• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

These two are actually related....

Rich Z

Administrator
Staff member
different_eggs_001.jpg

charcoal_odd_eggs_001.jpg

I thought that second was a really nice one. I saw it in the "mystery tank" last year in Daytona. I managed to get a pewter male and lavendar female. Really nice Rich.

Well if the bottom one is a charcoal, what's the top? A normal het for everything under the sun? :)

It's just an example of a mystery I am trying to figure out. I only get a few of them per year so it is taking a while to get enough breeding stock to work with. Males seem to be real hard to come by, so that complicates things.

Rich Z said:
It's just an example of a mystery I am trying to figure out. I only get a few of them per year so it is taking a while to get enough breeding stock to work with. Males seem to be real hard to come by, so that complicates things.

Do you think it's something new? I'm assuming each of those are het for a few things and I'd assume the parents of those two snakes are also.

Joejr14 said:
Do you think it's something new? I'm assuming each of those are het for a few things and I'd assume the parents of those two snakes are also.

I guess it is new. I've produced a a handful over the last few years and they all came from a particular project I have been working on. These weren't the target of the project, however. I guess when I finally have a male and female of this type to breed together, maybe I'll know more.

What are they, phenotypically? Since you seem reluctant to share their genes. ;)

The grey one is stunning, and everyone knows I don't generally like anery's. I love the saddling effect, looks like someone literally drew on it with a piece of charcoal or a black crayon.

It may be the camera or my monitor, but I have the feeling something is different with the irridophores also - they have a different shining on them, nearly like their colors are behind some glass or so...
Really nice!

Rich Z said:
I guess it is new. I've produced a a handful over the last few years and they all came from a particular project I have been working on. These weren't the target of the project, however. I guess when I finally have a male and female of this type to breed together, maybe I'll know more.
If you haven't gotten any males yet, it may be on the Z chromosome. (Are you ready for the hair-pulling?) If that's the case then the below pile of fun applies:

(ZZ makes a male, Z_ makes a female, and consider the normal as Z and mutant as z)

- It would act dominant in (z_) females, so female normals (Z_) would NOT be het for it.
- It would act recessive in males, so they have to be homozygous (zz) for it to show in a male.

- Female mutants would NOT pass it on to any of their daughters (the daughters all inherit the _ from them.)
- Female mutants would pass it on to ALL of their sons, so normal sons would be Zz.

- Female mutant (z_) X Normal male (ZZ) throws:
female normals (Z_) none of which are het,
male normals (Zz) that are het for the mutant.

- Male normal hets (Zz) crossed to normal females (Z_) would throw
normal females (Z_)
mutant females (z_)
normal males (poss het, Zz or ZZ)

- If you are only getting female mutants in a clutch, the gene is coming from their father not their mother. (The father is het (Zz), the mother is a (Z_) non-carrier.)

-To get a male mutant, you'd have to cross a male het (or homo) to a female mutant. (Zz x z_ OR zz X z_)

----

All better now? ;) Anyway, it's something to consider as a possibility if you're getting lopsided results between one gender and the other.

I have at least one male that hatched out in 2004. May be more stashed away somewhere, but I do know that most of them have been females. The reason this sticks in my mind is because I wanted males to breed to those females that line came out of. Since I tend to use several males, there is always some doubt about exactly which male is the one carrying this trait, so it complicates figuring things out. If I breed one of the males to a female of this type, does it mean HE is not the one carrying the trait, or does it mean that my luck just sucks yet again? :shrugs:

A simpler summary:

If it's sexlinked, (IF) then you have a male normal (the father of the female mutant, or the father of any of those female mutants) who is a definite carrier. Crossing him to the mutant female should produce male mutants, male normals, female mutants, and female normals.

And (IF it's sexlinked, then) crossing him to any normal female in the galaxy should produce female mutants, female normals, and male normals. (No male mutants!)

Rich Z said:
If I breed one of the males to a female of this type, does it mean HE is not the one carrying the trait, or does it mean that my luck just sucks yet again? :shrugs:
Heh, good question. Either way, (normal recessive, or sex-linked) breeding a normal son back to his mutant mother should produce a 50/50 split of normals/mutants like with any other regular recessive gene.

If instead you just get all normals from mother to son, then I'd assume for the moment that your luck was as bad as usual. (If there are multiple examples of the morph from different clutches with normal parents, it's very likely to be genetic and recessive, IMO. Whether or not it's sex-linked then is more of a trivia question until weird results pop up.)

Enough of this type of animal has showed up over the years that it would seem to indicate that it is a genetic trait. However all efforts I have tried using suspected heterozygous mates have failed to give me expected results.

Of course with this revelation brought out recently with the Ultramels, I'm looking at them with a more jaundiced eye wondering if there is something much less obvious going on. Of course, I could be using that as the boogieman too, blaming all weird occurrences on it.

So no, until I have more to say then "I don't really know", I prefer not to say much at all about the genetic stock possibly at play here.

Whatever it is it's gorgeous. Good thing we have Serp around to figure that stuff out - and my boyfriend thinks I'm a genetics geek ;) ...

~Katie

Back