisiana and East Texas in the 80s I saw a lot of animal abuse as well as racism. I noticed that the kids who laughed at the racist jokes were also the kids who enjoyed torturing animals. I'd habitually rescue snakes and lizards from these jerks, but once I stood between a group of evil kids and my own two cats. My cats survived that day.

On a separate occasion at recess I was held down by two boys while another sadist hurt me. I was the one who got in trouble as the principle tried to convince that my screams of terror, humiliation, and pain was laughter and I led the boys on. I was never granted justice for this, and the boys learned they could get away with sadism.

Allalaskan
01-01-2011, 06:43 PM
up here, you aim to hit an animal, you may not live. People die up here every year from hitting moose and bears.

But I do know a few people who get a kick out of running over small animals. I will do my best to keep from hitting an animal but there are times when its to late to avoid.

Nitelion94
01-02-2011, 02:17 AM
I know people who would hit cats for fun..........

Jdog3131
01-02-2011, 10:10 AM
...but there are times when its to late to avoid.

Well thats understadable.

I know people who would hit cats for fun..........

I don't even want to know who your talking about.

As a girl growing up in Louisiana and East Texas in the 80s I saw a lot of animal abuse as well as racism. I noticed that the kids who laughed at the racist jokes were also the kids who enjoyed torturing animals. I'd habitually rescue snakes and lizards from these jerks, but once I stood between a group of evil kids and my own two cats. My cats survived that day.

...I was never granted justice for this

Wow just wow,
Those boys should be suspended...

cornsnakelovah
01-02-2011, 11:32 AM
Watching an animal get run over is a very frightning experience.
I had the unfortunate displeasure to be in the car directly next to a second car that
hit a large black lab. We stopped to help, and me and my sister ran up the driveway of the house to se if they where home. Sadly, the dog died while we franticly ran up the driveway. Thank g-d it was not a case of hit and run.
The lady who hit the animal stopped and did all she could. the dog's owners came home right about then.
At east there are some compassionet people in this world still.

Jessicat
01-02-2011, 12:54 PM
Wow.. resurection after 5yrs..

...and again a few months later. :sidestep:

Well, I guess it was cool to see a bunch of old names.

But besides that,
ZOMBIE THREAD!!!! SHOOT IT IN THE HEAD! :twoguns:

Nitelion94
01-02-2011, 01:47 PM

But besides that,

Wow someone else who knows how to kill a zombie. I myself have been studying for the zombie take over I think will happen soon.....if any of you get bit or scratched during it I will shoot you in the face...just sayin

Jdog3131
01-02-2011, 02:38 PM

But besides that,
What about this,:flames:or this:madeuce:
Wow someone else who knows how to kill a zombie. I myself have been studying for the zombie take over I think will happen soon.....if any of you get bit or scratched during it I will shoot you in the face...just sayin

Oh gosh.
Sometimes I want to do that to a select group of people anyway,YAY A EXCUSE TO...NO ONE HERE THOUGH

Allalaskan
01-02-2011, 03:27 PM

Dont forget to use your ultra Tacti-cool (hehe) and viable Ruger 10/22 decked out with the latest and most expensive aftermarket modifications!

Or buy a super expensive decked out AR-15!

:P sorry had to say that haha. Theres a gun forum I get on alot and there are quite a few people that like to joke around and talk about Zombie outbreaks lol, some of the stuff they come up with is pretty funny, and it always seems like they bring up those to guns with mods for such an event lol.

Nitelion94
01-02-2011, 06:07 PM
Dont forget to use your ultra Tacti-cool (hehe) and viable Ruger 10/22 decked out with the latest and most expensive aftermarket modifications!

Or buy a super expensive decked out AR-15!

:P sorry had to say that haha. Theres a gun forum I get on alot and there are quite a few people that like to joke around and talk about Zombie outbreaks lol, some of the stuff they come up with is pretty funny, and it always seems like they bring up those to guns with mods for such an event lol.

AR-15+free ammo..hmmmmm I could have fun

cornsnakelovah
01-02-2011, 07:08 PM

Allalaskan
01-02-2011, 08:51 PM

Jessicat started it! lol

Nitelion94
01-02-2011, 11:55 PM

mine is on topic. AR-15+free ammo+a chamber full of people who kill animals for no reason=fun ;)

Jdog3131
01-03-2011, 09:37 AM
mine is on topic. AR-15+free ammo+a chamber full of people who kill animals for no reason=fun ;)
LOL Night:fullauto::cool:(I kill animals for no reason)

Allalaskan
01-04-2011, 03:30 PM
LOL Night:fullauto::cool:(I kill animals for no reason)

You know thats the sign of a future serial killer right..........

dan803
01-04-2011, 05:19 PM
You know thats the sign of a future serial killer right..........

I don't think he was talking about himself. At least I hope not.

Jdog3131
01-04-2011, 05:29 PM
Well the person was me,BUT I will kill with a purpose anyone who kills animals because they don't like them...My name will be The Stragler,I don't stangle my burms,anacondas,and my corns(geneticly modifed to be 50-60 ft long and 3ft in diameter.
jk...or am I?

Allalaskan
01-04-2011, 05:30 PM
lol your nuts dude hahaha.

Jdog3131
01-04-2011, 05:37 PM
Well only a little...:rolleyes:

Nitelion94
01-05-2011, 05:16 AM
hhaahahha lol. Jdog lol.......hahahaahah. I kill animals but I follow the rule I eat what I kill.

Jdog3131
01-05-2011, 03:50 PM
I hope ypu know how to kill corns geneticly modifed to be 50-60 ft long and 3ft in diameter...

dan803
01-05-2011, 05:05 PM
This is a serious thread about animal abuse. It happens every day and it's a serious problem. If you can't be adults then please don't post here. Thank you.

Allalaskan
01-05-2011, 11:17 PM
This is a serious thread about animal abuse. It happens every day and it's a serious problem. If you can't be adults then please don't post here. Thank you.

Yes it is serious, how ever your not going to solve animal abuse problums by just talking about it on a forum. If you really want to do something about it you need to get out into the real world and do something about it then.

Allalaskan
01-05-2011, 11:18 PM
grrr, I accidently posted to soon.

Any way this thread has gotten off topic and needs to be redirected back on topic, that does not invovle 50ft zombies corns :P

dan803
01-05-2011, 11:19 PM
Yes it is serious, how ever your not going to solve animal abuse problums by just talking about it on a forum. If you really want to do something about it you need to get out into the real world and do something about it then.

I just wanted to remind us that it is no laughing matter, that's all.

Allalaskan
01-05-2011, 11:24 PM
I just wanted to remind us that it is no laughing matter, that's all.

I understand. I hope I didnt come off to aggresive ( I tend to some times when I dont meen too), I just know there are times people on forums (not saying any one specific just in general) will talk the talk but then if they ever have the chance to do something dont. To often I see people talk tough online but in real life events they chicken out or ignore it.

Dreamsnake
01-06-2011, 10:15 AM
That is a part of human nature we must overcome in order to achieve enlightenment: the act of doing good despite your singular best interests attached, self sacrifice. I try not to get too preachy on forums, but when it comes to philosophy and belief in right or wrong if you don't stand for something, you'll fall for anything.

Allalaskan
01-06-2011, 01:24 PM
That is a part of human nature we must overcome in order to achieve enlightenment: the act of doing good despite your singular best interests attached, self sacrifice. I try not to get too preachy on forums, but when it comes to philosophy and belief in right or wrong if you don't stand for something, you'll fall for anything.

That is one of my favorite sayings.

dan803
01-06-2011, 04:49 PM
Don't worry about it Allaskan, it happens to the best of us.

Dreamsnake
01-06-2011, 11:17 PM
Alexander Hamilton and Malcolm X, two important figures who can teach the rest of us the hard lessons of ethics, honor, and self sacrifice.

Reptileman81
01-25-2011, 03:22 PM
Just figured I would add to this thread with my story. I hope the OP doesnt mind. I had the same thing happen many years ago. I was driving behind a car when I seen it drive over something big that flew off of the road afterwards. I knew instantly it was a Gopher Tortoise. So one top of the fact the driver had no care for what he was hitting it was a protected species. I blared my horn at the SOB and tried to run him down. I then went back to the hit and run sight and the Tortoise was no where to be found. I only hope that it was ok and managed to keep on its way.

Many people in this land of the free do not deserve to be behind a wheel of a car much less have a license to do so.