• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

There should be a torture chamber for...

Mean!?

cornsnakejunkie said:
A guy at work told me the other day that he saw a snapping turtle in the road, so he got out of his truck and shot it with a 9mm. His reason?......"those things are mean" he says. Now how exactly is a turtle "mean"? Moron.

Thank God those snappers don't have guns!

I consider myself a natrualist in the sense of letting nature be. Much the same opinion I think is shared here, let nature be. Of course I do go fishing ( I have not since I moved to California, but that is because I find to few areas to actually go fishing ) and don't mind people hunting for food, as opposed to the game. I find it sad that some people really can't connect to the natrual element, everything has its place, and that includes venomous snakes. I really dislike the so called animal rights groups ( I don't need to mention any names, because we here understand who they are ). I have a love for nature and prefer to be in it than around it, and prefer not to be around many people ( jokes on me, I exist, not live, in California ). I try to teach people when I can about animals and fish ( I have numerous fish tanks too ) and about the importance they play in nature. I prefer CB animals as opposed to native wild species, for good reason, and I prefer to be with people that share that intrest.

Regards..

All this "snakes are bad" and "the only good snake is a dead snake" stuff is really pissin me off. If people would sit down and hear someone out who knew what they were talking about for 10 m in. they would probaly have a changed veiw.

Yeah..really sux when that happens:( There are so many dead garters on my road...And there was a lobster..a live lobster..how..IDK but there was , in the road, and my friend ran over it with his bike...*resisted strangling him*

My other friend also ran over a 4ft garter with a lawn mower..on purpose .. to see what would happen....ick

*not trying to get everyone all ryled up but* Same thing with Pit Bulls..people think they are bad dogs (owning a half pit myself) when they dont even kno them...

To me, people who diliberately run over or try and hit animals..are the same kinda people who like pit bull fighting and cock fighting and stuff like that...just pisses me off...

If i saw someone purposesly drive over an animal..i would let that person kno how i feel...i can guarantee it woudnt be pretty lol

When I was 12 or 13 years old my family and I visited a piece of property my grandmother owned in northern california. There was an old burnt out house on the property with lots of debris. The house had burned down 8 to 10 years previously, and nobody had lived on the 120+ acre piece of property since then. I was sitting cross legged on what used to be the kitchen floor when my brother lifted a board inches away from my knee. Underneath was the most magnificent 6+ diamondback rattler. My father was going to kill it but we convinced him to catch it in an old bucket and take it away to release it.

Of course later, when my Uncle built a house on that property, he did end up killing a good number of rattlesnakes and always cursed us that we didn't kill the one we found. One day he was bringing his wife out of the house to take her to the hospital to have her baby (in labor), when he was stopped on his threshold by another diamondback. It wouldn't let him pass, so he shot it dead. They had barely taken two steps closer to their car when another rattlesnake got in their way and wouldn't let them pass. In all I believe he shot three rattlesnakes dead on his way from his front door to the car to take his wife to the hospital to give birth.

I think it is wrong to swerve to kill an animal, but I sometimes don't bother to swerve to avoid one either. I've had to teach myself that swerving to avoid animals is a BAD thing. It can get you killed. Luckily the only animals that have been killed is three or four doves. (dumb critters).

JenC said:
Yeah..really sux when that happens:( There are so many dead garters on my road...And there was a lobster..a live lobster..how..IDK but there was , in the road, and my friend ran over it with his bike...*resisted strangling him*

My other friend also ran over a 4ft garter with a lawn mower..on purpose .. to see what would happen....ick

*not trying to get everyone all ryled up but* Same thing with Pit Bulls..people think they are bad dogs (owning a half pit myself) when they dont even kno them...

To me, people who diliberately run over or try and hit animals..are the same kinda people who like pit bull fighting and cock fighting and stuff like that...just pisses me off...

If i saw someone purposesly drive over an animal..i would let that person kno how i feel...i can guarantee it woudnt be pretty lol
I can't agree with you more. Like everyone says this is due to ignorance. There is actually a county in Wa, Yakima, where Pit Bulls are banned in the city limits. When Pits attack it is generally the owner that needs to be shot not the dog!

Going to have to be the devil's advocate here (although I would never go out of my way to kill anything... except insects, and silverfish - I just plain hate those things). The people who purposely kill things, in my opinion, probably do it because they ARE part of the circle of life. After all, man still has some animal in him, and that's what we do kill things. Furthermore, the snake should have never been in the road in the first place. In addition, where there's one snake, there's probably much much more so the overall ecosystem won't feel a thing. And finally, as some of you have already said, a hawk, vulture, or raven will come by and eat it (some hawks are scavengers). If not, the bacteria will get to it, and the circle of life is complete. Death and life... can't separate em, don't pull your hair out over it.

daufoi said:
In addition, where there's one snake, there's probably much much more so the overall ecosystem won't feel a thing.

Not necessarily. A lot of local rattlesnake populations around the country are in big trouble because rattlesnakes are livebearers. When the females are "incubating" the babies in them, they need to keep their overall body temperatures up for the babies to develop properly. The vast majority of road killed rattlers and rattlers killed by hikers are pregnant females basking on the most convenient flat spot that happens to warm up first thing in the morning. When you keep in mind that most rattlesnakes don't reach sexual maturity until 3-7years of age, and then only bear young once every 3-4 years after that, killing even a few breeding females has a significant impact on rattler populations.

daufoi said:
After all, man still has some animal in him, and that's what we do kill things. Furthermore, the snake should have never been in the road in the first place.

Now now now, you cant blame the snake for what people do...PEOPLE are the ones who built the road on the snakes habitat....now its peoples fault the darn things are going into the road and getting killed...NOT the snakes.

Reminds me of a story similar to this..

A very good friend of mine, was married, and had a golden retriever that just loved every body. When she would leave for work, her husband would beat the sh*t out of the dog, "just to hear it cry" (his exact words) Poor dog had to have his left hind leg amputated, and now wont go near ANY guy...thankfully, he is now her EX.

JenC said:
Now now now, you cant blame the snake for what people do...PEOPLE are the ones who built the road on the snakes habitat....now its peoples fault the darn things are going into the road and getting killed...NOT the snakes.

So where is man's habitat? Every piece of land is habitated by some kind of animal, does that mean we should all just vanish?

The snake shouldn't be in the road because that's where it's going to get killed. Kind of like, no snake or any animal should be getting in the way of a heard of buffalos. Cause guess what? They'll get killed. Should we blame the buffalo? (those bastards)

Don't get me wrong, I'm not condoning those persons' actions. But I'm not going to wail over it either.

I'm not saying that people should just disapear, because we need to live somewhere as well. I am saying that it is wrong to go out of your way to kill something just "because it's fun" or "I don't like them". I am also saying that killing reptiles and amphibians does have a significant impact on their populations.

When we plop a highway down right in the middle of a local turtle population's route to their breeding pond, what do you expect them to do during breeding season? Lay their eggs in the ditch? No, they are going to head to the same pond they have been laying eggs at the past several hundred years or more, and a lot of them are going to get hit by cars. In this scenario, all of the turtles being killed are breeding adults, and most species of turtle take several years to reach breeding age and have a low survival rate among their offspring. This exact problem is very serious in some areas, and special turtle underpasses have been created in some places with the funds to do so because of the huge impact cars were having on their population.

Also, people who go out of their way to harm animals are not satisfying some primal urge to hunt. Those individuals are seriously unbalanced and a danger to humans around them. If you look at every serial killer in history, they all started out abusing, mutilating, and killing animals before they worked their way up to people.

Sisuitl said:
I am also saying that killing reptiles and amphibians does have a significant impact on their populations.

When we plop a highway down right in the middle of a local turtle population's route to their breeding pond, what do you expect them to do during breeding season? Lay their eggs in the ditch? No, they are going to head to the same pond they have been laying eggs at the past several hundred years or more, and a lot of them are going to get hit by cars. In this scenario, all of the turtles being killed are breeding adults, and most species of turtle take several years to reach breeding age and have a low survival rate among their offspring. This exact problem is very serious in some areas, and special turtle underpasses have been created in some places with the funds to do so because of the huge impact cars were having on their population.

Good point and this raises an interesting topic. The question is how concerned do people really need to be about animal extinction/environmental conservation? Nobody wants to see beautiful animals disappear off the face of the earth, but it has happened in the past (ie dinosaurs). You can argue, well these animals died to natural causes, environmental conditions that were not caused by man. And I would say, but isn't man natural? Wasn't he created with the same earth any other animal was created? Hence, it seems to follow that man's actions on nature is as much a part of the circle of life as say a meteor. I don't believe man is above nature and therefore I would have to believe that no matter what man does to the earth, negative or positive, nature will balance it in some way (maybe by wiping us out with a meteor). The bottom line here is that nature is dynamic. Things live and die and no matter how much people try, you just can't perserve every little species you encounter. Furthermore, trying to perserve such things is only good for the observer, not the ones who are actually living.

Sisuitl said:
Also, people who go out of their way to harm animals are not satisfying some primal urge to hunt. Those individuals are seriously unbalanced and a danger to humans around them. If you look at every serial killer in history, they all started out abusing, mutilating, and killing animals before they worked their way up to people.

I find this to be more than slightly exaggarated. Is there really a psychological profile on every serial killer known in history and are these documents all readily available? And you've read all these? On the contrary, I think people who are going out of their way to hurt animals are weak more than anything else. Furthermore, we're not talking about animal abuse or mutilation. This thread started off with somebody running over a snake in a car. There is a complete disassociation between the killer and killed. There is no enjoyment in watching it suffer or seeing its guts hanging out of its body. This just a childish prank to kill something. I used to kill bugs and snails when I was a kid. I loved it. If I see a kid doing it, I would probably laugh it off. Afterall, that's what little boys do. This is obviously a person that never outgrew that. However, this is NOT about some golden retriever (which of course everyone would love) that needed an amputated leg because of daily abuse by some deranged lunatic. This is NOT about Ozzy Osbourne mutilating sheep on stage just for show. Let's keep some things in perspective.

yea i could never understand why people delibratly go outta there way to harm or kill something for no reason

"I used to kill bugs and snails when I was a kid. I loved it. If I see a kid doing it, I would probably laugh it off. Afterall, that's what little boys do."

Those were the little boys I used to beat up when I was a kid.

Last time I checked, this thread was about people's disgust over humans who deliberately run over animals with their cars. That constitutes animal abuse. Let's break this down to essentials here:

Running over an animal on purpose is a way for a human to find joy/fulfillment/power by dominating an animal they know cannot defend itself.

Lets substitute a few pronouns.

Raping another human is a way for a human to find joy/fulfillment/power by dominating someone who they know cannot defend themselves.

or

Beating a child is a way for a human to find joy/fulfillment/power by dominating someone who they know cannot defend themselves.

I should have worded it "most documented cases of serial killers" not "all serial killers in history" since not all serial killers are documented. All you need to do is a google search on animal cruelty and serial killers, you will find hundreds of cases in answer to your question. I will however, list some names of killers who admitted to or were found to have abused animals prior to humans.

Josef Stalin
Patrick Sherrill
Earl Kenneth Shriner
Brenda Spencer
Albert DeSalvo (The Boston Strangler)
Carroll Edward Cole
Jeffrey Dahmer
Kip Kinkel
Luke Woodham
Eric Harris and Dylan Klebold

If you think a child killing bugs and snails for the pure enjoyment of it is funny, you should take a look at this article. "Children Who Are Cruel to Animals: A Review of Research and Implications for Developmental Psychopathology." Anthrozoös, Vol. 6 (1993), by Frank Ascione.

Robert Ressler, head of the FBI's behavioral science unit said this about serial killers, "These are the kids who never learned it’s wrong to poke out a puppy’s eyes" (quote from the Washington Times, 23, Jan 1998 "Animal Cruelty may be a warning).

On an environmental note, while some people believe that humans will be just fine despite how many fisheries are depleted, how many forests are leveled for toilet paper and napkins, and species disapear, I think that it's to our benefit to be careful where we live and be mindful of those around us. While the earth seems to have recovered nicely in the past from mass extinctions, that's exactly what they were, mass extinctions. If we go on our merry way disregarding the effects we are having on our planet, turtles and rattlesnakes won't be the only things disappearing. Humans haven't really been around very long, and if we don't start exercising our superior brainpower we might not be around much longer.

Sisuitl said:
Running over an animal on purpose is a way for a human to find joy/fulfillment/power by dominating an animal they know cannot defend itself.

Lets substitute a few pronouns.

Raping another human is a way for a human to find joy/fulfillment/power by dominating someone who they know cannot defend themselves.

or

Beating a child is a way for a human to find joy/fulfillment/power by dominating someone who they know cannot defend themselves.

QUOTE]

a little harsh but yes, i see what he is saying...maybe even is the child was mental.i wouldn't laugh it off but id understand..id think of him as a $&%*ing brat..but I'd understand.

daufoi said:
This is NOT about Ozzy Osbourne mutilating sheep on stage just for show. Let's keep some things in perspective.

:-offtopic
Ozzy Osbourne does not mutilate sheep on stage for show. He has stated that he never knowingly harmed any animal, but yes he did bite the head off of a bat. At a concert people were throwing plastic bats on stage and he would bite the heads off, then someone threw a real bat up there and he didn't realize his mistake until it was too late.

This is similar to the rumor that Alice Cooper rips the heads off of chickens on stage. His version of the story is that someone threw a live chicken onto the stage, and being a city boy he thought that if he threw it into the air it would fly away. So he threw it into the air and it fell down to the crowd where it was ripped to shreds.

Yes lets keep things in perspective and stop exaggerating.

OK, sorry to the Ozbourne fans.

@Sisuitl

I don't see the relevance of the situations that were substituted for this one. How is raping someone similar to running over a snake? This is being taken to extreme measures. So extreme that, in my opinion, they are not the same thing as running over snake.

Running over an animal with your car and killing bugs and snails is not the same thing as poking a dog's eyes out. The former is childish, immature destruction, in some ways done out of primal instinct. The latter is pleasure from seeing something suffer, or maybe seeing the gore. It's on another level.

Furthermore, should we take ultmuttone's bullying also as a sign of deranged lunacy that will eventually lead him into the halls of the FBI's behavioral sciences? Is he not, in a way, torturing other school kids, causing them pain and grief?

Sisuitl said:
If we go on our merry way disregarding the effects we are having on our planet, turtles and rattlesnakes won't be the only things disappearing. Humans haven't really been around very long, and if we don't start exercising our superior brainpower we might not be around much longer.

This is what I mean when I say nature will balance it out. It's part of the cycle.

"Furthermore, should we take ultmuttone's bullying also as a sign of deranged lunacy that will eventually lead him into the halls of the FBI's behavioral sciences? Is he not, in a way, torturing other school kids, causing them pain and grief? "

First - I am not a him
Second- I was simply stating that even as a child I knew that such behavior was wrong. I don't think it was "bullying" for me to stand up and fight for these poor creatures that were unable to defend themselves against the inhumane treatment of these boys. And while you may see it as "boys will be boys", I see it as boys who have no consideration for anything but their own selfish indulgence. And I would hope that my girls would do the very same thing to any boy(or girl) who tried such behavior in their presence. Actually, I know they would.
Third- I am one of those people who will hold up traffic to move an animal out of the road-dog, cat,tortoise or snake. If you feel that is extreme-don't drive behind me.

Back