• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

New tracking db app

Duff

I've been slowly working on a new herp tracking program for the last several months (when I've had time, which isn't always much), and believe I am just about ready to start beta testing it. Just wanted to throw up a few screenshots and see what people think about the layout and main window setup. Basically, it's organized around racks, so you can set everyone up according to where they actually live. If you setup desired feeding intervals, you will also get a feed warning report popup when starting the program (can also call it manually anytime you want). Very easy to move things around and add/delete racks, so very adaptable to future changes. I've also added a progeny calculator to make it easy to plan for future breedings with any of your current animals. No need to manually select all the genes, just pick their name out of the list. Or pick by morph to select all genes at once. There's some reporting and other things that all these programs have. My reasons for writing it are... a) I'm a glutton for punishment, so figured what better way to self-inflict pain than coding for free (haha)... b) I'm cheap, so why pay for something I can do myself ( :rolleyes: )... and c) every other program I've tried/used has always had something I didn't like about it or been too buggy for my tastes. So anyway, just sharing now that I almost have something worth sharing. And if anyone would be interested in helping me beta test this beast, just PM me. I've found a few new bugs this morning, but mostly minor ones, so hoping to have them worked out in a week or so (depending on time), and then should be ready for some real banging. Thanks for looking :cheers:

Just want to add that I'm not looking to sell this if it gets to final stage, it'll be freeware, so this isn't an attempt to start a new income stream or anything.

Attachments

• AppMain.jpg
    AppMain.jpg
    133.2 KB · Views: 313
  • CalcTool.jpg
    CalcTool.jpg
    155.6 KB · Views: 311
  • NeedFeed.jpg
    NeedFeed.jpg
    88.5 KB · Views: 309
Looks cool! I'm using Degei right now, and pretty much like it. I'd beta test for you.

Nanci

I like the way you can see all of your adults, sub-adults, hatchlings and "singles" with the click of a tab. Very thoughtful and useful.

I also like that you haven't in any way(aparrently) limited it to cornsnakes only, since I can see two BPs right there.

I think it will be a great program, and if it is more stable than the current software I am using, it will be priceless. I'm getting sick of losing data everytime I close the program...Some of my snakes ahve only been owned for 2 weeks, according to my tracking software...and I've had them for several months...

Herp Care lost data on me. Sometimes I feel like Degei does, too, but then I wonder if I just forgot to enter it...At least Degei lets you archive. I always write on a calendar- to plan feedings, etc., since some are on five days and some are on seven days. So I always have hard copy back up. I like being able to print a history for the vet. It'd also be useful when selling an animal.

Nanci

Give me a link to that! Ill beta test this in a heartbeat. Im looking for something better then then Herp Care, I don't like the option of certain food items when im dealing with just snakes.

I program a bit myself, and I think it looks great! Add me to the list of beta-testers, if you please. :) :) :)

This is awesome Duff. PJ uses Free Herp and she is religous about her record keeping. We would very much like to try this. Could you please send us a copy and we will test it for you and give feedback and maybe suggestions on what you may be able to add to it. Great Idea! :cool: :cool: :cool:
Jay & PJ :cool:

For those that want to play around with this and are willing to work with beta software, the first candidate is up and available for download. Hopefully there won't be any big bugs popping up, but just to be safe, I would continue to save any exisiting data you have recorded elsewhere. If you come up with any bugs or suggestions, you can send them via email to [email protected]. Looking forward to your input and thanks again to anyone who helps out.

Here's the url to download the file. It's Java based, so should run on anything. If you have a MAC or Linux based machine you'd like to try it on, the installer is Windows based, so just let me know and I can send you just the Java jar file that the app actually runs from.

http://www.savagecorns.com/utils/scerpdb-inst.exe

Hi Duff,
I just tried to install this and I had the follwing error occur...............

The Setup is about to be interrupted because of the following reason: The JRE setup has been abnormally interrupted.

Can you help me with this issue.
Jay :cool:

PJCReptiles said:
Hi Duff,
I just tried to install this and I had the follwing error occur...............

The Setup is about to be interrupted because of the following reason: The JRE setup has been abnormally interrupted.

Can you help me with this issue.
Never saw that come up before, so I'll have to look into it. I believe you should be able to get around it by manually installing Sun's JRE 1.6 and then run the installation again. The install script is supposed to install that if needed, but looks like there's a problem with that on your pc. You can get the Windows jre directly from Sun at: http://java.com/en/download/windows_ie.jsp?locale=en&host=java.com

Duff this thing rocks. I've always disliked how the other freeware doesn't have all the features (like breeding records) unless you pay. The progeny calculator is a great thing too! Now I just have to get my notebook and put everything in from the past year... :bang: that's ok, it'll be worth it to have everything on the computer again. Thanks a bunch!

~Katie

Duff,
The Java Patch worked! THIS THING ROCKS!!!!!! I like that you can add Species, Morphs, Genetics and the Feeder Inventory option is an excellent feature. You should be very proud of yourself for this contribution to the members of this community. Very Cool, You Kick Ass! :cool: :cool: :cool:

Thanks for the good words, all. I am kinda proud of it so far, but also know there's room for improvements and tweaks here and there.

I'll have to check out what's up with that installer error and post back when it's fixed (hopefully in the next day or 2).

Duff said:
Thanks for the good words, all. I am kinda proud of it so far, but also know there's room for improvements and tweaks here and there.

I'll have to check out what's up with that installer error and post back when it's fixed (hopefully in the next day or 2).

Basically all the error is, is that you don't have the "latest" version of Java. A quick update on the users end fixes the porblem asap. :cool:

I love this program, when are you gonna start taking donations?

Only thing is, adding pictures, when I add one..it doesnt open a browse window to look for the picture. How would I go about adding it?

Fenderplayer108 said:
I love this program, when are you gonna start taking donations?

Absolutely! When you finish the final version we would be more then happy to purchase a copy. Again, GREAT WORK! :cheers:

Fenderplayer108 said:
Only thing is, adding pictures, when I add one..it doesnt open a browse window to look for the picture. How would I go about adding it?

All you have to do is double click in the field box provided and it will bring up a browse window. ;) Took me a minute to figure it out too. :bang:

The installer problem with the jre installation should be fixed now. Just uploaded the fixed installer for anyone that's interested. No program updates, just the installer fixed.

And thanks for the offers of donations. Since the question's been asked, I'll set that up once things have been running for a bit and I'm more comfortable with it all. Glad it's off to a good start so far.

Probably should've set this up initially, but I did finally get around to updating my site for access to the files and updates for this program. I made a couple fixes already, so anyone using this app might want to check out the updates: http://www.savagecorns.com/utils.htm

Back