• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

No constriction response?

anderson110

I bought my corn snake about a month ago.

He just had his 3rd feeding. The first time I fed him, he gave the F/T mouse a nice wrap up, and held tight for a good minute before eating him.

I noticed on the 2nd feeding that his constriction was kind of half-hearted, he kind of barely wrapped the mouse and only held it for about 5-10 seconds.

This time, he didn't constrict at all. He just grabbed the mouse with his mouth, I gave it a little tug from the tail with the tongs to try to get him to "fight" it a little, but nothing. When I let go, he started swallowing the mouse immediately.

Is this anything to be watching or concerned about?

My corn snake has never constricted his food either, he just strikes at the mouse and eat it but I don't think it's bad since he doesn't need to as all his food items are frozen/thawed although I don't know if they actually need it for their muscles to work out...

Mine's just a baby he might start constricting as I switch the prey items and she starts growing.

It varies depending on the snake. He knows it won't fight back, so why waste energy 'killing' it? About half my adults will constrict, the others just eat.

Thanks for the feedback. I guess he figured out pretty quickly that I feed him dead mice and constricting isn't necessary. I won't worry about it then.

Mine constrict &/or strike at some feedings, other times if it was live mouse it could have moved to a different country and started a family by the time the snake started eating it.

No worries for you :) "snake's gonna snake".

My corn does not strike or constrict... she just opens her mouth and starts omnomming.
My ball python on the other hand is a WHIP.

Yea my dude strikes like a champ then goes limp. A min later he starts nommm nommnom . Never constricts.

I hope mine never constricts. I've heard of waterlogged thawed mice exploding when squeezed by overzealous constrictors. That is not a problem I ever want to have to deal with.

Mostly, mine just 'find' the food.. poke at it a little (finding the right end to start at?) and then start swallowing. Every once in a while someone will backup/drag the food around a little before swallowing.

With my first two snakes, there were a few times where Moe showed little interest in the mouse, and I'd hold the mouse in tongs and 'tease her with it - sort of agitating her until she'd strike and usually wrap up around the mouse for a short time before beginning to eat.

I guess not constricting is pretty normal with pet corns.. They have the instinct to strike and squeeze if the prey reacts (tries to escape). But there's no need to spend that energy if they don't need to.

My little IJ carpet has popped mice (not pretty), but my corns have all been dainty eaters - occasionally a little strike, but no wrapping, no fuss, no bother...

Back