• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

My thermostat or thermometer or temp gun is freaking out HELP ASAP

Taz Monkey

Ok my thermometer right now says 94.8. My temp gun says its 94.9. My herpstat right now is set on 84 but on the screen it says 78.8 and the red light is on indicating full power is being applied now. I have Fluffy out so no worries but WTH is going on and what should I do!!

I'm guessing you already checked this, but I've heard of it happening in the past: Is the temperature probe at the correct location for the thermostat?

the temp probe and the thermostat probe are right beside each other. I dug up the aspen and did like 5 different places on the heat mat. Could the heat mat be faulty? I have no idea what to do. Should I just unplug everything before I put her back in? Its not like I have a back up viv to put her in.

I'm not an expert, but as long as she is not digesting food, it's probably safer to turn off the heat mat until you can get it to a safe temperature. Just don't feed her until you can get her heat working again..

Sorry I can't help with the technical aspect. :( It sounds like the thermostat is having the problem though and not the heat mat. UTH normally get very hot when unregulated so maybe it's a probably with the thermostat not sensing the correct temperature and turning the mat on/off as needed?

Not sure if this helps, but on their website it says there is a 1 year limited warranty. Not sure what the limit is, but it might be worth checking out.

In the meantime, you could get a cheap lamp dimmer. You can always return it after with a receipt, or keep it for a backup!

Hopefully someone knowledgeable with thermostats will come along. I know with my dimmers they tend to go wonky if I unplug them without turning them off first, but I have no experience with thermostats. :(

I have a dimmer but when I used it it was all out of whack and I have to work. I think I'll call them tomorrow and see what they say. And it only took a few days for it to get here when I ordered it so we'll see. The thermostat says 100.6 now.

Well I went to bed and unplugged everything. I do have a cheap thermostat as well as a dimmer but neither of those kept the temp correct, which is what led me to buy the herpstat in the first place. And with having to work for 9 hours and no way to cone home I don't feel comfortable using either of those things. So I guess Fluffy will be cold for a little while. I emailed spyderrobotics and hopefully they will get back to me asap. Good thing is that I'm going to a reptile expo on Saturday and it looks line there will be several vendors there including a herpstat resaler so maybe I can get a new one there or at least ask what went wrong.

Hmm. I'll be interested to hear what Dion says. I usually hear back from him the same day- if you don't, I'd e-mail him again.

I hope to hear back from him soon as today is her feeding day but I can't feed her when it's 70 degrees in the warmest spot in her viv :( Poor Fluffy.

He emailed me back and we have deduced that it is most likely the probe, and not the unit because even though both the thermometer and the temp gun were saying it was 100 degrees on the UTH, the herpstat was still giving full power because it thought it was 77 degrees. So he's shipping me out a new probe today to see if that works. My new thermometer from Big Apple will also be arriving tomorrow so I'm pretty excited about that, as well as the reptile expo on Saturday which I'm sure I will come back with all sorts of goodies. I'm thinking of buying some mice so I don't have to pay the enormous shipping costs from buying them online.

Well- keep me updated! It's always to know what is going on with these things in case it happens to someone else.

Ok just an update...the new probe came in the mail on the morning of the 2nd day after he shipped it, so yay for Spyder Robotics customer service! And it everything is back to being just fine. So problem solved!

That's good news. We'll have to remember it when trouble shooting, next time. What an easy fix- just the probe not a whole new thermostat. I have one that is _really_ old. The probe looks completely different. They must normally hold up a long time.

Back