• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

I want to feed my corn live?!

Hello i was wondering, my corn is 25g and about 6-8 months old, and is currently eating fuzzies f/t. I wanted to feed it a live fuzzy next feeding, im new to the everything so i basically just want to feed my curiosity (see what i did there :) ). I also want it to learn to constrict/kill its food, as it just goes up to up and starts swallowing and i want to change that. I realize there is a risk with feeding live, and i will take a lot of care and do research with it, also i heard fuzzys and pinkies are the only 2 u could really ever feed live cause they cant do any damage cause they are so young.

So before i do this, any tips? I only plan on doing it once, maybe twice, but never more then that cause i have no where to put live mice and im not available to go pick one up every feeding day.

Also what are the risk with feeding live fuzzys? ( I WILL NEVER FEED LIVE ANYTHING BIGGER THEN A FUZZY THO, i promise :) )

Thanks in advance,

John

Personally, I can't even imagine why you would want to do something like that. Sure, a fuzzy can't hurt a snake, but why would you want to torture a small animal for no good reason? It's not like your snake won't eat thawed prey. Did you know that your snake probably still won't constrict, and eat it alive while it screams the whole time? Did you know that before the poor fuzzy is even dead it will probably be burned by the snake's stomach acid?
Not to mention, what if your snake never wants to go back to thawed later on (which is a real possibility).
Your snake is a PET. We don't expect our pet dogs to hunt down and kill their own food, why should we expect our other pets to?

If you want to see your snake constrict, hand feed it a FT fuzzy, right from your fingers, and when the snake takes the fuzzy in his mouth, give it a little shake!!

Well he does constrict but only after he starts swallowing, also have the opinion that if it happens in the wild, why not. I understand it may not go to bk to frozen thawed but im not super worried, theres always a way. Also many people argue both points of the spectrum about feeding live with respect to being humaine...but when you buy f/t do you know how they are killed? Maybe they just put them in the freezer and let them freeze to death, or maybe they smash them against a wall. Either way i highly doubt they are killed humainly with no pain

In addition to Beth's points, live mice carry parasites. It costs $200 at a minimum to deworm a snake.

O wow thats an awesome video, i do realize that i can do the zombie dance thing, ive tried it with tongs although it seems to scare him more then help him maybe im doing it wrong and i prob am. I kinda just bounce it up and down and it kinda sways around a bit and he just seems really scared. Also with respect to hand feeding im worried about getting bitten, not about me but the snake, i have been told if you get bitten not to pull back cause u can break the snakes fangs, although im a little jumpy as quick movements (such as a snake bite/strike) and am worried that even though i know i shouldnt if he strikes me that i will pull back and hurt him.

Well he does constrict but only after he starts swallowing, also have the opinion that if it happens in the wild, why not. I understand it may not go to bk to frozen thawed but im not super worried, theres always a way. Also many people argue both points of the spectrum about feeding live with respect to being humaine...but when you buy f/t do you know how they are killed? Maybe they just put them in the freezer and let them freeze to death, or maybe they smash them against a wall. Either way i highly doubt they are killed humainly with no pain

Factory-produced mice are killed by CO2. But even if they were killed inhumanely, does that make it okay for you to do so as well???

But you know what- if you want to do it, despite already knowing the risks- freaking go ahead. I'm sick and tired of people thinking they know better than others with years and years of experience, and then the thread degenerating into a big war over a million reasons why you shouldn't feed live vs you just want to. So go ahead.

realistically, these mice are raised for feeding i cant imagine they have parasites, especially cause i will get them from a very reliable source (Reptilia a very well known reptile company around here).

O wow thats an awesome video, i do realize that i can do the zombie dance thing, ive tried it with tongs although it seems to scare him more then help him maybe im doing it wrong and i prob am. I kinda just bounce it up and down and it kinda sways around a bit and he just seems really scared. Also with respect to hand feeding im worried about getting bitten, not about me but the snake, i have been told if you get bitten not to pull back cause u can break the snakes fangs, although im a little jumpy as quick movements (such as a snake bite/strike) and am worried that even though i know i shouldnt if he strikes me that i will pull back and hurt him.

If you hold the fuzzy close to the tail you can aim the head at the snake. it's very simple. I wouldn't usually do it with an adult, but I'll still hand mice to my snakes that are eating weanlings and not worry.

In the wild a snake can also be eaten by a hawk is that something you would want for your pet?
How about being covered with ticks?
Those things happen in nature all the time. Not something I would want for my PET.
Many pet owners hate snake keepers because they view us as people who have no respect for their animals and just keep them because "they are cool and it is so cool to watch them kill things every week."
Is that the way you want to be viewed?
Pinkies and fuzzys usually are frozen alive, and are usually dead very very quickly.
If your snake is eating thawed food, in my opinion it is cruel, stupid, and disrespectful to both the snake AND the prey item to mess with that.

You asked for opinions, and I gave you mine.
You are going to do whatever you want, in the end.
But I have absolutely no respect for people who feed live for kicks and sick thrills. They hurt and endanger this hobby imo.

also realistically i can believe they may have parasites but i find it hard to believe it wouldnt be rare, also i have a huge respect for those who know more and dont think i know more. I do agree with you, i shouldnt be doing it inhumanely, although its nature and i dont see problems with that. Its the natural food chain and no one can tell me other wise, God made it that way for a reason and whether you agree or not thats just the way it is. Although i do not know better than you or probably then 99% of people on this forum, maybe im not aware of all the risks, can you fill me in?

also realistically i can believe they may have parasites but i find it hard to believe it wouldnt be rare, also i have a huge respect for those who know more and dont think i know more. I do agree with you, i shouldnt be doing it inhumanely, although its nature and i dont see problems with that. Its the natural food chain and no one can tell me other wise, God made it that way for a reason and whether you agree or not thats just the way it is. Although i do not know better than you or probably then 99% of people on this forum, maybe im not aware of all the risks, can you fill me in?

Sorry, but no, it's not nature.
It is an animal kept in a cage as a PET.

Your dog eats out of a bag or a can.
So does your cat.
They are pets.

Parasites are a risk.
Your snake not wanting thawed again is a risk, and as it grows it will require live food that can really hurt it. Do you want to even chance it?
Do you really think that is in the snake's best interest?
Or do you really want to be one of those stupid brutal people that get off on watching their pets kill things? Seriously?

i dont do it for the thrill or the kicks. Maybe sure id think it was cool to watch, maybe im immature to say that, i do not keep a snake because its cool, unfortunately by most people i know its the opposite of cool to own a snake. Would i want to see my snake killed by a hawk, nope. Would i want to see a snake in the wild killed by a hawk, well maybe i think it would be interesting to watch, one thing abut me is i love observing behavior especially in nature. insects and infections are something i wish did not happen in the wild or in captivity.

I appreciate all opinions and like hearing them, i do enjoy contesting opinions because it leads to learning and what not. I also do not get offended by them and expect others to not be offended by mine

Also dogs kept as a pet are usually small and i dont even know what they'd eat in the wild, although a real dog like a husky or a big dog i would enjoy watching it hunt and eat.

If you really really want to watch, there are about a zillion vids on utube, set to music of stuff like this.
With close up shots of the poor mouse gasping for air as the morons laugh.

I avoid utube like the plague.

like i said i enjoy observing behavior and would love to see it happen once or twice. I would be satisfied if it was in real life, even more so, but i dont have that option so why not feed one to my own snake especially with no risk hell get attacked by his meal.

Why are you going on and on about it, arguing against every point made NOT to do it?

Just do it and get it over with.

like i said i enjoy observing behavior and would love to see it happen once or twice. I would be satisfied if it was in real life, even more so, but i dont have that option so why not feed one to my own snake especially with no risk hell get attacked by his meal.

Yes because watching a small baby animal scream in fear and pain while it is being eaten assfirst is soooooo enriching...pleaseeeeee.....
Let's get real here. You aren't doing it for your snake, your snake eats just fine. There really is NO reason to do it, except that you WANT to.
And if that is something you want to do, no one can stop you.
But don't kid yourself, torturing a baby animal for no good reason, even if it is "just" a mouse is wrong wrong wrong.

Back