• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

The official Black Milksnake thread!!

classdwhite

Its about time my favorite type of snake had its own thread. If you own one lets see some photos! And info about how you keep them would be great too. For instance i keep mine at about 65% humidity and most owners say room temps in the low-mid 70s is fine with no heat needed, but i like to keep a warm spot of about 82deg for them to digest on. BTW black kings are not allowed! :nyah:

I had a ton of progession pics but my computer crashed and i lost most of them so here is a photo of my guy as a tri color and his dad, a 6' ish beauty, his mom was even bigger!

100_4422.jpg

blackmilksparent.jpg

Here is a recent but pretty bad pic. As you can see he (she?) don't remember which one i had out, but they are late '06s and are both about 4.5-5ft long.
100_4839.jpg

And their homes: 3'x2' melamine cages i made. Please excuse the pee/caca in the cages, i took these before i cleaned them.

100_4835.jpg

Nice!!! Lost most of my pics in a computer crash too... so I don't have anything on my new laptop. I'll try to get more pics of Shazam up too.

I keep him on the cooler side as well. 75 degree F warm spot and as low as room temp (about 68 degree F at the lowest right now) on the lower side. He's thriving and looks really good! His threads are here and here.

LOVE your setups! Gonna try to make something like that in a few weeks... IF I can find the right used furniture.

Here's a few pics of my girl, Gladys. She is an '05. She's probably around 4ft right now. She'll probably always be smaller than most Black Milks because for whatever reason, her breeder brumated her when she was still a hatchling. She was hatched in August 05, but that winter he put her into brumation with the adults. I think it stunted her growth. When I got her in October '06, she weighed 72g. Anyway, here's her pics.

agladyshand.jpg

cgladysjan08.jpg

Attachments

• gladys1.JPG
    gladys1.JPG
    90.3 KB · Views: 888
  • a Gladys bite.JPG
    a Gladys bite.JPG
    112.4 KB · Views: 892
  • egladyswater.JPG
    egladyswater.JPG
    175.7 KB · Views: 887
shes a beaut! and that pic of her latched onto your finger made me lol. i have never heard of a black milk biting before even in feeding mode, so you're the first.

Looking great so far keep em coming! As far as average size, id say between 5.5'-6.5' is about average with some ending up either a bit smaller or larger.

Here's the most recent pics of my 08 pair :)

Eclipse

eclipse.jpg

And Solstice

sol1.jpg

They are both growing like weeds and quickly eating me out of house and home. Definitely a joy to have around :D

I missed posting in this thread the last time, so since it's been bumped up, i'm going to respond! :)
I've got 1 Black Milk at the moment, and his name is Joakim. I'll be getting him a girlfriend later on this year from the same breeder that Joakim came from.
This is Joakim when I first got him in October of 08:
2969499163_72668c8df5_o.jpg

And this is him a week or so ago:
3388227811_7b30261bb9.jpg

He's a little over 6 months old now, and he's starting to get really dark. I suspect he'll be in his ugly duckling stage within a few more months. :)

I love black milks, this thread is an awesome idea! I really want one for myself sometime in the future... Is there any reason why they are kept on the cooler side? Would it be okay if I kept them at the same temps as my corns (usually 82-88F during the day and 70-80F during the night)?

i think they like cooler temps because they are found in high altitudes in mountains in Mexico. Keeping them at around 82-83 would be alright for them, but if they get too hot they could die. i believe that's how Jim's black milk died.. :(

Oh okay that makes sense... I will definitely keep that in mind for when I get one. Thank you :)

Back