• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Building your own rack system

Quick question...

You were saying the sterilite containers (27qt) will be able to comfortably house large/adult corn snakes? They don't benefit from more room?

Thanks for your input!

How to build your own Rheostat for less than $7. A detailed guide.

If you are electrically challenged..hopefully this will be a good tool for you. Obviously there are many different ways that you can do this, but I thought it fitting to post simple and effective step-by-step instructions for an easy design.

DISCLAIMER: If you are under the age of 16, I would recommend adult supervision...remember, you are making an electrical device...electricity will be involved!!!

Ok let's start off with the ingredients....
01_1.jpg

Here is my proof of purchase. All of these items you should be able to pick up at your local Wally World. If you can't find them there, you might try a local electric supply or Lowes.
01_2.jpg

Here are the tools that you will need...I have a 12 in 1 screwdriver, but most likely all you'll need is a flat-head. The electrical tape is optional, but HIGHLY recommended.
01_3.jpg

OK...now for STEP 1:
Cut the exension cord approx. 1.5ft from the pictured end.
02.jpg

STEP 2:
Take the shorter piece of wire...
03.jpg

...and you want to split the two wires by using your razor blade to cut down the VERY center of the two.

04.jpg

Be careful and go slowly, you don't want to mess up and expose the wiring...
05.jpg

If you do, don't worry...electrical tape will patch that right up!
06.jpg

Also...be VERY careful with the sharp object and CUT away from your body...

06_1.jpg

Not to worry again, electrical tape will patch that right up too!!
06_2.jpg

Step 3:
Use the wire strippers and strip about 3/4" to 1" off of the end of each wire.
07.jpg

If you don't have any wire strippers, the razor blade will work fine...just make sure not to cut too deep. Cut a circle AROUND the insulation and pull it off with your fingers.
10.jpg

[/I]STEP 4:
Take the other 'cut' end of the cord and do the same thing to it.
11.jpg

STEP 5:
Now take both ends and insert them into your single gang box
14.jpg

15.jpg

STEP 6:
You have to be VERY precise on this part...look for the wire that has the ridges on it...this is the NEUTRAL side...

16.jpg

Now connect BOTH of the ridged wires together by twisting the exposed wire. And put one of your wirenuts(should be included with the dimmer) around the twisted wire
19.jpg

I also suggest putting electrical tape around it to secure it and close up any potential fire hazard...never too safe!

20.jpg

STEP 7:
Take your dimmer(notice the 2 black wires and 1 green wire) and connect the black wires to the two remaining wires....It does not matter which one you connect them to...
23.jpg

Step 8:
Do not worry about the green wire...just stuff it in the box. This is the grounding wire, because there is no ground on the plug, it won't be used. Now screw the dimmer into your box as shown.
24.jpg

Step 9:
Put on the faceplate...
25.jpg

Step 10:
Your done!
26.jpg

However, I would recommend taping the back of it just to secure the loose wires and close any gaps
27.jpg

i agree witht he becarefull of sharp objects i sliced open my finger with a box cutter too although i had 5 stitches so careful and good luck

Very nice detailed explination. Great pictures, and good step by step work. Thanks for sharing Dan.

Here is my Rack. I like CAV's a little better, but I am very satisfied with the results, I havent done much in the way of woodworking. I kept the shelves a little bigger than I needed them in case I need to use larger containers in the future, and I dont really need a huge amount of capacity yet.

Attachments

• Picture 003.jpg
    Picture 003.jpg
    59.4 KB · Views: 379
  • Picture 019.jpg
    Picture 019.jpg
    47.8 KB · Views: 378
  • Picture 021.jpg
    Picture 021.jpg
    75.3 KB · Views: 385
  • Picture 026.jpg
    Picture 026.jpg
    74.5 KB · Views: 390
(bringing the thread back to life..its so helpful..still confused)

Great job Dan!!! Now..if only tehre was a guide like that for the building of the actual rack!!

JenC said:

Great job Dan!!! Now..if only tehre was a guide like that for the building of the actual rack!!

I am working on that. I am almost done with my second rack, and will soon be starting on a third. I am going to be taking play by play pictures so that you can see everything, and I will try to make some blueprint plans to show the length and width and all that good stuff. Probably won't get it up for a while though.

pcar said:
I am working on that. I am almost done with my second rack, and will soon be starting on a third. I am going to be taking play by play pictures so that you can see everything, and I will try to make some blueprint plans to show the length and width and all that good stuff. Probably won't get it up for a while though.

Almost going on your third? WOW! Someone's been busy :grin01:

JenC said:

That was kind of intentionally left out so that you can made the rack fit your individual needs and what ever sized tub you decide to use. This truly is a customized project. There are so many great examples posted on this thread now that coming up with a "how" shouldn't be hard. Ask away if you have any specific questions. :)

Ok I need a guide to build a ceiling rack :grin01:

I'm out of room..lol..3 racks taking up my computer room! Between a desk and needing a crawl space to get to the bedroom I'm in trouble....

Thank God for understanding Wives ;)

howiet4702 said:
Almost going on your third? WOW! Someone's been busy :grin01:

Yea, just a little. by the end of the year, I should have close to 10 new snakes. 7 should be hatchlings, and the other 3 I am going to be trying to pick up some adult females so I can increase my breeding stock for next season.

Is the glass half full or half empty

Gronk said:
Ok I need a guide to build a ceiling rack :grin01:

I'm out of room..lol..3 racks taking up my computer room! Between a desk and needing a crawl space to get to the bedroom I'm in trouble....

Thank God for understanding Wives ;)

Sound to me like you have ample reason to petition said "understanding wife" for a now necessary "reptile building" out back. Beats the heck outta climbing up and down a ladder to get to that ceiling rack. ;)

Think of the possibilities... reptile room galore, a sink and counter, recliner, t.v. (w/cable), fridge, feeder freezer with Gronk's "private reserve" in the fridge......Ummmmmm. beer! Ahhhhh, someday! :rolleyes:

LOL Cav...she did offer to let me sleep in the garage once....

She was only kidding....I think ! ;)

flex watt heat tape

i cant find heat tape anywere i tried home depot and other hardware stores in my area and came up empty.... if you know of any web sites or mail order places i can order it from it would be appreciated. the rack looks great i cant wait till mine is done i have fish tanks every where and my wife is driving me crazy. would these racks work for leopard geckos also i hope so.. thanks

Not going to find it at a standard home improvement store.

I order all of my heating supplies from The Beanfarm.

The racks will work for multiple species as long as both the space and heating requirements are similar (ie both lizard and snake need 82F)

CAV said:
I order all of my heating supplies from The Beanfarm.

The racks will work for multiple species as long as both the space and heating requirements are similar (ie both lizard and snake need 82F)
Trying to contact you, with no avail, about help with a rack. I believe that you stated if someone was in TX you would help them is there a way to contact you. Please email me at [email protected].
DESPERATE!!!!

Thanks,
Amber

Back