• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Questions for breeders.

Spencer

Hey guys.

I've been thinking alot, after I finish my time in Japan, About starting a snake breeding business/ hobby. Anyways, though, I was curious, I see things like Snake bytes Tv on youtube, and other larger scale breeders. I would think that they dont have every single viv hooked up to a UTH, Otherwise the fuses would be overloaded. How do Large scale breeders keep a temperature gradient for their snakes? Does anyone have an idea, Or is it actually as complicated as they do have UTH's hooked up and taped to the bottom of all of their vivs?

Another question. I've only seen yearlings available for sale from pet stores, and I Actually think Breeders would sell cheaper than pet stores anyways. Do breeders sell to individuals, and would they sell A couple that would be ready to breed right away? If I did start the hobby, I would prefer if I didnt have to wait three years to start it. Do Adult snakes typically go for more than younger ones? or less? and Do breeders sell cheaper than pet stores?

Anyways, If you Cant help, no worries, maybe this isnt the avenue to be asking all these questions, But I've been wondering about them for the past couple months as I started researching snakes, and I cant find an answer online, maybe I just didnt search properly, etc.

http://www.cornsnakes.com/forums/showthread.php?t=126082

http://snakesnmoresnakes.blogspot.com/2009/08/corn-snake-breeders-list-and-links-to.html

Research is the key - most hobby breeders have scaled down on the amount of pairings that they are doing right now due to the market. If you want to do this as a full time business research is definitely the key - make sure you have a market and research the prices in your area - most people are barely making enough to break even these days due to the economy.

As far as UTH goes - most breeders use a rack system with heat tape. The thermostat is hooked to the rack system - no need for individual tanks and multiple UTH if you are going to have a large collection. There are several threads on here including one of ours showing various types of rack systems for snake collections.

Back