• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Proud New Owner

jenni1985

Hi all.

Am new to the forum and thought i should introduce myself. My name's Jenn (short for Jennifer but I never use my full name if i can). I have very recently bought 4 corns - 1 male & 3 females. Not sure of their breeding/genetics. I know one of my females is amelystic but not sure of the rest. I'll post pics once i get them onto the pc from my phone. Maybe some of you will be able to give me a few hints?

I've been told some of the basics on how to look after them but I'm still a bit unsure of some of the finer points. I was told that they would quite happily live at room temp but what temp should their viv actually be kept at? At the moment I'm struggling a bit with the temp in the viv as i don't have a thermostat for my heat mat so it's only getting switched on for a couple of hours at a time as i don't want to leave it on when i go out or go to bed incase they overheat.

I'm also a bit worried about one of my females and the male. They were due a feed on Thursday but as i was going to collect them that day their owner didn't feed them. i managed to feed two of the females but the other one and the male weren't interested in the mice they were offered. I tried again last night and they still wouldn't feed. The male is due to shed and i was told that this might put him off his food but i don't understand why the female won't feed as i wasn't told that she was due to shed. Can anyone help?

I think that's it for now but i'll prob have more questions soon as I'm hoping to start breeding them once they have settled into their new home.

hope someone can help

Jenn

xx

Hello and Welcome to the Forums!!! Sure post picks in the photo forum and we will help you out.

It sounds like you are keeping them all in the same cage. I would see if you could put them all in separate cages. Do a search on cohabitation and read a few threads on it. If you can't get 3 new viv's I would at least take the one male out.

With feeding, I would take 1 f/t mouse and put it in a separate container with one of the snakes that didn't eat. You can leave them in this over night. (Make sure there are a few holes and a strong lid).

Good luck and you can PM me with any other questions.

You can use plastic shoe boxes with air holes in them until you can get proper setups for them. Sometimes, also, moving and new locations put them off their feed for a few days. Don't worry, give her time and she'll snatch that moose out of your hand.

You should definitely get a thermostat or rheostat to control the heat mat, as they can get hot enough to burn or even kill the snakes if they are not regulated.

A digital thermometer with probe set right on the center of the heat mat is needed as well to make sure you are measuring the hottest point the snake can reach. This should be set to 85 degrees max.

Hi, welcome to the site!!

Everyone's said what needs to be said. DEFINITELY try to separate the snakes into separate vivs. And the added stress of multiple snakes in the same cage can set some snakes of there food.

I'm sure they'll all do great and start eating, congratulations on the new pets!And I I'd love to see some pictures too.

Thank you very much to everyone who replied. I've gotten a lot of useful info from the links that were posted. I'll get photos of the snakes posted as soon as i can get my damn bluetooth adapter working.....

thanks again

jenn

xx

nice!!

You said that your going to breed them right??? Well I was searching around the net and found and awesome like to a website that talks all about breeding corns. (You might have all the info you need but I just thought I would through it out there just in case... :D Well anyway here is the link...

http://www.vmsherp.com/LCBreedingCorns.htm

And ps. WELCOME TO THE FORUMS.

And good luck with your new family members. :grin01: :grin01: :grin01:

Hope that helps, Butters :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

I admit to not know what the temp is in Scotland, but room temp.??? You should do a search on temps and co-habing. Each tank should have a warm 80-85 and a cool 70-75. Your snakes need the warmth to properly digest thier food.
As far as not eating: How long did you give them to settle in to thier new home before you tried to feed them? Is the female that won't eat the same one who you have been told is gravid? If so that may be why she isn't eating. The male may have girl snakes on his mind and not want to eat, that is typical for male snakes this time of the year, my one male only ate twice from March to June.
Most definately seperate the gravid female and the male, each in thier own viv. The male could be breeding the other females and he will definatly stress the gravid female. Do a search on breeding so you can be prepared for egg laying. susan

Back