• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Next snake ideas?

dtfleming

Currently have three corns with plans for another. I am thinking of trying a different type of snake from corns. Right now I am interesting in western hognose and pubelo milksnake. I would like to hear from people that have or are currently keeping them.

Thanks.

The western hognoses are fun.. mine is one of the typical "RAWR I AM A RATTLESNAKE OR A COBRA GET AWAY FROM ME! HISSSSSSSS" hoggies.. I love him to death. Sometimes, he's a bit over occupied trying to scare me to the point that he will skip a meal. If you do get one, make sure that whoever you buy from is selling one that is feeding on pinkies (or other mouse sizes if older). In the wild they eat amphibians, and I have heard that some captives are fincky and want toads (mine eats fuzzies without issue). They are very small snakes (in my mind).. females get a bit bigger. Their care is pretty simple too. I have my room kept around 82 degrees, and the location where his tub is gets around 85, so he does not have additional heat on him. Remember that they do carry a small amount of venom, but this venom is amphibian specific, and their fangs are located in the backs of their mouths (in other words, it's unlikely that you'll get bitten unless you shove your finger down there & if you happen to get snagged by a fang, you will be just fine. If you are allergic to the venom, you may swell). Mine head-butts ALOT, but he never opens his mouth to bite me.

I don't have a pueblo milk, but I do have a sinaloan that I got last week. He is by far one of my sweetest snakes and tolerates handling well, he also eats anything that smells like a mouse. I keep him like I do my corns, in a 41 quart tub with an 86 degree warm side.

Thanks for the advice. I have been doing some research on both. I'm not worried about the hognose with the venom, it's basically the same kind of toxin that my phyollbates dart frogs have.

I like the nelson's also. Guess I'll get both:p I plan on make a snake condo for my corns and either of these two.

Thanks for the advice. I have been doing some research on both. I'm not worried about the hognose with the venom, it's basically the same kind of toxin that my phyollbates dart frogs have.

That it is :laugh:
Batrachotoxin! (to throw in a fun $20 word).
You'll have fun with whatever you choose to get :)

I was actually trying to make that decision a few months ago. I went with a Pueblan Milksnake. I love my corns and the biggest thing I love was their colors so a milk seemed like a better choice. I love my little guy to death. They are a little more skid-ish than corns but they calm down pretty quickly when being held. My little guy likes his chin scratched so that makes him a favorite with my husband.

Back