• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

My Western Hoggie.

Ginafish

Erotic Bagle
So today I headed off to the Wasatch Reptile Expo that's going on today and tomorrow, after I got off work...and I had in my sights either a Rosy Boa, or a Western Hognose snake...and after three hours of indecision came home with a female Western Hognose! She's a year old and thriving on pinkies according to the breeder.

Anywho, I didn't want to take too many shots of her since I didn't wanna stress her out; she's simply a perfect little lady to hold, though. No striking or puffing or anything! I'm still thinking of a good name...originally, I'd planned for a male hoggie and was going to name him Cash (after Johnny Cash, who reminds me of a rattlesnake for some reason, and rattlesnakes are sorta like hognoses as far as coloration in my mind...yeah, I'm nuts).

Here she is!

IMG_2202.jpg

IMG_2207.jpg

IMG_2213.jpg

Congratulations on your new hoggie!!!!!! She is a really cool snake, I think they are so unique.:)

Nice hoggie! They are without a doubt a very interesting and fun snake. They are definitely very different from any of the other colubrids we have in our collection in so many ways. Have fun with your new little friend :)

Hissy eating her mouse the hard way
DSC_0013-cropped.jpg

whippet said:
how large do they get...they always look so tiny.

Yeah they stay fairly small...from what I've read, and heard, they stay in the two to three foot range. I'm still surprised that the one I just bought is already a year old! She's such a little peanut.
:grin01:

DeadMouse, Hissy has a unique way of munching down her pinkie! :eek1: I can't wait to see my little hoggie's own behaviors develop over time. These snakes are too dang cute!

Ginafish said:
DeadMouse, Hissy has a unique way of munching down her pinkie! :eek1: I can't wait to see my little hoggie's own behaviors develop over time. These snakes are too dang cute!

Hissy is definitely my psycho snake! She's always coming at me with her mouth wide open. She looks like something out of a bad horror movie ;) Of the 4 female hoggies I currently have, 3 of them have this kind of monstrous feeding response, Hissy's being by far the worst. You've already seen some of her "table" manners with that last pic :crazy02: All of my males though are so laid back it's not even funny. But I'm sure it's just that there's such a huge difference in sizes between the males and the females and my females are definitely going through growth spurts right now. Hissy has gone from 74 grams last month to 92 this month and she's always rushing the tank looking for more food regardless of how much/often I feed her. But we love her to death and can't wait til we try breeding her out next year! :)

Back