• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Daytona 2009

How about this?

We may change the font to one with serifs. But how about the words?

BechtelMemorialAward1stone-2009.jpg

One thing we did not do is write the place. For example, "August 22, 2009 at Daytona, Florida". Because we are the Daytona Cornsnake Supper Club, that sounds redundant. OTOH, Florida is not mentioned anywhere. I don't want to add any new words as it might get crowded. But what do you all think of the lack of mention of Florida - is it important? And if so, where to put it without being redundant?

Those are much nicer photos than I got to come up - I was unable to enlarge my thumbnails like that. But the rosewood still doesn't look very reddish compared to the catalog, and compared to the rosewood I have seen in Madagascar. It is usually a very deep reddish brown tone - very attractive.

Unfortunately, they don't mention about how they were harvested, so I can't say.

Kathy, leave it alone. There is no such place as "Daytona, Florida", anyways. There is "South Daytona", which is South of "Daytona Beach", and further North on US1, just past Bunnell in Flagler County, off on the left is "North Daytona"., which runs along the old Kings Highway (population 19; it's not even on the mapquest). I'd feel it's safe to leave it alone.

It won't be QUITE that big when put on an 8 x 10 plaque, especially when shrunk to fit within the margins of the black part. But it should still be pretty readable, I think.

I will check back for comments, until Monday night. Then Bill will make the final PhotoShop copy, and I will email the order when I get up on Tues. (they are closed on Mon).

So comment away, about the 3 plaque choices, or the wording, or fonts, or anything else that needs to be decided before tomorrow night.

I can donate some Variegated Pineapple Plants in gallon pots, got a little carried away with the OCD potting up last year's babies. For those travelling by car anyways.

Ooooh, Katie and I want some Pineapple plants toooo, ok, it's really me, but I have the green thumb, hers is black...

BTW, are the stones you got for a prize, fake, lightweight, rocks that will look good in photos? That is exactly what Bill has been looking for to use in his photo seminars at shows. Where did you find them?

Hey Kathy, I've been spending a lot of time on aquarium sites in the DIY section before I start making a foam background for one of the tanks to house my next lizard. They showed how to do those out of the Styrofoam sheets, and how to make additional rocks out of pieces cut off the sheet. basically it's taking a chunk of foam, melting it into shape with paint thinner/turpentine then coating in a runny wall cement with what ever water based pigment you like. They're really light, so are heavily siliconed to the bottom of the tank to keep them from floating. I'll make some after Daytona when things slow down and post in the DIY section.

"Didn't it say it was rosewood dyed, or something? Implying not real rosewood? "

You are correct. I just looked it up in the catalog, and it says "Rosewood stained piano-finished plaque, black brass plate with gold braided design border." It doesn't say what kind of wood it actually is.

The wood is probably a maple or something simple that is then dyed.

I like the wording! It gets my vote!

You could always put Daytona, FL.....only adding the FL shouldn't take up too much room.

Do you mean where is says the Daytona Supper Club? Seems like if it said the Daytona, Fl. Supper Club, it would be a little awkward sounding. And that is not what is written on the t shirts, which seem to be our unofficial emblems now. Is that what you meant, or did you mean something else?

I guess, because of the Daytona car race, most everyone probably DOES know that it means Florida.

To everyone interested - Today is the last day for comments - I will put in the order when I get up tomorrow. Speak now, or forever hold your peace, lol!

Doesn't really matter to me. I agree that most people know where Daytona is so it probably isn't necessary. Adding "FL" was merely a suggestion that I hadn't seen posted but it was very late and my brain was not working well after several plane flight delays and an exhausting weekend.

Glad you mentioned it! Anything somebody suggests may spur somebody else to think of something important that has totally escaped us so far (although I sure HOPE not!). The more participation, the better!

So far, it is the 8 x 10" (approx), rosewood stained plaque, with the wording I posted, although Bill will still probably change the font. He is just waiting to see if there will be any other changes before he works on it again.

I believe there will be about 600 tables (although not as many vendors, because some have multiple tables), and usually about 8 - 10 thousand attendees. It is pretty busy!

Back