• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Building your own rack system

Cav...

Really appreciate all the time and effort you've put into the posts on racks.
The info you and some others have provided, allowed me to build dimmers, wire Flexwatt and build one rack.

I'm looking to build a hatchling rack now and find your info most helpful <smile>.

Thanks much...Mike Palmerio

This is a wonderful thread and helps out a lot. I will be starting on some racks of my own, and now I will know where to start. Thanks for this.

Alright, i was reading rich's post about not having to use heat tape. I know he's down there in the hurricane....i mean sunshine state (knock on wood, hope ivan weakens before it hits). Anywho, Because i have a single room for my snakes, i'm wondering would it be easier just to control the temperature of the room for when i build my rack. Instead of having the high/low side, just have the room at a middle of the road kind of temperature.

Just in case, when i was gonna attatch the peg board w/ screws and leave a small gap in the back to allow for heat tape, in case it doesnt work. Any thoughts? Oh yeah, i'm NC btw so it's doesnt get quite as cold as maryland but it's not exactly florida either.

You can keep the entire room at a set temp. No harm in that unless the temps fluctuate frequently. Are you planning on keeping the entire room at 80ish through the entire winter or are you going to brumate? I’d think keeping the room at normal temps wouldn't be too cost effective in your neck of the woods.

i was gonna attatch the peg board w/ screws and leave a small gap in the back to allow for heat tape, in case it doesnt work. Any thoughts?

Not necessary if you are going to use the ventilated pegboard.

Well i was gonna do it by using a space heater and a fan. The room in question is small, and i'm in a duplex appt so it's not like heating a big house or something. But i see what you mean. To say that i'm not ur "handy-man" type is an understatement so a lot of the wiring ?'s that i was reading and the answers went over my head.

So it's ok to have the pegboard up against the heat-tape? no fire hazzard

Also, where can helix thermostats and the flexwatt be found? or should i just go ahead and order that off the net? Cav, man ur patience and cooperation w/ my questions along with everyone elses is greatly appreciated. Thanks again

Glad the thread was beneficial.

There are several places to purchase flexwatt and Helix units. I won't hesitate for a second to recommend The Bean Farm. They are a top notch, one stop shop. FWIW, you can buy the wire and other parts at Home Depot or Lowe's for much less tha reptile specific vendors. ;)

I hope this isn't confusing

So Pirate55 said:
Quick Question. Which side of the flexwatt do you face toward the bins?(solid black or the side with the copper)

Doen't matter if the metal strips are facing in or out. The only thing you need to make sure of is that the strips run in the same direction serially. (Use the direction of the flexwatt's black lines as your guide.) It should look something like this:

<<<<<<<<<<<<
[
>>>>>>>>>>>>-------[=

< or > is the direction of the tape, and [ or -----[= indicates wiring and plug end.

Up And Running!

finally i've got everything running and i'm gonna give it a night or 2 to get everything settled so i can get my temps just right before moving the little ones in. 10 adult/20 hatchlings on this rack. Nothing special but i'm excited to see it work. :dancer:

post some pics...everybody does things just a little bit different! I like to see other peoples racks.

Good luck,
Quigs

alright, i'll try to get pictures up asap. It's rough looking and by no means "furniture quality" but it's sturdy and get's the job done.

Special thanks goes out to cav for answering my questions, even the those that seemed common sense. I'm sure my snakes will appreciate it.

Total cost: $275 including thermostat, 17' of flexwatt, a few tools, and materials. I'm guessing that i could build another one for $200

working great. I dont get to see them as much as i did when they were in the viv but climates are much easier to control. It feels nice not having to worry about temperatures.

Still no digi cam, but maybe after the next paycheck.

Hey Cav, I've read the whole post, and I am still a little confused as to how you suggest setting up the heattape...

I've only ever used under tank heaters with rheostats... So I'm not even sure how heat tape works... I think it's time to upgrade so me and three of my most unhandiman buds have decided to build your rack system... With any luck, it'll look identical. 8-P

Any help you can offer with muchly appreciated!!

Heat tape is 3"-11" wide, thin plastic. It has metallic strips embedded inside of it. When an electric current in run through these strips, heat is generated. The wiring is then plugged into a thermostat that maintains the temperature at a designated set point.

You can either run the tape under the back of the tubs or behind the back of the tub.

Last edited:
sweet thread
ok one quick ?.......for a adult corn (just so i am on the right page) a 28QT aka 22.5 long X 16 wide X 6 high is large enough?

Back