• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

non feeder (help)

Well, here is the update and happy ending to this thread, my little guy has eaten successfully multiple times now. The first four times he required gecko scented pink, however the fifth feeding he actually attacked the pink befor I could release it, so I tried a non scented pink nothing so, I tried picking up with the tongs as soon as he saw the movement he was all over the pink, so the feeding problems have ended. I wanted to thank everyone who has helped me in dealing with this. I couldnt have done it with out all of your help.

Well, here is the update and happy ending to this thread, my little guy has eaten successfully multiple times now. The first four times he required gecko scented pink, however the fifth feeding he actually attacked the pink befor I could release it, so I tried a non scented pink nothing so, I tried picking up with the tongs as soon as he saw the movement he was all over the pink, so the feeding problems have ended. I wanted to thank everyone who has helped me in dealing with this. I couldnt have done it with out all of your help.

That's awesome! I'm glad your non feeder is now established!

Hi,I bought a corn snake on December.She was 1 year old and everything was ok till now.She don't want to eat.Last time she ate four weeks ago and she's not interested in food.She looks healthy and I didn't recognise any changes on her body.She is very lively and I don't know What to do:( Actually this my daughters snake and she's worry about her snake.If anyone can help me,I don't know what to do.Till last time our snake ate medium mice but now she don't want them anymore.

Check the temperature on the floor of the tank, on the warm side, with a digital or infra-red thermometer (not the cardboard strip or plastic dial ones, which can be 20+ degrees out either way). If they get too hot this can make them over-active and put them off their food - the wrong temps mean they can't digest properly.

I know it sounds daft, but tweaking the temperature can be the easiest quick fix for feeding problems. It's something that can either happen suddenly or gradually, so just because she's been OK in the setup since December, it still could be the root cause.

Other than that, is she due a shed? Some refuse food when they're coming up to that point and again, it's a behaviour which can pop up suddenly. The activity points to something else though, as they usually very timid and hidey during a shed.

She is after shedding , it was two weeks ago , but I'll check the temperature as you said and thank you very much for your help

Hi ,I checked temperature but in a terrarium is a thermostat and a temperature sensor is at the bottom of the terrarium, the thermostat shows 23 degrees Celsius ,in terrarium we use a hitting mat to heat and LED bulbs to give her light ,so they give not a lot of heat. I am confused a bit ,Is it good or bad ? I haven't got this special termometre, and till this time she feels good in this temperature and from the beginning is all the same ,should I change that? Or maybe is some other reason ?

23C (73F) is a good cool side temperature, but about 10 degrees too low for the warm side floor. It could well be putting her off eating.

You need to use a digital or infra-red thermometer to check these temps (sorry, I'm rather confused about what you actually have) as the reading on the thermostat isn't necessarily going to be accurate.

If you confirm that the warm side floor is 23C, then you need to turn the thermostat up until the thermometer reads around 29C (84F) on the warm side floor inside the tank.

LED bulbs give off very little heat but they are good for lighting. Just concentrate on the heat mat. As you have a thermostat to regulate it, you should be able to get the warm side floor to the correct temperature.

However I can't emphasise enough that you need a digital or infra-red thermometer (if you don't already have one), and that you need to be measuring the temperature on the floor at the warm side immediately above the heat mat. Those are the keys to getting things right for your lass.

I've adopted a rescue corn snake from hurricane Sandy. It's very young, probably 11 inches long, a lot like a garter snake. He's hand tame, active, drinks his water, has defecated, has a 10 gallon tank with 3 hides in 3 different temp zones, etc. No mites, no bony ridges, etc. After 4 days of leaving him to get settled I tried a deli cup feed with a pinky to no avail. I'm trying again in about 5 days. While I've had snakes I've never had young snakes and I've never had corns so I'm feeling out of my depth. Reading this thread in hopes of getting my guy to eat!

It's definitely a corn, ID'd by 3 corn owners. Plus it's original owner whose house was destroyed by Sandy. The picture is in my icon, though I can post the same pic larger if you like. It came from someone whose house was wrecked by the storm. (They only had it for 3 days!) It's hard for me to get a lot of background info on the poor thing because of the rescue craziness. Right now I'm assuming it's stressed and giving it 5 days til I try another deli cup feed. I'm open to advice obviously. Thanks for your response!

Boiled, slit and deli cup is the current plan, so confirmation is good. :) Now I've never had to boil a pinky before. It's my understanding you thaw as usual then either pour boiling water over it or place briefly in boiling water til the color change. What's your advice on how best to boil? Thanks!

I'd thaw and pour boiling water over it. It cooks instantly. I sit through the head and back, and serve boiling hot.

I put a Corning Ware coffee cup 2/3 full of water in the microwave heat for a couple of minutes, then drop the thawed pinkie into it. Take cup to feeding area, use tongs to take out pinkie, put into deli cup, put snakeling into deli cup, put the lid on deli cup, put deli cup under a pillow and leave alone for an hour. Worked for me!

Boiled, slit and deli cup is the current plan, so confirmation is good. :) Now I've never had to boil a pinky before. It's my understanding you thaw as usual then either pour boiling water over it or place briefly in boiling water til the color change. What's your advice on how best to boil? Thanks!

Back