• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Could my Snake be Dying???

If you can't afford a UTH and rheostat I assume you don't have atemp gun either-just an assumption. Without a temp gun you can't know the exact temps of your snakes cage period or the temps of a heated blanket which by the way is ment for humans with body temps of 98.6 degrees so whats not that hot to us will burn them. A small UTH is usually 10-15 bucks and a rheostat maybe 15-20. Why not ditch your non paying writing job and get a real job like most people that have monetary needs? How do you pay for your snake to eat, get new aspen, or what if it needed a vet? I know you think people are being harsh and while I and others could use more tact so could you before buying an animal you knew nothing about and giving it a less than ideal home- it works both ways you know.

When people blame ignorance and lack of money on the reason their animals are not cared for its just a tactless as someone telling you to get those poor snakes a better home:)

Well I don't know how old you are but babysitting is something I did and you can make a lot of money just by doing that. Also you could mow lawns. Those are some odd jobs you could do that don't require trying to apply for jobs in today's horrible economy.

Its electric...I can't even find it. I think my snakes will be fine without heat until winter. I will have a new blanket or something by then I am sure.
So how are you measuring their temperatures so you know they are ok without heat?

Your lack of time excuse is killing me. I have two children, a job, and go to grad school full time as well a attend an internship 20+ hours a week. You have time you just need to start acting like a grownup and figure something out. Waiting tables is great part time money by the way:)

Ha, how can I save up money if I don't have a job? Believe me, if I had time to have a job I would. I want one, but could only work about an hour one just a few days. I was thinking about selling one of my snakes so I can buy things for my other snakes, but I haven't decided yet.
If you can't afford to look after them properly, then how can you keep them at all? Quite frankly I'm disgusted that you can put your own selfish wants above the physical needs of an animal just because you want it as a pet.

Your lack of time excuse is killing me. I have two children, a job, and go to grad school full time as well a attend an internship 20+ hours a week. You have time you just need to start acting like a grownup and figure something out. Waiting tables is great part time money by the way:)

She has plenty of time to shoot turtles for target practice, and go deer hunting though......

I know all about being broke, I went for one year and six months with no work and I had no money to do anything, but if one of my snakes needed something believe me I found a way to get it even if it meant I had to sell something of mine. I managed and so can you. If you care enough about your pet that is. It's only a UTH, if you don't even have the money to get that how will you pay for a vet if it gets sick?
I don't care if I seem harsh. I'm not here to coddle anybody or say aww it's okay that you don't take good enough care of your snake because poor little you is so broke and inexperienced. Go without something else and do the right thing for your pet. I bet if you looked around there is something that you either spend money on and could skip for a while, or could get money for.

The one for sore muscles already has a switch for low/medium/high... the only problem is that it shuts off after 5 hours. That it better than nothing though.

No it's not. It is worse because they get too hot and are too unreliable for an even temperature. Do not use a heated blanket made for a human.

Ha, how can I save up money if I don't have a job? Believe me, if I had time to have a job I would. I want one, but could only work about an hour one just a few days. I was thinking about selling one of my snakes so I can buy things for my other snakes, but I haven't decided yet.

Get a job. Seriously. Do you actually expect us to believe that you work on school 24/7? Be responsible for your own pets, don't make your parents foot the bill. I have no idea how old you are. But if you are over 16 you need to be working. Sat nights you aren't doing class stuff I guarentee it.
If you have to sell something then do it. Sell some video games, a gun that you hunt turtles with, anything to provide the care that is your responsiblity. If you can't hold up to your end of the bargan in agreeing to care for these animals you NEED to give them up.
Offer to work for your parents if nothing else. Washing the car, mowing the grass...you can do any of those things and more.

I have also heard that you don't NEED to provide heat.

Also... just because I made some mistakes doesn't mean I should just give up and re-home my pets. I didn't know anything about snakes when I got them, and I am learning. If everyone gave away their snakes if they made a few mistakes, no one would have snakes. No one!

Now you know that you heard incorrect information. Stop dwelling on your ignorence of the past and make the changes you need not excuses.

Yes it does mean you should give them up if you can't correct those mistakes. Everyone does make mistakes. Lord knows I have. But I corrected them. If you don't correct a mistake with a child, Social Services takes that kid away.

I tried the dimmer thing and I cannot, for the life of me, make one of those. I had the detailed instructions and everything but I am TERRIBLE at all that. I have no clue what half the parts are or what they do ect...I'm hopeless when it comes to making one.

This just goes to prove you have never even tried. They are not a "kit" you put togeather. It's a little switch that comes all made and you just plug it in between your plug and the wall.

i laugh at you in seriousness. its either your parents have sheltered you way to much, or your a chronic liar.

when i was in high school on most nights i got an average of 3-5 hours of sleep. i worked 1 job of cook/disher/busser/waiter at a diner under the table since i was 13. i made over 150 just on a weekend. that was friday night, saturday mornings, and sunday mornings. only worked 20 hours im guess on weekends there. then when i was 17, i worked full time under the table until i turned 18 and i still worked the diner, and also pushed carts at the bjs wholesale club. i had a really nice car, i bought, a sulcatta was my only animal. and i was still in top 20 at school. on top of all that i still went out partying and getting drunk/smoking a bit of weed like a lot of highschoolers. not very good thing to say, but yeah, i was young and dumb. i still had my free time, hunted, fished, hiked, camped. still got my work done, still went to work at all jobs, and still graduated top 20, number 20 actually, lol. and if you say you have no time i feel bad for you. your young, you do not need much sleep at all. you act as though your 70 years old and so tired out that you have no time other than doing your school work, sleeping, and yourself. get off your butt and get a job and rough it. its fun, trust me. youll learn a lot about yourself.

Sat nights you aren't doing class stuff I guarentee it.

I am sitting in my dual-credit Algebra two class tutoring session...

es it does mean you should give them up if you can't correct those mistakes. Everyone does make mistakes. Lord knows I have. But I corrected them. If you don't correct a mistake with a child, Social Services takes that kid away.

I am trying my best to correct them... It's really hard attending high school AND college and my rigorous internship with the paper. Also, I have CHORES around the house, but I don't get paid for them. I do them everyday, or I get in trouble. I also have to take care of my younger sister's ALOT of the time...I really don't have enough time to get a job.

We live in a SUPER small town. We have two gas stations, a post office, hardware store and a school. Thats it... no joke. I can't get jobs at any of those places because they are all locally owned. I used to do odd jobs, but I can't find the time anymore.

hen i was in high school on most nights i got an average of 3-5 hours of sleep

I can't AFFORD to do that. I would never pass my college courses along with my honors program courses in high school PLUS internship, community activities, and taking care of my family. I have a very rigorous schedule. And I do need sleep, or I would not be able to concentrate and pass my classes. Plus, my parents would NEVER allow me to work a late job OR take a job on Sunday. Ever.

I know I sound lazy, but I have a very busy life, live 20 minutes down a dirt road with VERY little job opportunities... I am trying my best, which is why I posted this. To get some ideas... not to get flamed because I am poor and can't afford nice things like an adult can.

Here is my schedule (roughly)

Monday: Stay at school until 3:30. Tutor english students until 5:30. Pick up sisters from babysitter at 6:00. Bring them home, cook supper and do chores until 7:30. Mom gets home at about 8:00 (depends). I study until about 9:00 or 10:00 depending on how much homework I have. Bed at 10:00-11:00

Tuesday: Same song and dance

Wednesday: School until 3:30. Tutoring until 5:00. Church from 5:30-6:30. Youth leadership team from 6:30-7:30. Home at 8:30. Homework until 9:30 or 10. Depends. Almost ALL nights I will have some homework from either high school, college or both.

Thursday. School until 3:30. No tutoring, but I have to pick up my sisters at 4:00. Chores and supper and babysitting until 5:30. 6:00, report to the newspaper office and meet with my editor. Brainstorm paper ideas. I usually get home about 8:00. Homework until 9:00-10:00.

Friday: School until 3:30. No tutoring, but I have FFA or FCCLA meetings every friday at 4:30-5:30. Pick up my sisters at 6:00. Do chores and wait for mom to get home. She gets home ABOUT 7:30 each night. Study from 8:00-9 or 10. Sleepy time.

Saturday: 6:00 am: Report to work at the paper (internship) I stay until about 4:30. At 5:30 I have tutoring sessions for my algebra class (I get tutored) from 5:30-7:00. I go home and get there about 7:30/45. I do homework since I usually have TONS over the weekend. Get finished around 8:30-9:00.

Sunday: We are not allowed to do much for religious reasons. Thats why I can;t get a job, or do homework on sunday.

Waiting tables is great part time money by the way
We have no restaurants... literally, you guys don't understand how FAR away from any town I live.

I like FAR FAR FAR down a dirt road, which is about 15 minutes from Spurg (with only two gas stations, post office, school and hardware store.) Its about ant hour to the nearest real restaurant... another two to the big city.

I'm not trying to sound mean at all, but why did you get 3 snakes with such a busy schedule and no way to financially take care of them?

I wanted a snake for 2 years before I got one. Now that i'm financially capable, i'm getting more. However, I am living within my means, and not overextending myself.
The best thing for your snakes, in my opinion, would be to either cut down on your busy schedule or rehome them.

I just want to be clear that i'm not trying to bash you. I just want to see what's best for your snakes. Maybe when you're out on your own, you can try to get snakes again. :)

I'm not trying to sound mean at all, but why did you get 3 snakes with such a busy schedule and no way to financially take care of them?

I wanted a snake for 2 years before I got one. Now that i'm financially capable, i'm getting more. However, I am living within my means, and not overextending myself.
The best thing for your snakes, in my opinion, would be to either cut down on your busy schedule or rehome them.

I just want to be clear that i'm not trying to bash you. I just want to see what's best for your snakes. Maybe when you're out on your own, you can try to get snakes again.

My snakes are fine. Our house temps are fine for them. Many people supply their snake with no heat. In the winter, I plan to talk to my parents about some extra money, but until then I cannot provide anything extra for them. I can feed them just fine and take good care of them. Our house temps and the pure texas heat is fine FOR NOW.

Also, I can't cut down. IDK where I could...

I don't want to kill anyone David I promise. Emily from the way it sounds your schedule and inability to find a job is the reason getting a snake later in life would have been a better ideal. I was your age and wanted a literal zoo that I now finally have, but at that age couldn't have afforded so I went without a lot of the cool animals I wanted knowing better.

I know you feel attacked, but as you now know this is a passionate forum where people go out of their way to give their animals the best care. When we hear people say I'm too busy, too poor, and didn't know better we want to smash our heads against the wall and scream "then why take on a living responsibility"? You have to step outside for a moment and look in. If it were a young mother who provided the bare minimum skimping the necssities when it came to her kids you may have a similar view and owning an animal is no different.

You got snakes because you really like them and thats something everyone here has in common and can relate to. However, you took on a life and ALL the responsibilities that go with it. If at any time one is in the position where they know they can not meet an animals needs most would rehome the animal its the ethical and mature decision. When you are done with school and employed you will be able to do your research, pick that perfect pet, and provide for it. Now may not be the time:(

Many do keep corns with no heat though they do manipulate room temps to accomplish proper temps and even so one corn isn't like the other. I have one who NEVER uses his heat at all including after eating though the rest do. I have heard people on her say some of their corns regurge at temps barely over 80 but most don't. While your other two snakes are seemingly doing well without heat this could change, and obviously one is telling you something is off. You described his symptoms and set-up and we said provide heat. Instead of saying okay will do when the funds come in you say but corns don't need heat an expert told me so, its too expensive, I have no time to work, and will a heat mat for humans do for now. Responses like this get you flamed because they show your lack of research and inability to provide adequate housing. They spark more important questions about your ability to keep a clean cage, buy food, and seek medical care if your corn is injured or sick- and these are the things that set off snippy remarks. A good bit of advice I was given over and over at your age because I too had tactless big mouth "Its never what you say, but how you say it":)

Emily I got 40 foot of heat cable from zoo med for 40 bucks! I used it to heat my entire rack to prime colubrid temps. I just put the snakes that need more heat up top and that adds more heat. Hope this helps.
:)

Back