• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Isabel Brumates

Nanci

Alien Lover
She's finally gone to sleep for the winter. Isabel had been slowing down drastically for several days- waking up to eat, but spending more and more time sleeping on top of her hide. Then yesterday she went in, closed her eyes, and went into brumation. She'll crack her eyes open if she hears me, but doesn't move.

Attachments

• Brumating Isabel 003_800.jpg
    Brumating Isabel 003_800.jpg
    260.4 KB · Views: 78
It's 71F in there. She has a ceramic heater at the other end of her viv that stays on all night, so she doesn't get down to the 64F I let the house get to.

Attachments

• Brumating Isabel 002_800.jpg
    Brumating Isabel 002_800.jpg
    223.4 KB · Views: 77
I just covered her up with her blankie. Well, that's it for the pics- sleeping lizards don't do much.

Thanks for looking!

Attachments

• Brumating Isabel 005_800.jpg
    Brumating Isabel 005_800.jpg
    268 KB · Views: 76
My Beardy has been brumating for a while now! She's been running around the past couple of days, but she hasnt eaten yet. Isabel is beautiful!

Isabel is a Bearded Dragon, Citrus morph. She changes color a lot. Two days ago she was covered with black spots. She's two years old.

Nanci, Isabel is awesome!

You and her are inspiring me to get a beardie. I think that is the top of my list for 2008.

You and her are inspiring me to get a beardie. I think that is the top of my list for 2008.
Do it, Rich. You won't be disappointed. They're great lizards, take easily to handling, and can perch/bask on your shoulder while you stroll around the house.

My two are down for the winter as well - they're "crashed" for around 20hrs/day - but will still eat greens once a week, and empty their bowels every two weeks or so....

regards,
jazz

Do uros close down for the winter? Last night was the first time I learned that uros close down at night..I had just come home and checked on Cyrax but when I poked him and he didn't move I got really worried..once I picked him up he opened his eyes and looked at me so I knew he was okay..but I didn't even know lizards went into such a shutdown mode..guess I"m still learning..:shrugs::shrugs:

Good for Isabel! She looks beautiful...:)

I haven't put Jolie into brumation yet, mostly because I've never put anything into brumation & I'm really not quite sure what or how to do it...and, with Jolie having been sick mid-fall & her not having eaten for awhile during late summer/early fall, I guess that I have been so worried about keeping her eating & pooping (which she still isn't doing regularly, and I'm attributing that to what the vet calls the "seasonal anorexia"), thus I haven't put her into brumation, because of...well, it's become a vicious cycle.

Any suggestions? Should I just get her to poop & then turn off her timer & let her sleep in -- and hope that nature takes its brumating course?

isabel put herself into brumation. i didnt stop feeding her or turn off her lights.

Well, in reading more about beardie brumation, I've come to the conclusion that some brumate, some do not, and each is unique & pig-headed in making that decision for him/herself. :p I even tried to decrease Jolie's awake hours & when I checked on her this morning, after her lights would have gone on, she was already awake, looking at me like I was crazy. She appears drowsy every so often, but perks right back up. I'll just keep up everything as-per-usual and let her figure it out for herself...:shrugs: My thought is, is that she thinks that she's going to miss out on something if she finally does go to sleep! I dunno...:nope:

Good for Isabel for having a decent brain in her head! :)

Do it, Rich. You won't be disappointed. They're great lizards, take easily to handling, and can perch/bask on your shoulder while you stroll around the house.

My two are down for the winter as well - they're "crashed" for around 20hrs/day - but will still eat greens once a week, and empty their bowels every two weeks or so....

regards,
jazz

OK I am convinced.

Is there a book, like Kathy Love's or Don Soderberg, that I need to read about the basic care of beardies?

Awwwwwwwww Nanci Isabel is such a doll!! I am a big fan of hers too! She's gettin' her beauty rest!
Wish I could brumate!! :angry01: lol

You should have seen her this morning! You'd have to get one! She hasn't moved, a millimeter, from her sleeping spot, but she cracks her eye open. So when I was leaving for work, I was down at her level, saying "Who's my sweetie lizard?" over and over, and she'd look at me, look away, look back- it's just too adorable. You never make that kind of eye contact with a snake...

The two big things for dragons are the lighting and the diet. They make snakes seem so simple! And don't keep babies on sand, or calcisand, no matter what you read or what anyone tells you!!

Books: (There are lots. I like the first two a lot, the third is interesting. All have some information the others don't have).

The Bearded Dragon Manual (Advanced Vivarium Systems) by Philippe De Vosjoli

Bearded Dragons: A Complete Guide to Pogona Vitticeps (Complete Herp Care) by Philip Purser

The Bearded Dragon: An Owner's Guide to a Happy Healthy Pet by Steve Grenard

And the good website is http://www.beardeddragon.org They'll keep you in line so you don't kill your new dragon!

Okay, a sleeping beardie with a special blankie is just about the most adorable thing EVER...

Back