• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

First Day getting to handle my snake!

restes

He is about 11 months old. I have had him for about a week now and I plan on really handling him for a bit today. I have held him before and he never stuck at me or anything.

Any tips on how long i should handle him or any specific way I should start out?
He spends most of his time hiding in the cold side and does his very best to make sure he can not be seen from any angle. I assume this means he is not comfortable with being seen. I am not sure he has even touched his water yet either. Any advice would be great!

I am essentially a noobie myself..however I noticed our 2010 hatchling hid completely for one week when he arrived. We had to dig him out to handle him and he really strained to get away for the first few seconds. We held him for 10 - 15 minutes once or twice a day...it has now been 2 1/2 weeks of that. He now seems comfortable enough to hang out in his ferns, more or less in plain sight watching the goings on and dosen't really try to get away when we open his viv. He seems pretty social. He seems to foget how much he likes us after every meal. So, at the 48 hr point, we basically dig him out, he trys to slither back briefly, then seems to be content to be a bracelet until his next meal. Good luck with your baby...and be careful. They are like potato chips. You can't have just one. On June 10 we had no snakes, by July 8 we will have 3!!

Have you fed him, and has he finished digesting yet? I would hold off handling until the first feeding is successfully completed.

That being said, he isn't a little baby, so you should be fine to take him out and handle for 15-30 minutes. I'd go sit and watch TV with him, and just hold him cuddled up to your chest. Try to keep him calm, not get him wound up. You want to instill in him that when he comes out you hold him and he sits in your hand calmly, without having to be on the move constantly. When you feel like you have had enough, he's undoubtedly had enough too.

Thanks!
I handled him for 2 sessions Monday at 10-15 mins each and once yesterday for 15. A couple hours after handling him he was very receptive to me picking him up and placing him in the feeding "bin" (giant tupperwear bowl). I placed him in there with 3 thawed/warmed pinkies and he ate 2 of them. I left him relax for 30 minutes or so and when I went to pick him back up he got CRANKY. So rather than trying to handle him I tilted the bowl over his habitat and let him slide out on his own.
I realize now that my handling/feeding order may not have been ideal but luckilly all worked out great! He is in his warm hide now but last night was peaking his head out and checking things out when he saw any light. It was quite entertaining. :)

Also, he is about 16-18 inches long (almost 1 year old). He ate 2 pinkies so I am considering moving him up a size but the next size up at the closest Petco is a jumper. From the feel of it they are about twice the size of a pinky. I could see a mild bulge from the 2 pinkies in him so do you think it is too early to go bigger?

i wouldnt move him up to a hopper. The next step would be a fuzzy, and for some people a peach fuzzy. For now i would say to stay on the pinkies since you can still see a lump and after you dont see it to move him up.

Alright I will just keep him on the 2 pinkies for now unless I can find some pink fuzzies. I went to Petco and 3 pinkies were $4.99...
I make plenty of money but that can really add up. I am currently in Texas (USA) for the summer. Anyone had experience buying from PetSmart selection/price wise?

Petsmart is the same way. Maybe worse. Have you looked to see if you have a snake group near you? Maybe you could go in on an order online splitting the shipping cost with someone, or if there are any reptile shows you can get feeders there.

I just bought 4 large adult mice (bloody) from PetSmart for $10.99.. Needless to say, I went and found a local breeder that sells them for half the price.

Back