• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

DAYTONA 2010 OFFICIAL THREAD

Carol, as far as I know, we are still sharing a room :D . I think Suzy was talking about another person too? So there might be 4 of us? IDK all the details, but I am definitely going!

Carol, as far as I know, we are still sharing a room :D . I think Suzy was talking about another person too? So there might be 4 of us? IDK all the details, but I am definitely going!

Thanks Angela, you saved me a PM. OK, so as long as you are a definite, we'll plan on you and I for sure. Suzy is still a probably but it would great if she made it too, and if we end up with 4 we'll manage. :)

Super, so Kathy it looks like you can still offer up a vacant room spot. Thanks for offering though!

Carol,

YES! If you (or anyone else) sells ANY live animals in Florida, BE SURE to get the $50 seller's permit. They are very serious about checking, and have taken out of state sellers to jail for not having it!

You can apply online. I believe it is "myfwc" - not sure if it is .gov or some other extension, but you can Google it.

YES! If you (or anyone else) sells ANY live animals in Florida, BE SURE to get the $50 seller's permit. They are very serious about checking, and have taken out of state sellers to jail for not having it!

You can apply online. I believe it is "myfwc" - not sure if it is .gov or some other extension, but you can Google it.

Thanks Kathy!

I second this...I've seen them hauled away too!

They don't care about other states, just Florida.

I believe it is called a license to exhibit or sell. I am out of town right now, so can't go check mine to see exactly what it is called. But it was $50 last time I renewed.

Kathy, I know Wayne mentioned that the licensing info is in the packet he sends out for a new registrant to get a table when I talked to him last year about potentially getting one. He also said that there's "technically" no table sharing, but that the person running the table is the sole person responsible for all animals on the table, no matter who they really happen to be produced by.

Do they check to see if you have one in your local state as well, or do they just check for Florida?

They have only ever asked me for the FL one...but EVERY year they ask at least once. Once time I wasn't at the table and my wife had to call me to get me to the table because my name is the one on the permit.

Which brings me to the following...

Kathy, I know Wayne mentioned that the licensing info is in the packet he sends out for a new registrant to get a table when I talked to him last year about potentially getting one. He also said that there's "technically" no table sharing, but that the person running the table is the sole person responsible for all animals on the table, no matter who they really happen to be produced by.

Yeah, sharing a table can be tricky. It is best that all parties involved have the permit or that one person has the permit and "owns" everything on the table.

Depending upon the officer, they can get really picky. They occasionally ask to see breeding records to prove you didn't buy them. And if you did buy them, they want to see the permit # of the person you bought them from. In reality, the hatch date is generally enough - as if you couldn't make one up if you wanted to! They asked me for breeding records one time. I said I didn't bring them with me. But since the hatch date was on each cup, that seemed to make them happy.

There have been cases of an employee or friend working at a table, and also bringing a few animals to sell there. If they didn't have THEIR OWN permit, they got fines, or hauled to jail if a non-resident. It is pretty ridiculous. They should just sell the permits on the spot, maybe even at a higher price if you didn't get it ahead of time. But if you take anything to sell for any friends, just make sure they are YOUR animals, at least while in Florida. You can always give them back again once you get home, if they don't sell. And to play it safe, just record a hatch date and name of parents, in case they ask. Better safe than sorry.

I wish I could say I'm surprised by all this, there's some really cool FWC officer's but there's some that wouldn't bat an eye to throw their own mother in jail. Lately though most of the one's I've ran across lately whether in the woods or on the water (not in a commercial situation) have been extremely strict this year, I believe upper management is coming down on them or at least thats what I've heard through the grapevine. Several friends of mine were harassed this year during gator season and just last week my airboat got searched simply because the officer didn't believe we were catching legal bass, boy was he disappointed. So from the aspect of a person that interacts with FWC LEO's on a weekly basis make sure you have all your ducks in a row this year.

This is so confusing.

E. Class III Wildlife

A permit is required for personal possession, exhibition or sale of Class III wildlife. Class III wildlife are all species not listed as Class I or Class II; and not among those species that are specifically listed as not requiring a permit for personal possession.

Wildlife Not Requiring a Permit

The following species do not require a permit for personal possession as long as no other Rule or Statute applies. Examples include, but are not limited to, rules for Threatened or Endangered Species:

1. Reptiles, amphibians (nonvenomous native species that are not listed as endangered, threatened, species of special concern, or otherwise regulated; nonvenomous nonnative species not listed as Reptiles of Concern)

What are cornsnakes? Not I or II, and seem to fall under 1. in Wildlife Not Requiring a Permit.

What are cornsnakes? Not I or II, and seem to fall under 1. in Wildlife Not Requiring a Permit.

Thats what confuses me when it comes to y'all being required to have a permit to sell them because I know for a fact that corns, kings, balls, etc. fall under "Wildlife that do not require a permit"

It appears that you definitely need a permit to sell any snake in Florida:

Breeding, exhibiting and selling snakes, turtles and other reptiles.

Question

I want to breed, exhibit and/or sell snakes, turtles or reptiles. What licenses or permits do I need?

Answer

To breed and sell snakes, turtles and other reptiles in Florida, you will need a License to Possess Class III Wildlife for Exhibition and/or Public Sale. The application fee is $50 and must be mailed with a check or money order. There is a three to four week processing period.

These applications and more information are available on the Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission website at http://myfwc.com/RULESANDREGS/Rules_Captive_index.htm

So when you apply for the license, there's a thing saying you have to attach your disaster plan. Mine is: put snakes in bags in feeding bins and drive like hell.

Correct...

There are many species you don't need a permit to possess, or to just to buy. BUT - if you want to sell ANY of them, you do need that permit to sell or exhibit Class III animals.

Joe, you always have the greatest links. I like Sal. typhi and Helicobacter.

This is my first post in any Daytona thread ever.

Baton Rouge to Daytona, driving = 691 miles (about 11 hours 18 mins).

Whoowee, you have at it buddy! I drove last year and my beehine still hurts from it! Give me Delta or give me Death! I'll see you all there again this year!

Back