• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

CornSnake in the wild.... :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Introducing invasive or overbearing species reduces biodiversity.
This would be an argument against captive release if it actually promoted opportunistic genes.
Again, we have no idea what's going on with these snakes.
Rich - these releases have been going on for long enough to notice whether local wild snakes exhibit any recessive characteristics. Aside from the original critter you posted, what other evidence have you noticed of your released snakes' survival?

Also as a note about my last post, I always worry about comparing apples or snakes as this case may be to oranges, so if my question is not valid then just say so. I am just asking because in my head at a basic concept level these two examples are similar.

I asked a question about this a while back ago. And since plants where brought up, I want ask again to anyone who might know. How is this different from what people are *encouraged* to do with plants? I am not an expert on snakes or on oranges, but here is an example. If I go and buy an orange tree and plant it in my yard, it will flower and spread its genetics to the surrounding orange trees, thereby affecting the native population of orange trees in my area. Essentially I am releasing captive unnaturally occurring plant genes into my environment. Additionally orange trees as well as other plants can have diseases some of which in the case of orange trees I know for sure can be very devastating to the local population of orange trees. Yet despite what seems like a parallel to me between what Rich is doing and the tree example, one is apparently ok but the other is not. Tree planting is encouraged but what Rich is doing is outright condemned by some people.
I'm not condemning Rich, what's done is done, I'm just putting my opinion and some information out there so others that may consider doing the same may think twice before releasing captive animals of any scale,fur, fin or feather into the wild.
As for the Apples and Oranges, I think the analogy can be useful with limited scope.
Actually in many states and countries it is certainly not OK and actually illegal, to import many, many different kinds of plants/flora ( look what happened with Kudzu). If you ever look through an American seed catalog many of the plants are forbidden to be shipped to certain states, for the very reasons of pathogens and cross pollination. Geez, here in Ohio it's illegal to move firewood certain distances because of the various rusts, beetles etc... that move right along with them.

As I have said in past posts I don't really have a position on this, I am not going to say I think one side is "right" or the other, because I am following this thread trying to learn about it, however this example seems like an obvious contradiction and certainly it would help if someone could explain it. Why is releasing captive genetics and possible disease from trees ok while releasing captive genetics and possible disease from snakes is not ok?
(see above )

And that doesn't even start to cover the issue that corn snakes belong in FL where as many of the plants available to buy/plant do not belong in FL.
There is a growing movement to buy/plant only local plants for a variety of reason, all of which make perfect sense IMO.
Dinah, Your questions and concerns are valid, as well as your interest in this thread :)

Also as a note about my last post, I always worry about comparing apples or snakes as this case may be to oranges, so if my question is not valid then just say so. I am just asking because in my head at a basic concept level these two examples are similar.
Water hyacinth, Australian pine, Hydrilla, Japanese climbing fern, Brazillian pepper.......some of the introduced plants that are invasive and causing problems in Florida. At some point someone thought 'oh I'll grow this' and didn't foresee or care about any possible harm.

Forked -
I didn't mean to make it sound like I was saying you specifically where condemning anyone, I was just noting that certainly over the course of this thread some people have strongly opposed/condemned releasing of snakes. To be honest I am too new at this whole forum type format to keep everyones user ID's straight. So other than a specific reference that I would quote, I am never talking about anyone specific. Maybe once I am on here longer I will be able to keep everyone straight.

Also I totally agree that my question could only be used in a limited type of scope, I am almost always against comparing one thing to another and then saying the conclusions must be valid to both things, but as I said in my mind I just kept coming back to that question. Thanks for taking the time to talk about it some. In the case of Orange trees in FL they are a local plant just like corn snakes are a local animal and that is why I was using that as my example. You can buy them at any garden center, you can also buy at any garden center many species of plants that do not natively belong here.

Diamondlil - I am well aware of the hazards of non native species and that is why I was using orange trees in my example, because like corn snakes, orange trees (as far as I can tell) also belong in Florida (the orange blossom is our state flower and growing oranges is big business here). Even in terms of non native plants, I have a hard time believing that if I posted a pic of some tulips that I had just planted I doubt everyone would respond as negatively as they did about the snake issue and corn snakes belong here tulips do not. Note I did not just plant a bunch of tulips I was just using that as an example. I am just trying to get an understanding for why one (native plants ) it would be ok or at least tolerable while the other (native animals) is not ok. Because if Rich was releasing snakes that didn't belong in FL (like say a Boa) then the issue would be different and your response about Australian pine, brazillian pepper, etc would make sense.

Diamondlil - I am well aware of the hazards of non native species and that is why I was using orange trees in my example, because like corn snakes, orange trees (as far as I can tell) also belong in Florida (the orange blossom is our state flower and growing oranges is big business here). Even in terms of non native plants, I have a hard time believing that if I posted a pic of some tulips that I had just planted I doubt everyone would respond as negatively as they did about the snake issue and corn snakes belong here tulips do not. Note I did not just plant a bunch of tulips I was just using that as an example. I am just trying to get an understanding for why one (native plants ) it would be ok or at least tolerable while the other (native animals) is not ok. Because if Rich was releasing snakes that didn't belong in FL (like say a Boa) then the issue would be different and your response about Australian pine, brazillian pepper, etc would make sense.
Oh, sorry Dinah. I think oranges like other citrus are originally from asia, which is why I was comparing other non-native plants.

Oh, sorry Dinah. I think oranges like other citrus are originally from asia, which is why I was comparing other non-native plants.

I would have to look into oranges more to know if they are totally native to FL, although as I said in my earlier posts, "as far as I can tell". I can see it being totally possible that they could have been introduced from somewhere especially way back when FL was first being explored. I assumed they where from here because they are the state flower and because several years ago the government was doing inspections and even cutting down privately owned sick orange trees, to prevent the spread of some orange disease and I can't see why they would go to so much effort if it is not a plant that FL wishes to keep here (of course I should have known better than to assume because we all know the saying about assuming). Anyways, if they specifically are not from here then they are a bad example, I was attempting to compare a native plant to a native animal.

So if oranges are not a good example then lets go with mahogany or ironwood, cabbage palm, palmetto, etc or which ever other native plant you would like to use. The original point/question I had was.... What is the difference between planting a native FL plant that was breed/grown in captivity vs releasing a native FL animal?

The misleading factor that repeatedly arises in this thread is that corn snakes are native to Florida, therefore it must be OK to release captive breds because hey, corns live here, right? First off, these are not native wild caught corn snakes that have been released, these are captive bred, domesticated corn snakes that by name only bear resemblance to the wild population. They also have been housed in an isolated environment, that may or may not house pathogens that occur naturally in the wild. It's doubtful that Rich had any of these release animals certified as disease free prior to release. He merely goes by the assumption that upon visual inspection, they don't appear to carry disease. It's a bold assumption, one that does have the possibility of replicating in the wild population, but I guess that is a risk he's more than willing to make. Not to mention that, there are genetic factors that can also replicate themselves within the wild population, i.e. star gazing, kinking. Again, in his mind, a risk not worthy of consideration.
A few Florida residents have posted in this thread regarding legality or lack thereof. Yet, you know a quick phone call to your local FWC office will provide you with the answer as to the legality of random release of captive bred animals, whether native by species or non native.
The entire mission statement of a forum such as this should include education as one of its primary goals. When a topic such as this arises, I think it is the responsibilty of the OP to provide factual information regarding such things as legal compliance, impact assessment and so on. Agian, the OP has not offered one iota of factual or scientific data to back claims that this actions doesn't affect the naturally occurring population.
This just isn't about corn snakes, this topic goes to all herps native to the U.S. Milksnakes, king snakes, bull snakes, gopher snakes, arachnids, amphibians, everything. Just because they occur in the wild in your location does not give you any rights whatsoever to release any captive bred speicem in your collection without approval of state wildlife authorities. Ignorance of the law is no excuse. Just because you didn't see the speed limit sign, doesn't give you the right to speed.
When people are in a position such as Rich, the former owner of large scale reptile breeding facility, owner/operator of what is considered a premier educational forum, they should be held to a higher standard than the average herp collector. They have the responsibility to make sure bad information or unresearched information doesn't become standard practice within the hobbiest community. By announcing openly in this forum what has been standard practice for him over the years doesn't make it right within the hobby. But that's how this thread can be interpreted.
We all know we need to be vigilant against introduction of disease and parasites form outside sources, yet this thread teaches us we don't need to show the same vigilance to protect the wild population from captive bred pathogenic threat. I'm not making claim that Rich's animals do carry disease, but he can't make absolute guarantee that they don't.
This thread also teaches us now that disposal of captive bred animals to the wild is an acceptable practice, as long as that species occurs naturally in your location. All that is required is a half hearted effort to check the internet for local laws, and if you can't find them via Google, then it must be OK. Genetics don't really need to be considered, because Rich said so. After all, he has been working with the genetics for some twenty years, and he must be right. Sadly, and much to my disappointment, he offered nothing to back his claim that this could be beneficial to the genetic integrity of the wild population.
The interpretation I get from some of the replies I have seen in this post is that "if there is a genetic problem...wouldn't we see it by now? Since we haven't, how can it be wrong?" In nature, genetics can take years, decades, centuries or more replicate. So in our lifetime, we may never see the harm, if any that can be caused by such action. But as stated before, why risk it? There is no evidence this genetic soup released into the wild actually exists within the local population. These captive bred corns, merely by the conditions in which they have been raised, and the genetics artificially provided through controlled breeding seperates them from the naturally occurring population. This is a question of ethics.
Lastly, a thread of this magnitude only serves as a good argument for the opponants of captive reptiles. It can be taken as an prime example of evidence that we as a community support the release of captive bred reptiles into the wild. Native species or not, this thread serves as fuel to to any group that opposes the possession of exotic species. Our forum founder has openly supported release of captive bred stock and has made a stand fast argument to support this action.

Are we both reading the same thread? I started reading this thread as an undecided and I have only really participated in two ways one was to look into the laws (for which I have apparently been pegged as opposition), the other was to ask a question about native plants v native animals. And even now this many pages into the thread the only take away I have is that *it is in all likelihood legal in FL to do this, but that there is much debate as to whether or not it should be done.* I cannot see how it teaches any of the things you said it teaches.

And don't even go into people who are looked up to should be examples and held to a higher standard, do you read the news much? Just because someone is looked up to that does not make them an example, Bill Clinton, Tiger Woods, Michael Vick, Bernie Madoff, Roman Polanski, Chris Brown, Mark Sanford ,etc, etc, brilliant (in some cases not so much in others), talented, looked up to (by at least some people), and all of them terrible examples.

Now to the points that I have touched on if you would like to look thorough the statutes and find the law you say exists here is the link
http://www.leg.state.fl.us/Statutes...=1&Tab=statutes&CFID=11867564&CFTOKEN=4137730
I have been all over the FWC site and the state statutes site and nothing anywhere says that this would be illegal. I do not have the time to sit on hold with some govt agency just for the fun of it, if you want to then please remember to ask for the statute number. I have *freely admitted* that it is possible I could have missed it, but I have looked really well. Now please, either put up a statute number or move on to an argument/positions that you are prepared to make.

It is in your right to express your opinions on how *you think* people should behave, but it is also within Rich's rights to behave as he pleases. But opinions are not what is going to sway me ( I still feel like I am firmly on the fence). I'm sure there is a way for you to look at my other posts in other threads (I am new so I could be wrong) but you will see that when I state something as fact or tell someone they are wrong I am prepared to back up my reason with info not with opinion and that is what I expect from someone who is trying to convince me of something. I don't know Rich maybe opinion will sway him, but for some reason I doubt it. Now people are totally allowed to express opinions on this site as well so its not like I am saying that your opinions are unwelcome. I am just saying that verifiable information is going to be more persuasive. And in my *opinion* having verifiable information is the only time that someone should be able to say that their debate partner is straight up wrong at this site or in life for that matter. To call someone wrong without verifiable facts to back it up with is very impolite (again in my opinion).

Introducing invasive or overbearing species reduces biodiversity.
This would be an argument against captive release if it actually promoted opportunistic genes.
Again, we have no idea what's going on with these snakes.
Rich - these releases have been going on for long enough to notice whether local wild snakes exhibit any recessive characteristics. Aside from the original critter you posted, what other evidence have you noticed of your released snakes' survival?

Actually none. I truly believe that all egg-laying species of reptiles are on the decline in Florida because of over development and the run away fire ant problem. Neither one of which are likely to be realistically addressed to reduce their impact in relation to the wildlife populations.

But actually Connie and I have had very little time in the past to just walk around the property "smelling the rose" as such. So perhaps there are a lot of corns out there, but we just haven't been looking for them. Maybe now, as we will have more time, we may stumble upon more of them now and again. At least I hope so. It makes my day to see something like that.

Oh, and about the plant comparison, maybe I'll make some more people go ballistic by stating that I also have some substantial groves of bamboo here that I planted...... :grin01: I've always loved that stuff, but couldn't grow it when I lived in Maryland. Now before anyone asks, as far as I know there are NO laws in Florida against planting non-native plant species here. If that were so, all of the plant nurseries I have been to are in REAL BIG trouble.

Now before someone gets on that "non-native is absolutely BAD" wagon, just let me ask this question. If you are dead set against non-native species in Florida, or anywhere for that matter, please let me know when you are going to get on the boat out of the USA as one of the first volunteers to remove YOURSELF from the environment here. Seriously, anytime I hear someone getting into this kind of a discussion, it is pretty obvious that they don't realize that THEY are not native here neither. So any push to eliminate non-natives completely needs to pick some egocentric arbitrary point in time (usually after humans have been established) as the point AFTER which to consider the removal of those species that came afterwards. :rolleyes:

But I guess when you are the top dog invasive species on the planet, this is all fair then, right?

Oh, and about the plant comparison, maybe I'll make some more people go ballistic by stating that I also have some substantial groves of bamboo here that I planted...... :grin01: I've always loved that stuff, but couldn't grow it when I lived in Maryland. Now before anyone asks, as far as I know there are NO laws in Florida against planting non-native plant species here. If that were so, all of the plant nurseries I have been to are in REAL BIG trouble.

It's ok, I wont tell if you wont ;). We have a dwarf banana tree, plus I just found out that all of the orange trees we planted are not considered native, we also have a substantially sized kitchen garden in the back yard and I doubt that any of that stuff is native :awcrap:. As I said I am on the fence in term of this mostly because I don't really feel knowledgeable enough to take a real definitive stand here, but I have always considered myself and my family to be more for the most part environmentally friendly and I was surprised that releasing a corn snake where corn snakes live at became such an issue (and I was raised in the Keys where people are *really* sensitive to that kind of stuff).

The entire mission statement of a forum such as this should include education as one of its primary goals. When a topic such as this arises, I think it is the responsibilty of the OP to provide factual information regarding such things as legal compliance, impact assessment and so on. Agian, the OP has not offered one iota of factual or scientific data to back claims that this actions doesn't affect the naturally occurring population.

Well, I wasn't under the impression this was an ~educational~ forum. I thought it was a corn snake-related chat forum.

This thread also teaches us now that disposal of captive bred animals to the wild is an acceptable practice, as long as that species occurs naturally in your location. All that is required is a half hearted effort to check the internet for local laws, and if you can't find them via Google, then it must be OK. Genetics don't really need to be considered, because Rich said so.

I certainly haven't taken that as the lesson I should learn from this thread.

Lastly, a thread of this magnitude only serves as a good argument for the opponants of captive reptiles. It can be taken as an prime example of evidence that we as a community support the release of captive bred reptiles into the wild. Native species or not, this thread serves as fuel to to any group that opposes the possession of exotic species. Our forum founder has openly supported release of captive bred stock and has made a stand fast argument to support this action.

Agreed that this could serve as such an argument. I don't think, given other more eye-popping examples, that it's a great big one, but I do see your point here.

While I am not going to condemn Rich Z for what is already over & done with, I don't think most of us are planning to make a habit of releasing corn snakes, even if we live in their natural range.

Last edited:
Well, I wasn't under the impression this was an ~educational~ forum. I thought it was a corn snake-related chat forum.

I think a lot of people come here for help with their snakes from people that may know better, either overall or just on the specific topic that they're asking about. In that way I'd certainly say that it's educational.

I think a lot of people come here for help with their snakes from people that may know better, either overall or just on the specific topic that they're asking about. In that way I'd certainly say that it's educational.

I don't disagree that education is a COMPONENT. However, I disagree with this statement:

ComoxCorn said:
I think it is the responsibilty of the OP to provide factual information regarding such things as legal compliance, impact assessment and so on.

Tell me what my responsibility as a poster is here, and I'll tell you where to go.

I don't disagree that education is a COMPONENT. However, I disagree with this statement:

ComoxCorn said:
I think it is the responsibilty of the OP to provide factual information regarding such things as legal compliance, impact assessment and so on.

Tell me what my responsibility as a poster is here, and I'll tell you where to go.

Heck, I just got a chuckle out of that one, as it is just patently (and rather bluntly) ridiculous. :rolleyes:

Now before someone gets on that "non-native is absolutely BAD" wagon, just let me ask this question. If you are dead set against non-native species in Florida, or anywhere for that matter, please let me know when you are going to get on the boat out of the USA as one of the first volunteers to remove YOURSELF from the environment here. Seriously, anytime I hear someone getting into this kind of a discussion, it is pretty obvious that they don't realize that THEY are not native here neither. So any push to eliminate non-natives completely needs to pick some egocentric arbitrary point in time (usually after humans have been established) as the point AFTER which to consider the removal of those species that came afterwards. :rolleyes:

But I guess when you are the top dog invasive species on the planet, this is all fair then, right?

You appear to be claiming that since we are a "non-native species," it would be hypocritical of us to do anything about other non-native species or view them as damaging. So by that logic, we should bring all the burmese pythons, cane toads, cuban anoles, nile monitors, etc wherever we want because there's nothing wrong with being invasive. Sounds unbelievably ridiculous to me and you contradict yourself by implying that humans, as a non-native species, are damaging the environment (and we obviously are). So I guess I just missed the point, if there was one, unless it was that people are hypocrites.

That doesn't seem relevant to the issue at hand though, so maybe you made it about humans in another attempt to confuse the issue (like the habitat destruction tangent earlier on). I'd like to talk about released snakes here. I've been talking about released snakes here. The topic was started about released snakes. Why don't we dispense with the numerous comparisons to other ecological issues that may or may not be related and just focus on the issue at hand? I'm not just talking to Rich here, I mean everyone. Could it be that no one here is really qualified by education or other relevant background experience to evaluate the effects of released snakes in the wild with some authority? I do recall a couple who supported their claims with peer-reviewed publications earlier on, but they seem to have been banned. What a coincidence.

Honestly, I'm not trying to brag, but I have a master's in biology and I've worked on at least half a dozen different herpetological research projects off the top of my head. To be painfully blunt, I know what I'm talking about to some extent here, though I'm not an expert on this particular subject. Remember that-I'm not an expert. But knowing that, I'd say unless you can trump my 6 years of relevant education, 7 years of experience in the field conducting research, and countless hours invested reading publications on various herpetological issues, you're not an expert either. Yet some people are making claims with such authority as if they know exactly what consequences animal introductions can and will have. Let me be blunt-they don't.

I can and do respect people with experience or intelligence regardless of their level of education. The trend I'm seeing here is that many without relevant experience or education don't respect the statements of those that do or for some reason think they have a superior understanding of the issue. Imagine how it would look if we flipped things around. Would I have any credibility if I told Kathy Love she didn't know what she was talking about when it came to feeding corn snakes because I've been feeding corns goldfish for years and I don't see any harm in it? Imagine she warned me about the nutritional deficiences that would result and the fact that corns don't naturally eat goldfish. If I replied, "I've been doing it this long and it doesn't seem like a disaster," or "prove it by showing me a study where corns fed goldfish were less healthy," have I justified my actions or shown that I know more about the issue than her?

I don't care if you live to be 100 and you raise snakes for 90 of those years when it comes to discussions of natural history and ecology. Herpetoculture and herpetology are two very separate things. Many people are knowledgeable in both realms, but you don't know one just because you know the other. Here are some points from my last post which seems to have gone unnoticed:

1. "Corns are native to Florida. How can releasing them cause problems?"

Pantherophis guttatus is native to Florida. Pantherophis slowinski is not, yet it was considered the same species just 7 years ago (Burbrink 2002. Molecular Phylogenetics and Evolution 25(3): 465-476). Before that it was thought to be just another of the many variable corn snake localities. Taxonomy, especially herpetological taxonomy, is always changing. A few years from now, we may have several new species that we consider just another locality of corn snake today. I have no idea what the backgrounds of the corns Rich releases are, but unless they're all descended only from corns that were originally collected there, they really can't be considered native.

If you think they could, consider this. I live where there are black rat snakes. Releasing black rat snakes at my house should represent release of a native species right? Not necessarily-depending on the geographic region origin, it could be one of 3 different species (P. obsoletus, P. alleganiensis, or P. spiloides). As it happens, only P. obsoletus occur on my property. If I released a CB albino black rat, it could be descended from pure P. spiloides stock or it could have a mixed ancestry including all 3 species-there's no way to know without genetic testing. In either case, it wouldn't be a pure P. obsoletus though and therefore, not native although it would be a black rat snake by appearance and name.

Like it or not, genetics are becoming much more common in taxonomy and plenty of herps that were previously considered single species have been split based on genetic variations over their ranges. Slowinski's corn is just a single example of this. Genetic differences in different portions of a species' range can eventually lead to morphological differences, giving us those clear cut, visibly distinct species that we all love. Meddling with the natural distribution of these genetically distinct populations interferes with that process. The point in this case is that genetically, Rich's corns differ from those that naturally occur in the area and by some definitions could be considered different species since they would be reproductively isolated from one another without human interference. Heck, they're already morphologically different as well in the case of morphs. Even hets probably have different saddle counts, scale counts, etc.

There is nothing to gain from releasing these snakes, though it has the potential to cause many complications. You can focus on the word potential all you want and say there's no definite proof, and that may be true, but I still don't understand how it's worth the risk. Am I missing something or is the only payoff here the fact that a single individual finds it to be a convenient method of disposal for his unwanted snakes? Is that enough justification to risk the future of even a single population of wild snakes?

This practice unquestionably alters the natural population dynamics as well as the genetic integrity of the surrounding populations. Whether or not these changes will have any lasting, damaging consequences is uncertain. Is finding a caramel on your driveway instead of a normal really worth the risk though? These aren't hypothetical questions-I'd like to see answers.

Oh and one more thing, it is illegal:

FLORIDA ADMINISTRATIVE CODE ANNOTATED
TITLE 68. FISH AND WILDLIFE CONSERVATION COMMISSION
SUBTITLE 68A. FRESHWATER FISH AND WILDLIFE
CHAPTER 68A-4. GENERAL PROHIBITIONS AND REQUIREMENTS
Current with rules included in the October 30, 2009 issue of the Florida
Administrative Weekly; see scope message for specific rules in effect.

68A-4.005. Introduction of Carriers of Disease; Inspection.

(1) No person shall release or introduce in the state any wildlife, freshwater fish or any other organism that might reasonably be expected to transmit any disease to wildlife or freshwater fish.

(1) No person shall release or introduce in the state any wildlife, freshwater fish or any other organism that might reasonably be expected to transmit any disease to wildlife or freshwater fish.

No, your statement should be "it is POSSIBLY illegal"....

Interesting.... But since my animals have been a closed population for a number of years, with no signs of observable illness caused by disease organisms, I did not REASONABLY expect them to transmit any diseases to the local populations. Since there is no indication in this code about who "might" reasonably determine this, I guess I'm just as qualified as anyone else, under the circumstances.

But do you have an actual online link to that "code"? I would like to see it in it's full context. Of course, there is also the other minor detail of whether or not a code violation is a violation of actual LAW.

Anyone else interested in trying to get me arrested? :roflmao: Some are apparently trying pretty hard to do that. What a wonderful bunch of guys.....

Oh, while I am at it, Kevin, in reference to your treatise on the black rat snakes, please take a look at this definition of "species" and provide us with your opinion about what this actually means...

spe⋅cies  /ˈspiʃiz, -siz/ Show Spelled Pronunciation [spee-sheez, -seez] Show IPA noun, plural -cies, adjective
Use species in a Sentence
See web results for species
See images of species
–noun 1. a class of individuals having some common characteristics or qualities; distinct sort or kind.
2. Biology. the major subdivision of a genus or subgenus, regarded as the basic category of biological classification, composed of related individuals that resemble one another, are able to breed among themselves, but are not able to breed with members of another species.
3. Logic. a. one of the classes of things included with other classes in a genus.
b. the set of things within one of these classes.

4. Ecclesiastical. a. the external form or appearance of the bread or the wine in the Eucharist.
b. either of the Eucharistic elements.

5. Obsolete. specie; coin.
6. the species, the human race; mankind: a study of the species.

Emphasis added, of course.

So will all three of those separate species of black rat snakes breed together?Are that ABLE to breed together?

I believe that it was when I truly pondered that definition many years ago, perhaps when I was very much involved in neotropical triangulums, that I became enamored with the term "inconsequential differences". It became apparent to me that some people had become so blinded by the minor differences (perhaps to make a name for themselves by discovering some previously overlooked obscure difference and claiming it was substantial enough to warrant a new species or subspecies name) that they were completely overlooking the MAJOR SIMILARITIES between those samples sitting in the pickling jars.

Sorry, but I'm just not impressed by that argument you have presented........

I would also like to see a link because the legality of the issue has been a point that I have been following closely. However if it was in the October 30, 2009 issue then it might be relevant to point out that Rich has retired and if the code, or law, or rule has just been put into effect it would not apply to the things he did in the past.

I would really like a link to this code in its original context especially with all of the information preceding it. I have looked and I found this link https://www.flrules.org/BigDoc/View_Faw.asp?IID=1032 to the October 30 2009 Florida Administrative Weekly, and I downloaded the entire weekly in its pdf format from the link on the page i provided. I do not see a scope section anywhere :shrugs:.

I see on page 15 and 16 of the pdf which are labeled 5437-5438 at the bottom of the pages that there is a fwc section, but they are discussing *codes* 68-5 and 68a-6 not 68A-4. Also both of those pages are in Section I, which is labeled "Notices of Development of *Proposed* Rules
and Negotiated Rulemaking"

FWC is also mentioned on page 138 per the pdf or pg 5560 as labeled but this part is just giving notice of meetings and public hearings but none of the topics are on this subject.

I have really looked into this in terms of laws, and it is really something that is of interest to me, so perhaps you could help me out a little bit. Is this the same Administrative weekly that you are looking at and if so cold you provide me with a page number from where you got your info? as I have said before certainly it is possible I could have missed something. Or maybe I am looking at the wrong thing or maybe you are looking at a different issue and cited wrong by mistake. I try not to be a fly in peoples ointment, but I am just not really a believe someone because they said so kind of girl, so please don't be offended. Thanks :cool:

No, your statement should be "it is POSSIBLY illegal"....

Interesting.... But since my animals have been a closed population for a number of years, with no signs of observable illness caused by disease organisms, I did not REASONABLY expect them to transmit any diseases to the local populations. Since there is no indication in this code about who "might" reasonably determine this, I guess I'm just as qualified as anyone else, under the circumstances.

But do you have an actual online link to that "code"? I would like to see it in it's full context. Of course, there is also the other minor detail of whether or not a code violation is a violation of actual LAW.

Anyone else interested in trying to get me arrested? :roflmao: Some are apparently trying pretty hard to do that. What a wonderful bunch of guys.....

You're absolutely right-it is possibly illegal, but not assuredly based on what I've cited. That was poor wording on my part. However, just because YOU don't reasonably expect them to transmit disease, doesn't mean this doesn't apply in this case. Apparently you release non-feeders. Where I come from, persistent refusal to eat might be interpreted as a sign of illness. It doesn't necessarily mean it is, but it sure could be. My interpretation is that you DO need to rule out disease transmission prior to release, as in have the animals evaluated by a vet. As far as linking to the actual code, I never even looked at it myself. I found this reference on another message board and just pasted what was there. To be perfectly honest, it could be completely made up for all I know, though I have no reason to believe it is. Since it seemed relevant to the questions of legality concerning released animals in FL I went ahead and posted it.

As far as it being a code and not a law, I know I work in environmental enforcement and I regularly cite people for violations of our state code which can lead to fines and/or imprisonment. This may not be the same across the board and I have no legal training, so take it for what you will. Considering my degree of unfamiliarity with legal issues, I don't really have any interest in searching through another state's records to try and confirm or deny the status or relevance of this reference. If someone else would like to make that effort and provide a definite answer either way...well it probably wouldn't make a difference the way this thread has been going, but you're welcome to try.

Personally, I don't have some mean-spirited vendetta or want to see you arrested Rich, though I do find your actions (especially the public broadcasting of them on here) reprehensible and think you should hold yourself to a higher standard. As has been stated before, it sets a bad example and promotes the idea of disposability without responsibility...responsibility to the animals or the environment. I'd be much more interested in getting you to expand your understanding and/or interpretation of the issue and realize the potential for harm and how much it outweighs what you apparently consider "benefits" of the practice. Unfortunately, to be blunt, I think you already have some understanding of the potential consequences and simply don't care, whether you'll admit it or not. I'll try to keep throwing out justification for my perspective if you'll keep listening though.

I have really looked into this in terms of laws, and it is really something that is of interest to me, so perhaps you could help me out a little bit.

Sorry, but as I mentioned above, I'm just not familiar with the document or motivated enough to search for it. I just found the reference online, but I have no idea how or where to access the original source. I write people up almost daily for WV Code violations but if I didn't have the book sitting on my desk, I'd have no idea where to find any of the information it contains. For all I know the reference in question may not even exist online. If you are motivated enough to keep looking and find some definite confirmation of its existence or absence, I'd personally be interested in the results either way. After all, you can't trust everything you read online and in this case, I was really just taking someone else's word for it that this reference existed (though I don't know why anyone would make something like this up).

Oh, while I am at it, Kevin, in reference to your treatise on the black rat snakes, please take a look at this definition of "species" and provide us with your opinion about what this actually means...

...but are not able to breed with members of another species...

Sorry, but I'm just not impressed by that argument you have presented........

Oh jeez, this is quite the can of worms, but it's really inevitable if we're going to thoroughly discuss the issue. It's also directly related to the situation at hand (releasing snakes), so kudos for the relevant point. As far as the emphasized portion of the definition you referenced, here is my response. It says a species is not able to breed with members of another species. By this I assume you're implying that P. slowinski and P. guttatus are the same species since they can interbreed and you suggest that the splitting of these two is premature. I can't definitively refute this claim since I
A. don't have a thorough knowledge of genetics from a systematic/taxonomic standpoint, and
B. haven't even read the whole paper in detail.
The split may have been valid and well-supported by the author's data or it may have been premature depending on interpretation. I won't say I agree or disagree with this specific example unless I take the time to better educate myself on it.

However, the definition of a species you posted is flawed. Different species can interbreed, obviously. We have hundreds if not thousands of examples of corns crossed with cal kings, honduran milks, florida kings, gopher snakes, etc. I've even seen an asian beauty snake/corn hybrid and some hybrid between a corn and a species of European Elaphe (can't recall which species though). These are all examples of intergeneric hybrids-not just different species, but different genera. Surely you don't suggest that each of these snakes are actually all the same species because they can interbreed. Your definition failed to mention this, but most cases I've seen claim separate species can interbreed, but will not produce viable offspring (they will be sterile). This is not even the case with many of these examples. It has been proven many times over that these hybrids are fertile and able to breed with one another or back to one of the parent species.

To be clear, there is no absolute definition of a species. It is a concept created by humans to categorize organisms and no definition works in every case. That was the point I was trying to make-it's pointless to suggest that releasing corns in FL is fine because they're "the same species" as the natives because scientists can't even agree on a consistent definition of the word species. Just as you could consider releasing cal kings in FL wrong due to their "non-native" status, you could consider releasing line bred CB corns wrong since they are also non-native (genetically and/or morphologically different from those that naturally occur there).

Here is a list of some different definitions of the word species, all currently accepted by different groups within the scientific community:

1. Nominalistic species concept: Only the individuals themselves exist, while species are abstractions created by people. (probably the most "correct" definition, though not the most useful for classification)

2. Essentialist (typological) species concept: A species is a group of individuals essentially indistinguishable from some specimen selected as a standard of reference such as a holotype, lectotype, etc. (pretty good in my opinion, though subjective )

3. Morphological species concept: Defined on observable, morphological differences. Morphological gaps define species differences. This method also uses type specimens as references. (my old line of thinking before I became more educated on the subject)

4. Biological species concept: A species is a group of interbreeding natural populations that is reproductively isolated from other such groups. (similar to the example you used, but difficult to define reproductive isolation i.e. disjunct populations may or may not be considered separate species)

5. Evolutionary species concept: A single lineage of ancestor-descendent populations which maintain their identity from other such lineages and which has its own evolutionary tendencies and fate (lineage=one or a series of local populations which share a common history of descent not shared with other local populations). (could be viable, but very subjective due to differing interpretations of genetic differentiation and where to draw the lines)

6. Phylogenetic species concept 1: The smallest diagnosable samples of self-perpetuating organisms using diagnosable characters. (I'm not too familiar with this one personally, but I think it goes too far and would/could consider very small groups such as different populations to be different species)

7. Phylogenetic species concept 2: Species must have an autapomorphy (a character unique to a particular taxon). Otherwise much like #6. (according to my understanding, this would be very difficult to apply to all organisms in a way that makes sense)

8. Genetic species concept: The system used by bacteria people, where the 16S gene has to differ by 1%. (Would basically require genetic testing of everything to really know what it is)

Obviously, these very different, yet potentially valid definitions really complicate things. When discussing a species, two people could have wildly different definitions of what they're referring to. Rather than starting a debate about taxonomy on the side, I hope this will be sufficient to prove that the "corns are a native species, so there's nothing wrong with it" logic is inherently flawed due to a highly debatable definition of the word species.

This brings me back to my often repeated, yet still not answered questions:

There is nothing to gain from releasing these snakes, though it has the potential to cause many complications. You can focus on the word potential all you want and say there's no definite proof, and that may be true, but how is it worth the risk? How can you justify the potential harm when the only benefit is your personal convenience?

This practice unquestionably alters the natural population dynamics as well as the genetic integrity of the surrounding populations. Whether or not these changes will have any lasting, damaging consequences is uncertain. Is it worth the risk though? Why?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back