• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

How to dispose of body? (RIP Mouse)

Teddy Roosevelt

i loev cronsankes
I found my little Mousey-moo-moo face down in her water dish a few minutes ago, mouth agape and body all twisted up... dead, of course. After having a good cry I put her in a box. How do I dispose of her body? I can't bury her in the yard; even with the box, the dog would dig her up. I don't think I should put her in the trash due to laws against animal carcasses. I couldn't bear to flush her down the toilet like a goldfish. What do I do with her?

I'm so upset. She was so sweet and gentle. Even when I had to give her medicine a few months ago and probably traumatized the poor thing sticking syringes down her throat and soaking her in medicine, she never bit or struck. She never even tail rattled at me. She had such a sweet disposition and if you could've seen the color on her you'd probably faint; she had the pinkest pinks and yellowist yellows I've ever seen on a regular snow, she looked like a sunset. My parents told me I did everything I could and that she was obviously not right from the beginning, but I can't help kicking myself. What if I'd taken her to the vet again, or gone to a more herp centered vet? Would she still be alive today? I'm so upset.

Sorry for your loss. :( It's always hard to lose one.

I usually freeze, and then after a few days thaw and feed to my king, if it's small enough. As morbid as that sounds, it is the circle of life. Or I bury them in the backyard. Put Mouse in a plastic ziploc bag with as little air as possible. Then dig a hole deep enough to where the dog can't get that far down. Or somewhere where the dog won't get to the bag.

Sorry for your loss. :( It's always hard to lose one.

I usually freeze, and then after a few days thaw and feed to my king, if it's small enough. As morbid as that sounds, it is the circle of life. Or I bury them in the backyard. Put Mouse in a plastic ziploc bag with as little air as possible. Then dig a hole deep enough to where the dog can't get that far down. Or somewhere where the dog won't get to the bag.
Thanks Robbie. I don't have a king and I'd be hesitant to give her to someone who does given her health problems.

You can contact animal control or a vet and see if they will dispose of her remains. I'm sorry you lost your baby.

Don't take this the wrong way and I don't know AZ fire laws but place her body in your outside fire pile, think of it as cremation or an old Viking burial

I've often wondered this myself, where do all the deceased snakes go? I tend to bury my animals, sometimes if I'm planting a tree or bush and put them in the same hole with the tree or bush. But I don't have a digging dog. Hard to dig in Wisconsin in the winter though, I've had a snake in my freezer for a few months, waiting to be buried.

When I lived in northern Utah the winters were extremely cold and harsh. One winter we seriously had an entire month where the high was 35 below zero. This created a real problem for farmers and ranchers. During the summer I had about an acre of ground where I would dig post holes. Then in the winter I would sell them to farmers that needed them. They would just dig a hole and drop one of my post hole in and they could run fence all winter long.

I know this is different, but it might help.

first off... if anyone is offended, just imagine this is writen in a way that doesn't offend you.

most dead animals end up either in the ground, in the garbage(to the ground eventualy), or cremated as far as I know.

so... you can pay someone to cremate it and waste a bunch of money, pay someone to get rid of it where they will either cremate it or put it in the ground...

If you dont want to pay to get rid of your deceased pet, you could throw it in the garbage (carcass law, wtf?... not here, if so use a dumpster), burry it, toss it in a wooded area away from people, or burn it in a fire.

I mean really... why is this a huge issue? dig a hole like 2' deep, burry, and put some stones over it. if you want make a little cross or something... lol

During the summer I had about an acre of ground where I would dig post holes. Then in the winter I would sell them to farmers that needed them. They would just dig a hole and drop one of my post hole in and they could run fence all winter long.

hu?
am i missunderstanding you...
you dug holes in the summer, and then sold them to farmers in the winter so they could then dig a hole and put your hole in their hole?
you could also sell your truck for gas money... :poke:

I personally am not that picky when it comes to animal waste disposal, ashes to ashes dust to dust. Maybe it's the hunter or woodsman coming out in me but either cremate her, put her in the dumpster or trash can and don't look back.

I live in a flat with no garden (hence no burning/burying options). Most of the ones I've lost have passed at the vet's, so they dispose of the body for me (at a cost). If you feel you need a more dignified way and you can't burn or bury, then that might be the way to go if you have the money.

Although having said that, any that have passed when with me have been well-wrapped and put into the garbage. I do mean WELL wrapped - I don't want any poor garbage worker to be faced with some unknown reptile "threat" when going about their job. People tend to panic if they're not expecting a snake. Many layers of newspaper, then inside a plastic shopping bag. Then wound tight with Duck Tape, then wrapped inside a sturdy bin bag and more Duck Tape. If it's an adult, I also put a typed note in a sealed baggie betweenthe inner and outer bags, giving the species name and noting that it is non-venomous (just in case).

I'm sorry you lost her. :(

Do you have a family member (or maybe a friend) who would be willing to let you bury her in their yard?

You might be able to do it in your own yard too if you cover the top of the hole with rocks...I think that would probably keep your dog out.

first off... if anyone is offended, just imagine this is writen in a way that doesn't offend you.

most dead animals end up either in the ground, in the garbage(to the ground eventualy), or cremated as far as I know.

so... you can pay someone to cremate it and waste a bunch of money, pay someone to get rid of it where they will either cremate it or put it in the ground...

If you dont want to pay to get rid of your deceased pet, you could throw it in the garbage (carcass law, wtf?... not here, if so use a dumpster), burry it, toss it in a wooded area away from people, or burn it in a fire.

I mean really... why is this a huge issue? dig a hole like 2' deep, burry, and put some stones over it. if you want make a little cross or something... lol

Some people are more sentimental about their pets, even if it is a snake. And yes there are laws in some areas regarding the disposing of animal carcasses. In the county just north of me it is now illegal to bury any animal in your yard. You have to take it to a vet, animal control or know someone who is licensed in pet cremation/disposal.

When I lived in northern Utah the winters were extremely cold and harsh. One winter we seriously had an entire month where the high was 35 below zero. This created a real problem for farmers and ranchers. During the summer I had about an acre of ground where I would dig post holes. Then in the winter I would sell them to farmers that needed them. They would just dig a hole and drop one of my post hole in and they could run fence all winter long.

I know this is different, but it might help.

OK, I'm completely confused.

OK, I'm completely confused.

I'm with you.. I don't know where this came from, lol. However I do that one time I posted a comment in a Tessera progression thread, then the next day there were responses with "What are you talking about?". Somehow it had posted itself in an entirely unrelated thread and I had no idea how that happened.

Maybe this was something like that?

Oh, Lexie, I am so sorry! ((Lexie & Mouse)) Honestly, I would freeze her body until I could figure out something kind to do. Maybe you can make a trip to a park & surreptiously bury her there? If you can afford it, pet cremation is an option. I know I could not flush or dump one of mine, so I understand the problem. I live in an apartment, so no yard -- I think I would go to the park myself as that seems the most natural, but I'm not telling you what to do. I am just sorry for you.

Back