• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Getting tired of it...

Checkerbelly said:
I'm tired of people referring to these "greats".

I get your sarcasm :)
My enthusiasm has faded as well. I have been quite busy and during winter the snakes slow and so has my attentiveness to them. When egg season starts here in my neck o da woods I am sure my contact on the board will pick up again.

I am not a great but I know greats and have been near their greatness LOL. They are people... no need to be jealous or envious of the title put on them by others.

Jazz,
you need to be taken out back and beaten by her.. not me.
pom5.jpg

tricksterpup said:
Jazz,
you need to be taken out back and beaten by her.. not me.
I used to pay good
money for that and I tell
ya, it hurt so good.

:sidestep:

regards,
jazz

JM :o) said:
Okay~ this thread started off pretty interesting~ and I wanted to say something......but the truth is I got bored several pages back and jumped to the end. I very rarely have anything to say here anymore~ so I'm just gonna chime right in~ someone may have already said this...

IT'S JANUARY

Yep~
It's January. Very few cornsnakes are breeding, very few if any cornsnakes are hatching. It's a just the down time of year. All there really is to talk about right now is hobbyist stuff, and when your bored with that....well then to bicker with each other! There are just not that many interesting things going on in the Cornsnake world in JANUARY.

!

Its funny Cheryl, I posted a reply before I read the thread then started to read it... skipped here to PAGE 11 saw your post and laughed!!! I did the same exact thing!!!

jazzgeek said:
As an example, I've expanded my collection to nineteen corns and one king since I got my first snake in August of 2004. My pockets aren't very deep, so it made sense to move to plastic tubs instead of glass tanks. My hatchlings and yearlings are kept in 12 quart Sterlite tubs, but (GASP!!!!) I provide a hide on the warm side only....I've found that my charges are doing just fine burrowing into the aspen on the cool side.
It's jsut sankes. :cheers:

regards,
jazz
This was the reference
that I was quoting you from.
Post 111

It wasn't a slight.
Just a joke, made in good fun.
Wasn't personal

Interesting thread, not quite sure how I missed it for 7 days though.

I really don't have much to offer, other than it's January and nobody is doing much of anything. My snakes just came up 3 weeks ago from brumation so I have nothing of much interest to post. Combine that with working a lot and I just don't have tons of time to spend online.

I will agree, though, that this forum has definitely changed. I think once breedings start occuring and eggs start getting laid, you'll see a change back in the direction of 'breeders'.

Yeah, I think I should have found this thread 5 days ago.

But let me respond to some perceived issues and concerns brought up back then.

(1) Newbies asking questions that could maybe be answered via the SEARCH function seems to be a hot topic. I think a LOT of people are forgetting what it is like to be new at something. New in the sense that not everything is understood as far as syntax, protocol, and terminology. Yes, in the hindsight of experience it is easy to know what keywords to use for a search that would get the best results the quickest, but this is not quite so easy when you just got your first corn snake and know NOTHING at all about this stuff. You don't even know what KIND it is! How can you search for "Anerythristic" or "Amelanistic" (it sounded something like that when the pet shop guy sold it to you) when you have no idea those words even exists, much less able to spell them? I remember years ago when Connie and I bought a new plant at a nursery and on the way home I asked here what kind it is. She didn't remember but thought the woman said "Bingle Dingle". Now imagine me coming home and getting on a horticultural website trying to find THAT term! How long would it take me to discover that what the woman at the nursery REALLY said was "Vinca Vine"?

Personally, I have had the opportunity to get involved in topics of interest lately where I am a COMPLETELY "wet behind the ears" newbie. I register on a site that may have 75,000 members and a couple of MILLION posts on it. And I have some questions about my new interest. But hell, where do I start? I've been reading posts until I am cross-eyed, but the topic matter is so broad and the number of posts so overwhelming, that I just give up and POST my question. Yeah, it's a basic newbie question to THEM, but not to me, and I really would like to know the answer. Now I will tell you this, nothing is more irritating and frustrating to then get some smart ass post a reply Use the search..... Quite frankly, it is just damned rude to do that, in my humble opinion. It's like a virtual slap in the face, and I think anyone who wants to do that to someone really should put themselves on the receiving end to see how THEY like it. In my case, I don't require a long drawn out explanation or someone to produce a link to me, but quite honestly, I would be very grateful for the HELP I came there searching for. Excuse me, but I thought that was what a DISCUSSION FORUM is for. And quite frankly, any forum members that treated me that way basically chased me AWAY from that site. Maybe it was only one or three members there, but for all intents and purposes, THEY were that forum to me. And that didn't leave a favorable impression on me at all.

So am I wrong in thinking that someone treated that way HERE, would likely feel the same way I did under similar circumstances?

(2) The change in attitude and flow of this forum was commented on several times here. And the "between the lines" I was reading was perhaps that something SHOULD be done about it. And what would that be? Strict moderation? Someone to lord over such discussions? Which from what I also gleaned from this thread were often heated opinions about protocols and personal techniques in husbandry. So moderation in that sort of case would have to be someone choosing which protocol was "correct" in relation to one or more others? Well I would hope that is not the case. Differences in opinions are just part and parcel on any message board system. Yes, you can have a very tightly controlled environment with moderators sitting reading and filtering your posts almost as you are typing them, but excuse me if my memory is faulty, but from what I can remember, a LOT of people came to this site specifically to escape that sort of close scrutiny and overbearing moderation elsewhere. If I am to make mistakes here, I think I would prefer to be TOO lenient rather than not enough freedom for the members here. That does produce the danger that the bed you make may not be fit for anyone at all to sleep in, but really, do you all want to sleep in the bed that I specify for you?

(3) Back when I originally set up this site, I too had the thought of creating an "elite" or "advanced" forum that would be by invite only, and restricted to those members where "we" ("greats" and all) could discuss these advanced topics by excluding all the distractions of those lesser members (yes, there would have to be a dividing line somewhere) butting in. But the longer and harder I thought about it, I just could not figure out how such a thing could possibly work. How do you judge? Experience level based on what? Time doing this sort of thing? Number of animals you are working with? Book based learning with actual in depth hands on experience? Or varying levels of all those factors combined with the toss of a coin? Who in the world would want to have a website that would create an automatic division (chock full of resentment, no less) between the members like that? Who would want to have to be the person telling some member "Sorry, but no, you are not GOOD enough to become part of this "elite" forum." How could anyone even come up with some reasonable criteria in order to make that division? Every criteria I could come up with would have exceptions, which meant that somewhere down the line, there were going to be a bunch of pissed off people on the site feeling that they had been shunned for being not worthy of the attention of that "elite" crowd. So I canned that idea completely as unworkable and downright silly in a public environment like a message board system. Maybe someone else has figured out how to do it properly, in which case, more power to you in that endeavor.

(4) There was mention of the "chat room fiasco" as well. I guess I need to read that thread beginning to end again when I have more time, but my recollection of it was something that I really had no choice in doing. The chat room had obviously gotten WAY out of hand, and from the chat logs being sent to me, there were some people (yes, even some of the "greats") who just acted in a manner that I felt was just not APPROPRIATE on this site. If that did, in fact, precipitate those people leaving because of my stance on that issue, then they in fact laid down the rules as my taking their side or they were taking the highway. Of course I didn't realize at the onset that this was the case, but even if I had, my stance could not have changed. If my choice had been, either that sort of behavior from those "greats" would have to be tolerated, or they were going to go off and create their own forum, I would STILL have no choice but to chose the stance I did.

But for what it is worth, I am sorry that I allowed it to get to that point, and I am not really certain how long it was progressing to the boiling point before the top blew off. Quite frankly, at the time the lid blew, which was early September, the months prior to that were pretty much insanely busy with my own animals, and I certainly would not have had monitoring the chat room even on my priority list, much less anywhere near the top of it. So yeah, if I have to take the blame for having too many irons in the fire, then I will take my lumps for that. All I will say is that I tried to be my best with it. Not good enough, obviously, but that is a hindsight thing. I did have a moderator assigned to the chat room, and when people did send me chat logs, I did look them over and took what steps seemed appropriate, even banning several members who obviously needed that to happen to then from the evidence I was presented. I never asked anyone any questions or tried to verify the info, I just did what seemed expedient to fix THAT problem.

But obviously, that was not enough, and I do apologize to everyone that I allowed that to impact this site in the manner that it has. And quite certainly as I found members arguing with me about my stance within that thread, I am sure I got very short of patience with it all, and probably got quite upset with some of the people there who appeared to be justifying that behavior. Well they apparently had their reasons, but I was going SOLELY on the evidence I had in front of me, just as I had in the past. So to be blunt about it, I just was not willing to accept their arguments. Was that wrong of me? Maybe so, but that's the way it went.

That was the week we were preparing to go to the Mid Atlantic Show, if I remember correctly, and to say I was busy with animals would be a world class understatement. Quite frankly, I really didn't have time for an issue like that in which I TRULY thought that my simply posting that I wanted that sort of behavior to end in the chat room would simply have opened the eyes of EVERYONE involved to see what they looked like when looking in the mirror at themselves. I felt that simply pointing out that two wrongs don't make a right should have been sufficiently persuasive.......... Duh.....

Anyway, I'm sure there are other points I should touch on within this post, but the eyes are getting tired, and the mind is beginning to dull.

Sorry if I messed up the string of Haiku's, btw........ :rolleyes:

I didn't read through this whole thread, but I wanted to comment on the original topic (it appears have to gone off the beaten path)...

I think it was a very immature attitude shown how some individuals "took there ball and went home." Anyone else notice that a few of the personal forums have migrated to "the other cornsnake forum"? There are plenty of other reptile sites out there, and many have tried and failed. Cornsnakes.com & Faunaclassifieds.com have been around for years.

You know what though? I think the members who have remained and plan on continuing with the support of this forum will still make this place strong and a pleasent place to be at. I will honestly say that I have not seen the aggression that some spoke of, but I hope it stops and we can continue with the usual Cornsnakes.com atmosphere.

Rich Z said:
And the "between the lines" I was reading was perhaps that something SHOULD be done about it. And what would that be?
I didn't get that impression. Members have different ideas about what this place should be, and the only ways to influence its direction are to post your opinions and to participate as you see fit. I don't think that the members who expressed their opinions were looking for your intervention. I certainly wasn't.

blckkat said:
I think it was a very immature attitude shown how some individuals "took there ball and went home." Anyone else notice that a few of the personal forums have migrated to "the other cornsnake forum"? There are plenty of other reptile sites out there, and many have tried and failed. Cornsnakes.com & Faunaclassifieds.com have been around for years.
I wonder if the members at kingsnake.com felt the same way about the members who "defected" to this place years ago (a number of them are the same individuals you cite here). I have nothing against this place or Fauna, but longevity isn't an indicator of quality or righteousness. The Klan's been around for a long time too.

i also havent read through the whole thread, all i can say is being a nooby here can be hard when your just told to search, now i'am not so much of a nooby here, well i'am but ive bee around about a month now.. i think once you show a mature side you are welcomed alot more here, so all i can say to all those new members is, from the start be mature, i wasent and i paid by getting banned, my "i'm truly sorry" thread was the one that made me welcome really i think, ive had alot of comments on my maturity within that thread! so Gl to all you newcomers just be yourself but be mature aswell, and even though somtimes i forget, use the search and the spellchecke : P

PcS

Read the complete thread
You could be embarrassed if
You ignore this "rule"

Much to the horror
Of someone who skipped right through-
Vital info missed

Nanci

The result can be
Damaging to say the least
I have seen firsthand.

It is an old thread
One that I had started here
To give an update.

All is forgiven
As mistakes are surely made
But please read stuff first.

Some posts help us learn
While some may not add too much
Know what your saying.

galen

Picked up their ball LOL
Thats the best way to describe
What really happened

The real joke is that
They flocked to "adult" forum
Sadly run by kids!

I stay devotee
To CS. Change there may be
But I paid $25

Who is "left behind"?
None that I can see, only
Friends with great advice

And knowledge for the
Many new members that joined
We will try our best.

Thanks Rich for CS
Theres no better example
Of a much loved site!

blckkat said:

I was not going to get involved with this thread at all, but I do feel that calling folks immature because they have decided to participate on a 'few forums' isn't really fair.

I have a personal forum on both sites...and I see others do too. What's wrong with supporting both sites? Does the fact that I choose to spend my Canadian dollars not only here, but there make me immature.

I also support ReptilesCanada, The Manitoba Herp Society, and The Alberta Reptile and Amphibian Society forums.

Last I checked, 'free choice' wasn't on the chopping block. Folks will go to where they feel comfortable, where they can obtain the answers they are searching for, and also where they feel they can participate in comraderie with other members. Whether that be here, there, or wherever.

You know, it kind of reminds me of having a long time friend, one you may share years of comraderie with...then, for whatever reason, you find that the two of you have drifted apart. Perhaps you began to feel stagnant in the relationship, perhaps you've met others who held your interest more, perhaps you realized you've changed and the things your old friend and you shared just aren't as important as they once were...for what ever reason, you just don't see your old friend as much. Does that make you immature?

Yes, your old friend may feel slighted, but chances are, they have grown too...with new interests, with new folks in their life to take your place. They've moved on with their lives too...if they haven't then it's their problem really, not yours.

As humans, we are 'kinetic' individuals, whether that be physically, emotionally, or intellectually. We all crave stimuli in our lives; otherwise we would curl up and become recluses. When something in our lives that was once a stimulation for us and no longer is, we will search out something to take it's place.

We'll never forget the friendship from the past, it just doesn't hold as much 'pull' as before.

I don't think that's immaturity, I think that's growth.

Just my .02, and that's Canadian, so maybe it's not worth anything at all.... :)

Ruth

Back